regi24

Can't boot Raspberry Pi (boot loop) - Failed to start File System Check on Root Device

Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:34 pm

Hello,
I'm unable to boot the system. It gives me this error message and then it restarts and the same error again.
[FAILED] Failed to start File System Check on Root Device.
See `systemctl status systemd-fsck-root.service` for details.
I'm using Raspbian from Sep-2017 and it's a Raspberry Pi Model B.

Thanks for your help!

wh7qq

Re: Can't boot Raspberry Pi (boot loop) - Failed to start File System Check on Root Device

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:35 pm

This sounds like a bad boot partition. As it is 9-17 and not the Raspbian-latest (11-17), download a fresh copy, check the sha256sum of the zip file against the published one and then use Etcher (free for Windows, Mac or Linux) to burn the new zip file to the SD card. You will need an 8G minimum size SD (or uSD...don't recall if the B used the bigger SD...my B+'s all use the micro SD format). Etcher does it all for you...unzips, burns and verifies...so you always get a good card if they are good to start with.

If you cannot download the latest zip, you will have to get the sha256sum for the 9-17 version from the Raspbian archives.

regi24

Re: Can't boot Raspberry Pi (boot loop) - Failed to start File System Check on Root Device

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:54 pm

It's very important for me to keep the data partition. Is that possible to achieve? Because using Etcher I don't see the option to flash just one partition.

Thanks!

fbe

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:25 am

If data are important, you should make a backup image of damaged SD card before you try to repair it. You could write that backup image onto an usb stick and boot your Pi from a second SD card.

regi24

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:46 am

fbe wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:25 am
If data are important, you should make a backup image of damaged SD card before you try to repair it. You could write that backup image onto an usb stick and boot your Pi from a second SD card.
I tried that and sadly the second one doesn't boot either.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

wh7qq

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:34 pm

I have read (only and not tried it and I have lost the link) that it is possible to save the /root partition with rsync and then restore it to a uSD that has had that partition emptied but has a fresh boot partition but the kernel references in /root must reflect any changes in the kernel on the boot partition. In any case, it is a good way to save the data on that partition. Regardless, I think the OP needs to make a fresh copy of Raspbian Stretch to get his RPi back on line.

regi24

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:57 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up making a fresh copy of Raspbian strecht..

robins250

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:48 am

I just had this happen to me too. I was streaming video in chrome and decided to reduce screen resolution to try to improve quality. I didn't stop streaming before letting the shutdown take place.

This made a bad file / innode in the chrome temp folder.

I keep a spare rasbien os on another flash drive for fixing these kinds of issues. I booted with a working install and ran a disk check on the corrupted disk file systems using fsck. The issue was on root.

There are lots of resources on doing this. There can be data loss, most of the time it's on corrupt files that are no good anyways. I personally haven't had any major issues using fsck. A backup is generally a good idea. I also put important files in a different partition than root as i seem to corrupt it a lot. Maybe because I'm using an SSD.

You have to identify where to tell fsck to operate. I like the blkid command. You need your corrupted drive mounted. Auto mount seems to work good these days if you just plug in the drive after the GUI is running.

Boot and root should be called something like bootfs and rootfs. Using blkid you will be look for something like rootfs and the mount location something like /dev/sda2 this could be different for you.

You need to be sure your going to check the right drive ! You don't want to try to check the root system that is operating. I believe it will warn you.

Then run:

Code: Select all

fsck -f /dev/sda2
It will prompt you for input if it finds anything

Anyways, that's what I did and I'm back streaming in 720p

Hope that helps someone

Return to “Troubleshooting”