remote_duck

Re: Raspberry Pi doesn't stay powered up for long.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:39 am

Hey everyone. I just figured I would chime in as well. I also received a raspberry pi last month from RS that was meant to be a gift to someone else. I got the SD card loaded up and same thing, it won't stay on for more than 3-5ish minutes. I also have an older pi which I got in April/March-ish and with all the same keyboard/power/card etc...works just fine. So with a "control" pi, and everything else held constant it looks like a bad batch went out. I'm going to try to contact RS as well and try to get on the list for a new one.

wallarug

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:45 am

remote_duck wrote:Hey everyone. I just figured I would chime in as well. I also received a raspberry pi last month from RS that was meant to be a gift to someone else. I got the SD card loaded up and same thing, it won't stay on for more than 3-5ish minutes. I also have an older pi which I got in April/March-ish and with all the same keyboard/power/card etc...works just fine. So with a "control" pi, and everything else held constant it looks like a bad batch went out. I'm going to try to contact RS as well and try to get on the list for a new one.
What is your batch number? It is no good just saying..." looks like a bad batch went out." When you don't tell us what batch number it is. This applies to everyone who is saying they are having issues.

My Details:
No batch sticker but a manufacture date sticker of "12/09" Make in UK. 512mb RAM.

diablopop

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:56 am

your artice is fine ,thinks!

dastasha

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:59 am

My order number was 132363. Ordered in June received in October.
I'm not sure how to determine what batch it was from.
Perhaps if we can establish there was a bad batch I will pursue a replacement. I should have a couple to play with that work soon.

wallarug

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:08 am

dastasha wrote:My order number was 132363. Ordered in June received in October.
I'm not sure how to determine what batch it was from.
Perhaps if we can establish there was a bad batch I will pursue a replacement. I should have a couple to play with that work soon.
The batch number is on the back of the device normally a white sticker near the SD card slot. It might only be a date, like on mine, which could easily distinguish all the problem devices from the good ones. That might also explain why there is a problem because it might have skipped a few stations on the production line.

dastasha

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:05 am

The batch number is on the back of the device normally a white sticker near the SD card slot.
Ahh OK... my sticker says E3912RS2V13B1.0

wallarug

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:44 am

dastasha wrote:
The batch number is on the back of the device normally a white sticker near the SD card slot.
Ahh OK... my sticker says E3912RS2V13B1.0

Anyone else part of this batch?

antoniomilano

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:02 am

Same problem.
My RPi dies after a few minutes.
Batch number is E3912RS2V13B1.0 bought on RS order number 1010129318
Ciao
Antonio

wallarug

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:13 am

antoniomilano wrote:Same problem.
My RPi dies after a few minutes.
Batch number is E3912RS2V13B1.0 bought on RS order number 1010129318
Ciao
Antonio
Now we can say that BATCH NUMBER: E3912RSV13R1.0 IS BAD

Anyone with this batch number needs to report here and let us know what is going on.

gevero

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:32 am

I confirm: my Pi shuts down after a few minutes

Batch:E3912RS2V13B1.0

wallarug

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:35 am

gevero wrote:I confirm: my Pi shuts down after a few minutes

Batch:E3912RS2V13B1.0
Total Count so far = 3
with batch # : E3912RS2V13B1.0

DrRataplan

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:39 am

Another e3912r2v13b1.0 over here with stability issues unless mounted in a Lego case with a couple fans pushing cold air over it.

I'm RMA-ing this one as soon as my NewIT one is in, can't afford to be without one for longer than a week, an HTPC is addicting! Can't believe they are working to reach a 10 working days delay between receiving my Pi and sending a new one. For me, this means over 3 weeks without my Pi.

gevero

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:41 am

Today I am sending in my Pi. I can also confirm that RS will refund postage expenses with the presentation of a receipt:

"Good Morning,

If your Raspberry Pi is faulty and you wish to return this for either a replacement or refund, if provided with a receipt for the postal charges we will be able to refund you for these.

Kind Regards
Raspberry Pi Team
"

wallarug

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:45 am

gevero wrote:Today I am sending in my Pi. I can also confirm that RS will refund postage expenses with the presentation of a receipt:

"Good Morning,

If your Raspberry Pi is faulty and you wish to return this for either a replacement or refund, if provided with a receipt for the postal charges we will be able to refund you for these.

Kind Regards
Raspberry Pi Team
"
What is your batch number?

