dfreedman

Re: Raspberry Pi doesn't stay powered up for long.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:15 am

It turns out I my router Cat5 came unplugged which is why I couldn't get an IP.

I plugged in the r-pi again and decided to watch /var/log/messages to see what's happening. I see my usb 1-1and ethernet driver (smsc95xx) eth0 fail and recover and fail and recover. Eventually it never comes back.

I'm using the Nexus 7 charger (2A) as my 5V supply. Am I correct assuming that it's probably a hardware issue? Slashdot had an article today about how only 2 boards had trouble from the Sony factory in England. I'm still waiting for Newark to get back to me.

migube

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:22 am

verm71 wrote:My Raspberry Pi came in today and I've been reading around the forums to try to gather solutions for my problem. It also powers off after a while, randomly. Usually when it's doing something like sudo apt-get upgrade, or startx.

I ran cat /proc/cpuinfo and apparently my revision # is 2, which, from what I understand, means I've got a 256MB unit, despite having ordered a 512MB. I'm running off a 4GB card I got from Newark (Element 14). I'm going to try a newer flash of the SD card, in case the older OS misreports the revision # (which I doubt)..

My board says "Made in China", which I understand some may have had issues.
you need to update FW to get it properly displayed.
Download latest wheezy on new card, rpi-update & see.

migube

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:23 am

neomat wrote:Same problem here !

Impossible to get my Pi (E4612RS2V13B1.0) running for more than few minutes.
I tried several power supplies (2 smartphones, RS, ...), Archlinux and Raspbian, and 2 SD cards.
I will certainly try to send it back to RS...
Any advice ?
Same here :(
E4612RS2V13B1.0 bad batch ?

I have some that are working & others don't, so definitely something wrong

LonesomeCoder

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:46 am

And here comes another faulty one with "E4612RS2V13B1.0".

Am I supposed to pay for the RMA shipping costs when returning a faulty product? (Germany -> UK)
In Germany I wouldn't have to...
Should I try sending it "freight forward"?

Has anybody experienced how RS handles RMA for customers abroad?

Thanks!
Stefan

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:27 am

LonesomeCoder wrote:And here comes another faulty one with "E4612RS2V13B1.0".

Am I supposed to pay for the RMA shipping costs when returning a faulty product? (Germany -> UK)

Thanks!
Stefan
I'm trying to find out the RMA process, but I would expect that RS should pay return costs (or any supplier who supplies faulty equipment of any sort).

James
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

miker

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:43 am

I reported an intermittent crash like this with a PI in July or August I think on another thread. I eventually found a combination of SD Card (and wheezy) that - if I didn't wiggle it about too much - stayed up & running. In fact It has sat still on a shelf posting sensor data to COSM and ThingSpeak and database server/webserver etc for yonks. Incidentally it was my first PI (RS - direct purchase) out half a dozen and an 'early batch'.

My observation and corollary would be that some SD cards are tighter and firmer fits than others - or maybe the clips/springs relax with time and use.

Just last 24 hours another of my PIs started showing same symptoms. It has been my webserver for some months and as such pretty stable until now. But has now halted twice mysteriously in 24 hours. Curiously it too is an early batch (RS via ebay) - probably my second one - and one of the less tight-fitting SD cards (I cant recall the brand).

2 other PIs (farnell I think) are up and stable - so far - on my preferred SD cards/wheezy combinations, the rest are still unused. So to date 2 out of 4 is NOT GOOD.

neomat

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:07 pm

neomat wrote:Same problem here !
Impossible to get my Pi (E4612RS2V13B1.0) running for more than few minutes.
I tried several power supplies (2 smartphones, RS, ...), Archlinux and Raspbian, and 2 SD cards.
I will certainly try to send it back to RS...
Any advice ?
In addition, I tried with just a newly written image on SD card and power supply, no usb, video nor ethernet. It crashes after ~2minutes.
It seems to be better on my cold floor... but crashes again...
Screen goes black, no error message, red light on.

dastasha

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 pm

I returned my Pi using the form I linked to earlier in this thread.
Just received email advising that I have a parcel coming to me from RS - I assume the replacement Pi that I asked for.
It cost me $17.50 to return it from Australia - half what I paid for it.
I did read earlier in the thread that someone was advised that RS would reimburse the cost of return freight if provided with proof.

*Edit* Or you could see the post by falk0069 on page 2 of this thread
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=22281

Disconnect

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:43 pm

MCM contacted me separately and asked what I had tried - evidently I'd covered everything already, so they asked me to send it back and they'd cover shipping. (Looks like they decided to cross-ship, so they will pass in transit.)

csinshaw

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:16 am

I just got my Pi and am having the same issue. This appears to be a common problem. Has anyone found a solution.

Thanks

WSabey

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm having this problem with my Pi. I believe I've tracked it to the F3 polyfuse as detailed on the wiki. It says the drop across F3 should be about 0.3V, but my multimeter is reading a full 5V. Is this something I can fix, or do I need to send the Pi back to be replaced? I'd rather fix it myself if I can, as I've heard that RS customer service leaves much to be desired, and I really don't care about the warranty on a £20 device.

Disconnect

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:32 pm

The first thing to check is your power supply. http://www.elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshoot ... booting_up

If that has been vetted as really good (not just "passable") it might be related to this..

toysareforboys

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:08 am

My brand new Pi (512mb version) also powers off after a few mins. $30 on a new SD card and $30 on a 2.1amp USB adapter and high current micro USB cable later, still the same problem :(

My CrashberryPi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsMPBcVCw10

Sticker on the bottom says FNXM121122798

Sticker on the top says "Made in China".

