Harrkev

Scratchy YouTube audio over HDMI -- Raspbian, 3B+

Sun May 27, 2018 1:43 am

I had to re-install Rasbian on my 3b+ and am having a problem.

When playing YouTube video, the HDMI audio is scratchy using Chromium. It SEEMS like it is a problem where the CPU cannot keep up. However, using an older version of Raspbian on the exact same hardware, I was able to play YouTube just fine. I also used to be able to watch YouTube using my old 3B (not the plus version). Using VLC to play Internet radio streams works smoothly, so that means that it is not a hardware problem.

I also tried blowing away my Chromium configuration files, so no extensions were installed, and that did not help. I also have a Chrome extension called "h264ify" that is supposed to force YouTube to use h.264. That makes no difference. Changing between 720p and 144p makes little difference.

I have a large heatsink attached, so I have plenty of cooling. Temperature is below 65C. I have a 3A power supply, so that is not an issue.

So, has something changed with the latest version of Chromium that makes it less efficient? Would increasing the ALSA buffer size help? And if so, how do I change it?

Stock latest Rasbian (April 2018 version with latest updates as of today -- 5/26/18) on a 3B+ booting off of USB SSD. Vanilla install, but I set my SDRAM to 500 MHz (extensively tested to be stable). 1920x1200 resolution. Swap memory set to 2G. Fstab changed to "commit=300." The only extra software installed is: emacs, vlc, gparted, okular.

Thanks in advance.

canavas

Re: Scratchy YouTube audio over HDMI -- Raspbian, 3B+

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:03 am

I am having the same problem on my B+. I started from scratch with an image of Stretch and it worked fine for a little while then the scratchy sound came back. Music sounds terrible. I guess I will try a third time and see what happens.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:16 am

canavas wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:03 am
I am having the same problem on my B+. I started from scratch with an image of Stretch and it worked fine for a little while then the scratchy sound came back. Music sounds terrible. I guess I will try a third time and see what happens.

Have you tried kweb ???

viewtopic.php?t=40860
Retired disgracefully.....

TheDanimal

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:54 am

I'm having the exact same problem on my b+.

Same configuration as those above. Brand new, heatsinks, running at 45°C max, genuine power supply.

It was working fine on chromium for a few hours, then all of a sudden it's popping and crackling. Feel like it can't keep up with the data...or something. Have tried all the basic "fixes" I've found online, nothing seems to work. Plenty of ram and resources left. CPU is barely using 20%.

Will keep an eye on this thread... hopefully someone cleverer than me has a fix :)

TheDanimal

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:06 pm

Actually, I ight have stumbled across a fix. It worked for me at least.

It's not Pi specific, but Linux is Linux when it comes down to it.
Go to this link:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/405071/ ... hdmi-audio

The solution is about 3 comments down, a green check mark beside it.

As it says, follow the instructions.
Edit that file. Save it and reboot your Pi.

My audio is perfect now. Will see if it lasts.

canavas

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:09 am

Thank you very much, that fixed it for me. How in the world did you come across that?

Audio is great now.

Carlos.

TheDanimal

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:26 am

Just a few well placed keywords on Google...after a couple hours of searching and reading through squinting eyes that is.

I widened the search by cutting out raspian and raspberry pi in the search and just used linux. It was one of the first that matched the problem we were having.

Just luck really. I thought it couldn't hurt to try something general Linux based when nothing else was working.
:)

Return to “Troubleshooting”