teemuhaapoja

Re: Raspberry Pi doesn't stay powered up for long.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:17 pm

It seems that the second PI we received was more stable than the first one, despite it having the capacitor loose in the bag. After soldering the cap back it has been running for two days now, playing video in a loop. The first one won't last even 5 minutes before freezing, even with a "cold" boot.

Any idea about the actual cause of this unstability yet? I guess I could try resoldering every connection on the board next...

toysareforboys

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:18 pm

teemuhaapoja wrote:It seems that the second PI we received was more stable than the first one, despite it having the capacitor loose in the bag. After soldering the cap back it has been running for two days now, playing video in a loop. The first one won't last even 5 minutes before freezing, even with a "cold" boot.

Any idea about the actual cause of this unstability yet? I guess I could try resoldering every connection on the board next...
It's the CPU/GPU solder connection to the board. Re-soldering every single connection won't fix the problem, the only solution is to reflow the solder in an oven.

You can remove the capacitor and the Pi will work fine. It's only there to help stop the Pi from rebooting when you plug in USB devices (which it's too small and too crappy to prevent anyway).

-Jamie M.
Seagate GoFlex Home, 1.2GHz ARM (kirkwood), 128MB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, SATA2. Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD running Arch ARM Linux 3.6.11-0. nginx + php-fpm = LIVE STATUS hosted right on the SGFH!! http://tafb.yi.org

Subi88

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi guys,

I do have the "same" problem with my PI. It's from RS (delivered in november) and reads also E4612RS2V13B1.0. Well, there is a slight difference to the other faulty PIs:

My PI remains stable at room temperature without case für several days and even with the case I sometimes get about 5min of use until it freezes (sometimes only 30sec though). Opening half of the case extends the time to maybe 1 hour at best. So I guess, my PI is only "half faulty". I also think that the situation became worse after time. I came to the following conclusion:

1. The power supply is not critical. I got the 1,2A one from RS and I have a DC switch regulator rated 1 A. RS supply reads 5,02V before and ~4,9V after F3. Powered with the switch regulator i only get 4,85 / 4,6 V. Without the case, the PI runs "fine" (>24h) with the switch regulator. WITH case, it freezes after a few minutes even with the RS supply. My clear advice: DO NOT spend money on a better supply or a better cable if your voltages are as high as mine. This will not solve the problem. Therefore bridging F3 is also not helpful. I even managed to run the PI with ~4,3V from a laboratory power supply without freezing for hours until I shut it down (without case).

2. As others stated: It does not matter if you have USB devices plugged in or not. I also does not matter which SD card you use unless it generally does not boot (I tried 5 cards..).

So the only solution is to cool that thing down. Since others reported that reflowing the board solved all the problems, there has to be a faulty soldering point which causes high contact resistance and heats up, resulting in the freeze. It would be nice to know WHERE this problem occurs. Since i do not want to get angry about the bad communication with RS, I will look for a reflow-opportunity..

cheers,
Julian

Jim JKla

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:57 pm

There's an outside possibility the PSU is the thing having power output issues.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

vuqnguyen

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:03 am

Anyone still have the information on how to reflow solder with an oven? The link provided in the thread is no longer there.

Return to “Troubleshooting”