3J8lftJvhqkEqNjI

Official RPi Camera board destroyed by the official RPi0 case

Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:26 am

Hello,

I bought from Adafriut a bundle of the RP0W board with the official RPi camera and the official RPi0 case. Unfortunately, after assembling the bundle, the camera stopped to work properly. After a short investigation I discovered, that because of the way how the camera module is mounted on the board, the case damages the module. I reported the problem to Adafruit, and they promptly shipped a replacement module, unfortunately with the same issue. Turns out that the official RP0 case in its current shape will always destroy the camera module on the official RPi camera board. At this point they threw the towel, and requested to report the problem on the RPi forum.
Further details and analysis of the problem can be found on Adafruit's support forum: https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&p=615774
TBH I find it very disappointing that the RPi foundation ships products designed to damage each other.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Official RPi Camera board destroyed by the official RPi0 case

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:41 pm

I will forward this post to the moderators section of the board, where it is more likely one of the RPF people will see it.

P.S. I looked at the pictures but I didn't grasp why a foam pad would damage the camera board. What damage is actually done? Is a component removed from the board, or what?

the actual place where you can read this post is at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=195820&p=1225121#p1225121

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:16 pm

mahjongg wrote: ...
P.S. I looked at the pictures but I didn't grasp why a foam pad would damage the camera board. What damage is actually done? Is a component removed from the board, or what?
My first thought was "What foam pad?" No foam pads were involved when I "camera tested" my Pi0W:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... ox.22_Test
but, admittedly, I was fitting an older camera board (it was a tight fit, as others reported at the time).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

3J8lftJvhqkEqNjI

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:54 pm

mahjongg wrote:
I will forward this post to the moderators section of the board, where it is more likely one of the RPF people will see it.
Thank you very much. This is my first post on the forum, and I wasn't sure what was the right place to post this kind of question.
mahjongg wrote:
The case was clearly designed for a camera board where the module sits flat on the PCB. With the PCB secured by the mounting clips, the front of the module touches the wall of the housing. In my camera the module is mounted on the board using a piece of foam with glue. After inserting the board into the case the foam compresses a bit, but still has non-negligible thickness. This contributes to the overall thickness of the camera board, and even with front of the camera module pressed against the case, the mounting clips are too short to grab the board.
The damage occurred when I tried to press the board to mount it in the case. Initially I assumed that the clips did not latch because of hard material used to build the case, and I just did not push strong enough. When I gave up after several unsuccessful tries, turned out that the RPi did not see the camera. The board stared working again after removing from the case.

How the damage occurred: The foam pad is a small circle, of diameter smaller than the outline of the module, attached in the centre of the module PCB, right where the sensor chip is mounted. Pressing on the board caused the thin module PCB to flex, and resulted in damage of the sensor bonding, or even cracking the chip. When the module is not mounted in the case,and the board is not under pressure, the broken connections maintain electrical contact. However, even slightest pressure on the camera module deforms the PCB, and breaks the contact. This causes the module to fail.

Attached are images of the board not sitting properly in the case (front of the camera module is pressed against the case, but PCB still not secured by the mounting clips), the mounting foam pad under the camera module, and a screenshot of image captured while touching the damaged camera module (connection failure).
Attachments
my_photo-95.jpg
Camera board not sitting properly in the case.
my_photo-95.jpg (32.64 KiB) Viewed 3094 times
replacement_raspi_cam.jpg
Mounting foam pad under the camera module.
replacement_raspi_cam.jpg (54.3 KiB) Viewed 3094 times
Screenshot_20170903_142636.png
Screenshot of image captured from the damaged board.
Screenshot_20170903_142636.png (39.17 KiB) Viewed 3094 times

3J8lftJvhqkEqNjI

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:47 pm

I would like to bump the question back to the top, because it is a very serious problem, which will affect many more users, not just me, and deserves a response from RPiF.

LetHopeItsSnowing

Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:00 pm

I haven't had a similar problem. I have had a new camera module mounted in a new pi zero case since they came out with no issues...

Has there been a change in design?
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

3J8lftJvhqkEqNjI

Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:08 pm

LetHopeItsSnowing wrote:
I haven't had a similar problem. I have had a new camera module mounted in a new pi zero case since they came out with no issues...

