toysareforboys

Re: Raspberry Pi doesn't stay powered up for long.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:55 am

That's great news!

My replacement Pi is working great as well!

Here she is, working hard serving websites and fighting spam!

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

6 watts, lol :)

-Jamie M.
Seagate GoFlex Home, 1.2GHz ARM (kirkwood), 128MB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, SATA2. Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD running Arch ARM Linux 3.6.11-0. nginx + php-fpm = LIVE STATUS hosted right on the SGFH!! http://tafb.yi.org

Ralle1980

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Got my replacement Pi two days ago. Sticker says E4712RS2V13B1.0. It's working perfectly so far and very stable. :D

toysareforboys

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:03 pm

Ralle1980 wrote:Got my replacement Pi two days ago. Sticker says E4712RS2V13B1.0. It's working perfectly so far and very stable. :D
But the real question is... are you going to overclock? Doesn't void your warranty :) If you're going to do it, DON'T DO IT WITH RASPI-CONFIG!

Tried, test, true. Works on 99.23% of all Pi's! Bottom part of the config.txt: http://pastebin.com/1aBsWs87

-Jamie M.
Seagate GoFlex Home, 1.2GHz ARM (kirkwood), 128MB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, SATA2. Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD running Arch ARM Linux 3.6.11-0. nginx + php-fpm = LIVE STATUS hosted right on the SGFH!! http://tafb.yi.org

Ralle1980

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:55 pm

toysareforboys wrote:But the real question is... are you going to overclock? Doesn't void your warranty :) If you're going to do it, DON'T DO IT WITH RASPI-CONFIG!
At the moment, I've overclocked to Medium Level (900 MHz ARM) with raspi-config. Why not use it ?

toysareforboys

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:59 pm

Ralle1980 wrote:At the moment, I've overclocked to Medium Level (900 MHz ARM) with raspi-config. Why not use it ?
The 1ghz mode in raspi-config kept corrupting my SD card, was very flakey. axion built me that config to run at 1ghz and it's been absolutely rock solid :)

-Jamie M.

Ralle1980

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:05 pm

toysareforboys wrote:The 1ghz mode in raspi-config kept corrupting my SD card, was very flakey. axion built me that config to run at 1ghz and it's been absolutely rock solid :)

-Jamie M.
Ok, thanks. I'll give it a try.

toysareforboys

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:33 pm

To watch the current CPU speed: watch cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
To watch the current CPU temp: watch /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp
To watch the current CPU voltage: watch /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_volts

:)

-Jamie M.

Disconnect

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:31 pm

toysareforboys wrote:
Ralle1980 wrote:At the moment, I've overclocked to Medium Level (900 MHz ARM) with raspi-config. Why not use it ?
The 1ghz mode in raspi-config kept corrupting my SD card, was very flakey. axion built me that config to run at 1ghz and it's been absolutely rock solid :)
..so it does exactly what it says on the warning? :o

FYI the last thread I read about that, they were honing in on core_freq as the culprit behind the sd corruption. I've been running 1ghz (from raspi-config) with no issues for a week or so, rootfs on usb and /boot mounted read-only.

a1programmer

Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:21 pm

nickfilary wrote:I had the same issue, tried everything - no luck

So I re-flowed the board with my heat gun - CAREFULLY -
and WA-LA its is working great 4 days now no crashes!!!!!!

if you have nothing to loose give re-flow a try - don't use the oven unless you have to - more precision with a heat gun.

-Nick

Thank you!! I tried this, and it did the trick!

Just to test, I ran the following to max the CPU for a while.

Code: Select all

top -d .001
:D

ziggypi

Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:45 am

I'm having the same overheating problems. My pi will run for a minute or two in a 24C room before shutting down. It helps when I remove it from the case. When placed on a cool fridge pack and it runs fine - for hours.