I'll contact the supplier on Ebay I purchased it from, will let you know the result :(

-Jamie M.
Seagate GoFlex Home, 1.2GHz ARM (kirkwood), 128MB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, SATA2. Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD running Arch ARM Linux 3.6.11-0. nginx + php-fpm = LIVE STATUS hosted right on the SGFH!! http://tafb.yi.org

dastasha

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:20 am

Received my RS replacement Pi. One week turnaround from the other side of the world! Not bad!
However -
The sealed pink protective box it arrived in rattled (!?) I opened it up and C2 is floating around in the protective bag :roll: Sticker is E4712RS2V13B1.0
Not sending this one back after return freight charge on the last return I'll fix this myself. Def some issues with the supplier/board assembly somewhere.
I wonder if any RS reps are following this thread... would be nice to get another case to cover my return freight charge *hint*

pdops

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:28 am

I'm seeing similar problems with one bought from ABRA in Canada. It has a 'Made in China' sticker and another sticker on the reverse 'FNXM121118140'. Runs fine when I have a fan blowing across it otherwise shutsdown after a few minutes.

toysareforboys

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:59 am

Alright, ordered a replacement, apparently ships from Canada, SWEET! Hopefully I can get my customer's servers replaced ASAP: http://canada.newark.com/raspberry-pi/r ... dp/43W5302

I sure hope this one is OK :(

-Jamie M.
Seagate GoFlex Home, 1.2GHz ARM (kirkwood), 128MB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, SATA2. Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD running Arch ARM Linux 3.6.11-0. nginx + php-fpm = LIVE STATUS hosted right on the SGFH!! http://tafb.yi.org

verm71

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:33 pm

Got mine from Canada.newark.com as well. Even got the recommended SD card and power adapter from them too. No joy. Well... joy, just not for very long at a time. I don't get it. The board says Made in China, and the power supply also says Made In China. So they should be compatible, right? :lol:

Still waiting to hear back from them after a week for RMA.

Let me know if your replacement is any better, Jamie.

tickett

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:53 pm

Same problem: E3912RS2V13B1.0 / 1236

Wasted endless amounts of time/money on micro USB adapters and powered USB hubs thinking it was a peripheral problem :(

Just completed the form and sent back to RS for a replacement.

DemonJim

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Just a follow-up from my earlier post - got the replacement 512MB Pi less than a week after sending back the faulty one to RS, so kudos to them for keeping stock for faulty returns. Haven't actually tried it yet as it's a spare - and won't be returning it anyway even if this one is broken as I'd have a go at fixing* it myself.

* melting/burning/ruining
DemonStudios Ltd | Indie Game Developer | www.demonstudios.com

nowmad

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:51 pm

I suspect there is an issue with a batch or so. I have two RasPi and the one I got from RS is also freezing after a couple of minutes. This is a new 512M board made in China. Same peripherals etc work on the first RasPi I got a month or so ago. Also tried different Distros, SD cards, P.S. etc, no luck.
Am trying to initiate a return as well

toysareforboys

Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:26 pm

verm71 wrote:Got mine from Canada.newark.com as well.
I sure hope mine comes from the "good batch" :(

Will let you know when I test it. I just got shipping receipt, they sent it UPS next day air? lol! Says I'll have it Monday :)

-Jamie M.

pjc123

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:18 pm

I bought a pi on the first day of the release and I have had absolutely no problems with it. I was going to get a second pi (one for my project and another for development), but forget about it now after reading threads on multiple forums about issues with the latest devices. Maybe if and when they sort the problems out.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

pdops

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:01 am

pdops wrote:I'm seeing similar problems with one bought from ABRA in Canada. It has a 'Made in China' sticker and another sticker on the reverse 'FNXM121118140'. Runs fine when I have a fan blowing across it otherwise shutsdown after a few minutes.
I ended up returning the unit for a refund. I think I'll wait a few months to let them resolve the manufacturing issues before reordering.

toysareforboys

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:43 am

pdops wrote:I ended up returning the unit for a refund. I think I'll wait a few months to let them resolve the manufacturing issues before reordering.
The place I bought it from on ebay also offered a full refund, and he's covering the return shipping too. He said 30 to 40 of the ones he sold are all bad, and he said he asked Element14 when he could get some "known good" replacements and they said "not soon" :(

I pray my new one on the way from Newark is OK but I don't have my hopes up :(

-Jamie M.

dfreedman

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:48 am

dfreedman wrote:Just received two Rev-B boards from Newark/Farnell.

Sticker: FNXM121127704.
Tried multiple usb supplies/hubs/keyboards/mice. Downloaded and updated latest software on the preflashed SD card from Newark. TP1-TP2 is > 5.0 V.

The USB and Ethernet just reset, it seems under stress. Once I upgraded the Debian software and stopped the GUI from starting automatically, both devices seemed to last a little longer, but not much.

I was never able to get IP address.

It sounds like there's some bad batches and that they really need a better quality control process. Any suggestion on how I should proceed?

Just received two new boards from Newark. They RMAd the original (still waiting for reimbursement, but they paid the return shipping cost) and I reordered per their instructions. I received the boards today (less then one week) and both boards are working as expected, using the same power supply as before.

Batch: FNXM121175075

This is great news and I'm thankful to Newark.

Return to “Troubleshooting”