(count so far = 4)

gevero

Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:04 am

wallarug wrote:
gevero wrote:Today I am sending in my Pi. I can also confirm that RS will refund postage expenses with the presentation of a receipt:

"Good Morning,

Kind Regards
Raspberry Pi Team
"
What is your batch number?

(count so far = 4)

Already posted above

wallarug

Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:12 am

gevero wrote: Already posted above
See that now. :D

Count still 4

xardion

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:40 pm

I have the same problem and its from the same batch , so thats 5 bad ones from the same batch.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:16 pm

Not to put any water on your fire, but are you sure this label IS a batch code?
How do you know that not ALL raspberries made by RS are labeled this way?
Does it say with the code that its a "batch code"?

Its not always the case that products have a "batch code", or even a production date.
Perhaps the code above is just a product code for their warehouse.

Assuming the product must have a batch code sounds like "wishful thinking" to me, and the code itself looks too complex to be a batch code.

Maybe you are right, and it really is what you think it is, but IMHO its too premature to decide it is with the "proof" you have now, first at least try to falsify it, (that is try if it can be proven it isn't a batch code). That way at least you make a stronger case.

rmh

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:39 am

Hi,
I have same problem. Pi is from RS and it says code
"E3912RS2v13B1.0" in sticker.

There is also code 1238 printed to board, possible time code when manufactured week38 year 2012 ?
Thou not sure does that means timecode.

Under cooling from outside air ~5C it works fine, but when in room temperature it dies in 30s to 2min.
Usually it dosent even boot. Have tried to two different power supply (700mA and 1200mA),
but that haven had any difference.

Trying to get replacement now from RS.

AC2HE

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:58 pm

I have a new one & encountered this problem as well. Have located the source in this instance,& will be returning it. Chip IC3 has heating problem in it's upper left corner when it reaches 90F it halts.
Meaning everything video,lan,usb,only a reboot will recover it.

Power at test point is stable @ 5.01v,
used a Lambda supply for this test. Also monitored the 25mhx xtal (x1) with a spectrum analyser &
a wire loop. (so as not to disturb the board). When it halts the signal level goes up 12 db,to me this indicates loss of load. (cpu) Anyhow this happens in about 5 mins first time,2 mins subsequently.
That surface temp is not a problem,but may still be too hot inside. If I cool the chip with freeze spray it will run as long as you want.

To be sure brought up a game,some kind of waterfall(python) this
game runs the cpu @ 100%. Could keep it going as long as kept IC3 below 90F.

Note: even if you disconnect all,usb,lan & use the analog video output & don't even log in. It will
stop in 5 mins anyhow.

Will get another one as I love working on computers & radio!

Later, andy

carlmig

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:33 pm

So, as I said, I returned my Pi to RS and just got back a new one yesterday. Fully working now! yay!

geppa

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:07 pm

My Raspberry is also affected by the same problem. Can't keep it working more than a few minutes at a time.
Board was bought from RS-UK (but I'm in Spain) at the end of June and received at the end of October. Sticker on the back says "E3912RS2V13B1.0". If that's a batch number (or part of it is) ?, I don't know.
I've tried various PSUs, from phone/tablet chargers (700 - 1500 mA), an industrial 200W switched PSU (the kind with screwed connectors) with adjustable 5 and 12 V output and a bench 0-15V, 0-3A PSU. I also tried various Sandisk and Kingston SD cards.
After reading this thread I wanted to discard the input polyfuse as the culprit and tried powering the board through the GPIO pins 4 and 6 with exactly the same result.
I've just written an email to RS explaining the situation, linking this thread and hinting that if that number is a batch, it was probably a bad one, all sold through them (the "RS" part on that sticker) and perhaps they could be proactive about it seeing how there's already a bunch of us with this problem.
Hopefully I won't have to wait another four months for the replacement.

M4T VW

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Just an update also.
Sent my Pi back to RS on the 9th and received the new one yesterday (19th) all fully working! :D
Had it running for over 20 mins at full load i would say. Didnt miss a beat!

nathanpc

Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:33 am

After waiting 4 months to get mine delivered to Brazil I had the exact same problem, even opened a new topic, and wrote a post-mortem for it. Sadly I can't wait another 4 months to get a new one, extremely frustrated. :cry:

Batch: E3912RS2V13B1.0

sankarea

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 pm

same here, tried several chargers/sd-cards but it hardly stays alive for 3 min :(
sticker says E4612RS2V13B1.0
just got mine today after waiting like half a year...

Return to “Troubleshooting”