The board is not hot when it shuts down, the chips feel warm, but I can leave a finger on them without any problems. My board is a UK made one number E3912RS2V13B1.0

This is without doubt a heat problem - the supply voltage has been checked and is fine. I guess I will have to contact RS - sigh! The re-flow solutions sounds a bit drastic to me! Has anyone identified a particular component or connection that is at fault?

ptihackers

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:32 pm

I just returned mine to MCM Electronics in US for replacement. I gave 2 RPIs to kids outside of US; they are not working properly :oops: . Not sure how to return them because the shipping cost will be more than the RPI :|

Jim JKla

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:37 pm

If the shipping costs that much just order 2 new ones and get them shipped direct work out the return later.

Just an idea ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Bacan

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:13 am

I covered my bets for getting R-Pi model B 512 cards by ordering from both venders.

Two from Farnell/Newark id# FNXM121117623 & FNXM121117628
and one from Allied Electronics id# E4612RS2V13B1.0 [[ RS == Radio Shack, maybe? ]].

Guess which one I tried first. Yup, you guessed it, the # E4612RS hung/locked-up/froze, just as I was getting the app startx running for about 3 minutes. So, PLUS One to the count for bad units from that series.

Tomorrow I'll call and see what Allied has to say; RMA, refund or let the Credit Card people handle the matter. I know who will get my future business.

The Farnell/Newark worked as expected. I'm having to get use to slow processor speed again, ala Apple ][ days again.

Testing setup:

110 A/C to USB Apple iCharger - Haier model # ACU21 output rated 5V at 2.1A
110 A/C to USB charger - Duracell model # DU1676 output rated 4.75 ~ 5.25 at 1000mA
USB cable to power connector that came with the Haier power unit

HDMI cable - ProHT (Inland) 5' length

HP USB Keyboard model# SK-2023
HP USB Mouse p/n 505062-001 rev B

jurmelius

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:19 am

I have also a small problem keeping the Raspberry Pi up and running..
2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian image, GPU split 16, No overlclocking, Plain server usage.

My Raspberry has only Ethernet cable connected. Powersuppy is 5V / 1A (HTC charger) and TP1 & TP2 voltage is 4.84v on small load. Should be enough.

After almost 2 days, system crashed again, but now I hooked it to my TV and saw why it did not boot up anymore: "

Code: Select all

no filesystem could be mount root, tried: ext4.
Kernel panic -not syncing VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(178,2)
So, FS busted!? I have tested several cards, same result..

bbourdet

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:56 pm

I am having this same problem! I am glad that I stumbled across this post. I have contacted Allied and asked for a replacement. Let's see what that does...

Did you folks have to pay to ship the item back? Or did they just sent you a replacement?

Thanks folks!

Brian

verm71

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:50 pm

I've been waiting for a reply from Newark.com for about 4 weeks now. So, no, I haven't shipped mine back yet.

stevensande

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:52 pm

Well, I'm relieved to see that others are having this same issue and that it's not just me. :lol:

I bought my RPi quite a while ago, had it shipped here to the States, and then waited a bit to get a monitor, keyboard and mouse to hook up to it. Initially, it would run anywhere from a minute to 10 minutes before the screen went black and nothing brought it back to life with the exception of another power-up.

This RPi is a "made in UK" model, with the number E3912RS2V13B1.0 on the sticker on the board. I'm using an HDMI to DVI adapter, a Logitech K120 USB keyboard (cheap) and a Kensington USB optical mouse (likewise, cheap). I've tried these plugged directly into the RPi and using a Belkin 4-port USB hub both unpowered and powered; at this point, I'm using the hub in powered mode just to be safe.

Now, here's the interesting thing that seemed to fix my issue... I also bought one of the black plastic cases with the RPi and tried using the device both with and without the case on, thinking that perhaps the "squeezing" of the plastic arms that hold the board in place were causing some mechanical stress on the board that might have caused the problem. I don't know if it was the plastic case or if it's simply running cooler, but I've been able to go for hours without the RPi shutting down now.

Needless to say, I'm going to keep running it without the case installed.

Steve

stevensande

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:27 pm

UPDATE: The RPi was up and running over 24 hours with no issues. Just for the heck of it, I decided to put it back into the black plastic case again. After booting up again, it shut down less than a minute later. Took the case back off, and it's now been up and running for about 90 minutes with no problems.

