fletchpl

Can't Resize or Move Windows remotely through VNC

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:01 am

Hi,

I access my Raspberry Pi remotely through VNC Viewer, originally I only saw a low resolution screen but after searching this forum I discovered that I could alter the settings in config.txt to give me a high resolution screen.

I set the following:-

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=82

and I get a high resolution screen.

The problem I am having is that whenever I open a window such as the Terminal window or any other application the new window is opened in the top left of the screen and I can not move it or resize it.
I have tried pressing alt and using the mouse to move it but nothing enables me to move or resize the screen.

I suspect that I need to alter something else in config.txt, I have read the documentation on it but can not figure out which setting to alter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards.

DirkS

Re: Can't Resize or Move Windows

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:41 am

So you're trying to move / resize using the keyboard?
Does it work with a mouse?

This should work with keyboard: <ALT+space> should show the window menu, now choose the action (e.g. move) and then the cursor keys should move the window around (if it's not maximised

fletchpl

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:48 am

thanks for your reply.

I am not trying to move the windows using the keyboard I am trying to use the mouse.

I have discovered that when I open Libre Office I can resize the window but I still can not move it, however when I open up a terminal window I can not move or resize it.

I have tried using the mouse and pressing alt at the same time but the window will not move.

DirkS

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:28 am

fletchpl wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:48 am
I have tried using the mouse and pressing alt at the same time but the window will not move.
Normally you would click and hold in the title bar and just drag the window around.
To resize: move to one of the sides (or corner) of a window until you see the cursor change to the resizing cursor.
Then again just click and hold to resize the window

Not sure what's not working for you...

fletchpl

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:48 am

I have tried clicking on the title bar and moving the mouse but the window will not move, I have tried clicking on the corners and moving the mouse but the window will not move.

I am accessing the Raspberry Pi remotely using VNC Viewer on an Apple MacBook Pro.

It was working before I reset the resolution.

DirkS

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:58 am

fletchpl wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:48 am
I have tried clicking on the title bar and moving the mouse but the window will not move,
Make sure you drag (click and hold) the title bar
I have tried clicking on the corners and moving the mouse but the window will not move.
Don't click on the corners (or sides)... just move until the cursor changes to the resize cursor (they have arrows) then drag (click and hold)
BTW: these actions only work if these windows are *not* maximised.

It's not easy to find out what's going wrong. I can't see what's on your screen or what you're doing exactly...

fletchpl

Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:16 am

I know how to move windows.

The cursor does not change when in the Terminal window and I can not move the window.

IO4NN1S

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:56 pm

DirkS wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:41 am
This should work with keyboard: <ALT+space> should show the window menu, now choose the action (e.g. move) and then the cursor keys should move the window around (if it's not maximised)

I had the same problem, but I tried what DirkS recommended and it worked! Thanks DirkS!

All you need to do is type ALT+Space and the select Move either with keyboard or mouse.
Once you move the window then you can move and resize any other window normally (using the mouse that is).

I don't know why Pi does that sometimes, but all I can say is problem solved!

morre

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:35 am

I have exactly the same problem. The mouse pointer changes when approaching the edge of a window, but re-size or move is not possible, nothing happens with a left button press and mouse drag. Even the icons for minimize-maximize-exit in the right upper corner are unresponsive. The keyboard shortcut alt+space works, but this is not the solution I am looking for. Was this problem ever solved?

morre

Re: Can't Resize or Move Windows remotely through VNC

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:06 pm

In my case this was the solution: Go to Settings on the main menu and then to Appearance settings. Choose the Defaults tab and click one of the choices. Problem gone, but I don't know why or what happened in the first place.

adriansusianto

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:00 am

morre wrote:
In my case this was the solution: Go to Settings on the main menu and then to Appearance settings. Choose the Defaults tab and click one of the choices. Problem gone, but I don't know why or what happened in the first place.
Yes this also works for me.
But yet still didnt know what caused the Desktop windows can not be controlled, before all was fine

Beavis

Wed May 01, 2019 5:38 am

morre wrote:
Your fix worked for me as well, thanks so much! How did you know how to do that, was it your discovery? I would never have discovered that because I never touch those default settings. I was wondering, though, did you have this problem only on the VNC connection, or did the regular physical desktop (keyboard -> USB and monitor -> HDMI) have the problem as well? And what did you use for the VNC server on the Pi? Did you use the pre-installed server that comes with Raspbian? I purged it (with apt-get), and then I didsudo apt-get install tightvncserver

Also, did you have any luck with the Alt-Space solution? I had partial success, in that I could then use the mouse to drag windows, but was still unable to click the minimize/restore/close buttons. But your solution seems to have fixed all of my problems using VNC (which I'm using right now). Maybe tomorrow I will check to see how the physical desktop is working.

Once again, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!

morre

Sun May 05, 2019 11:14 am

Well, the solution is the result of a brute force approach. It has nothing to do with VNC, you have the same problem regardless connecting via VNC or using the regular desktop. The Alt-Space works, but is a bit awkward if you otherwise use the mouse for window operations.

ReddTedd59

Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:10 am

I found a way to fix this the retains all of the custom settings I did with obconf. This differs from the solution of resetting to defaults, which also kills all customization's you may have made.

It seems that obconf and the different raspian panel mod tools all end up deleting the <keyboard> and <mouse> sections from ~.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml. Just go grab those two sections from /etc/xdg/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml and reinsert them into ~.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml.

once you do that logout and back in and there you go mouse works on windows and all of your other customization's are still there too!

RossDv8

Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:16 am

My Pi 4 has just done this to me again and I am not accessing it through VNC. The problem is as annoying though and even 'on the desktop' using the defaults method is failiing.

For anyone who isn;t comfortable fiddling around with config files (for example - beginners), and who tried the 'defaults' method. I just discovered with the latest kernel (at Dec 2019) if I choose the Large Screens default, I get my title bar actions back - UNTIL - I edit the double click on title bar on Openbox config. Then I am hack to locked up and can't move, resize or click on title bar stuff. But if I click on Medium Screens default, all seems ok again.

I have no idea whether this is a coincidence since I upgraded my kernel, because until today I had not had this problem again for some weeks.

For now I am about to write a little script and whack it on the desktop or the panel so I can click on it and copy the file across with a click (or two if the settings have gone back to defaults :D ).

A script to sutomate what ReddTedd59 suggests, should easily solve my problem and might be something to consider for anyone accessing remotely through VNC.
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

sunny.sarge

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:36 am

Thank you ReddTedd59. Your solution worked! :D

Return to “Troubleshooting”