So, one possible failure mechanism appears to be mechanical stress on the circuit board caused by a case. Root cause is unknown -- perhaps the stress is causing a solder joint to disconnect.

Steve
stevensande wrote:Well, I'm relieved to see that others are having this same issue and that it's not just me. :lol:

I bought my RPi quite a while ago, had it shipped here to the States, and then waited a bit to get a monitor, keyboard and mouse to hook up to it. Initially, it would run anywhere from a minute to 10 minutes before the screen went black and nothing brought it back to life with the exception of another power-up.

This RPi is a "made in UK" model, with the number E3912RS2V13B1.0 on the sticker on the board. I'm using an HDMI to DVI adapter, a Logitech K120 USB keyboard (cheap) and a Kensington USB optical mouse (likewise, cheap). I've tried these plugged directly into the RPi and using a Belkin 4-port USB hub both unpowered and powered; at this point, I'm using the hub in powered mode just to be safe.

Now, here's the interesting thing that seemed to fix my issue... I also bought one of the black plastic cases with the RPi and tried using the device both with and without the case on, thinking that perhaps the "squeezing" of the plastic arms that hold the board in place were causing some mechanical stress on the board that might have caused the problem. I don't know if it was the plastic case or if it's simply running cooler, but I've been able to go for hours without the RPi shutting down now.

Needless to say, I'm going to keep running it without the case installed.

Steve

verm71

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:17 pm

stevensande wrote:So, one possible failure mechanism appears to be mechanical stress on the circuit board caused by a case. Root cause is unknown -- perhaps the stress is causing a solder joint to disconnect.
Good call. Probably a "cold sauder", indeed. I tried mine both in and out of the case, with no difference. But then again, I had the red case. Yours was black. :D

miketronic

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:03 pm

Add another one to the pile. Received the RPi for Christmas and tried it out yesterday. Same issues as others, would start up and run for up to two minutes before shutting down. The power supply was provided with the kit, 5v 1A. Tried a couple other micro-usb cell phone chargers but no luck.

Using a fan to provide cooler air kept the board running for a long time, possibly indefinitely but this is a less than ideal situation. Came with the red box enclosure but the issue was the same in or outside of the box. Running the board headless in my basement (55-60 degrees F ambient temp) while ssh'd it ran as long as I wanted without needing a fan. I want to run the board as intended so I'm RMAing it today. It was purchased from MCM Electronics and it seems like they have a good exchange policy thus far. Damn, forgot to get the number from the bottom but I remember it had a date code (the four digits in the middle of the number of 3812 (week 38)), also made in China. I'll let you know how my next board goes! :)

toysareforboys

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:01 pm

miketronic wrote:I'll let you know how my next board goes! :)
Glad the returns process wasn't too difficult! All of my replacement Pi's have been 100% rock solid.

-Jamie M.

jurmelius

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:43 pm

So..... acording to these testemonies, replacing the the unit is the solution? warranty applies?

verm71

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:15 pm

jurmelius wrote:So..... acording to these testemonies, replacing the the unit is the solution? warranty applies?
... if your reseller's customer service will respond to you. Newark.com has not. I am considering going through my Credit Card company to have the charges reversed. Vendors hate that.

toysareforboys

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:08 pm

jurmelius wrote:So..... acording to these testemonies, replacing the the unit is the solution? warranty applies?
Some people have baked their in their oven with excellent results, in case your reseller doesn't want to help you.

http://gough.ath.cx/?p=160

-Jamie M.

stevensande

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:01 am

And yet another chapter to my story...

After running for a couple of days straight without just going dead, the RPi is up to its old tricks again, which means the case was NOT the issue. Dang.

I really don't want to but another one, so I may try the "heat treatment" first and then -- if all else fails -- buy another. The return process will be a PITA, so I'll just pick up another one -- this time off of Amazon. If the second one doesn't work, well, at least I have a lot of other uses for the cheap peripherals I picked up. :D

Steve

Return to “Troubleshooting”