Is the camera module in yours mounted on a foam pad? My impression is that the case has been designed for a board where the module sits flat on the board, and since then someone made a decision to put a spacer between them.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:17 pm

3J8lftJvhqkEqNjI wrote:
LetHopeItsSnowing wrote:
Is the camera module in yours mounted on a foam pad? My impression is that the case has been designed for a board where the module sits flat on the board, and since then someone made a decision to put a spacer between them.
W.r.t. to my previous post - AFAICT, from the photo's on the main RPF website (https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/camera-module-v2/ ) there appears to be no "foam pad" associated with the (newer than mine) module (there) too. So, to clarify:
1) Can you post a link to where you purchased your "official" camera module.
2) Was the foam pad already mounted on the module or supplied with it, unattached (if the latter it may have been intended to be used in "other circumstances").
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

3J8lftJvhqkEqNjI

Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:39 pm

Ad 1: The camera was purchased from Adafruit, as part of a bundle containing RPiW, "Pi Foundation Official Pi Zero Case + Mini Camera Cable", and "Raspberry Pi Camera Board v2 - 8 Megapixels": https://www.adafruit.com/product/3414
Ad 2: The camera board sent from Adafruit had camera module already mounted on the board using the foam pad.

The problem was reported to Adafruit, and they sent a replacement board identical to the first one.
The picture attached to the previous post shows the camera board, exactly as it was shipped.

Adafruit support said that it is not their problem, the camera board and the case are made by RasPi Foundation, and I should bring the issue up on the forum: https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.p ... 74#p615774
Last edited by 3J8lftJvhqkEqNjI on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.Goode

Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Adafruit support said that it is not their problem, the camera board and the case are made by RasPi Foundation, and I should bring the issue up on the forum: https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.p ... 74#p615774
It seems to me (and my view might be mistaken) is that notwithstanding the advice from Adafruit this is an instance where you actually need the attention of official representatives of the Raspberry Pi Foundation. For that particular purpose you might be better off using the email contact form here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/contact/

(However, it may have been useful to other purchasers either now or in the future to have aired your concerns publically, so this is not a suggestion that posting here is the wrong thing to do.)

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:57 pm

3J8lftJvhqkEqNjI wrote: Ad 1: The camera was purchased from Adafruit, as part of a bundle containing RPiW, "Pi Foundation Official Pi Zero Case + Mini Camera Cable", and "Raspberry Pi Camera Board v2 - 8 Megapixels": https://www.adafruit.com/product/3414
Ad 2: The camera board sent from Adafruit had camera module already mounted on the board using the foam pad.
The problem was reported to Adafruit, and they send a replacement board identical to the first one.
The picture attached to the previous post shows the camera board, exactly as it was shipped.
Thanks for the clarification (I've re-flagged this post in the mods area where @mahjongg copied it to). What intrigues me somewhat is that the photo in the adafruit link (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3414 ) shows that camera module mounted outside of the Pi ZeroW case using the "plain" (ie. no camera lens "hole") lid/top. So this could be a "knock-on" effect from some other change (to the camera module) that hasn't (yet) been properly documented. (OOC, I wonder if the foam pad is really a "double-sided" sticky pad and intended to be used to fix the module to the "plain" lid?)
Trev.

3J8lftJvhqkEqNjI

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Thank you for bringing the post up again to the attention of the mods.
The Adafruit support's guess is that I may be among the first customers who received new version of the board. The pictures must have been taken using one of the previous versions, and do not show changes made since then.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:01 pm

I'm not in the office at the moment and won't be till Monday but I'll bring this up with the designers when I get back in.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

3J8lftJvhqkEqNjI

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:43 pm

jamesh wrote:
I'm not in the office at the moment and won't be till Monday but I'll bring this up with the designers when I get back in.
Have you been able to get in touch with the design team?

jamesh

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:01 pm

3J8lftJvhqkEqNjI wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Damn, completely forgot. Will try and remember tomorrow.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

3J8lftJvhqkEqNjI

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:22 pm

jamesh wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:01 pm
3J8lftJvhqkEqNjI wrote:
Damn, completely forgot. Will try and remember tomorrow.
Any feedback from designers?

3J8lftJvhqkEqNjI

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:21 pm

jamesh,

any luck with contacting the designers?

jamesh

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:40 am

I thought I had PM'd you - did you receive anything?

3J8lftJvhqkEqNjI

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:34 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:40 am
I thought I had PM'd you - did you receive anything?
No, unfortunately I did not get your message.

jamesh

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 pm

OK, will resend.

Joe57383

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:52 am

Hey,

We just had a similar issue.
5 pi zero cases, 5 cams.
2 cams only show black and white lines.
What now?

cosinezero

Wed May 09, 2018 1:26 am

Ok so after figuring out that the RPI0 case was what was making the V2 camera not work, I figured I'd search and see if I'm the only one noticing this. Clearly, I'm not.

Here's the fix, though - toss the case in the trash (or demand a refund). BUT your camera may not be broken!

The case seems to unseat the SUNNY connector (front of camera). When I reseated that connector the camera would work again. So I'd try to put it back in the case, and the camera would break again. Take it back out, reseat connector, works again.

What the hell. These cases aren't properly designed for the camera that costs more than the case and the zero itself.

Anyways, try the SUNNY connector before you toss the camera out... it might not be be broken.

Return to “Troubleshooting”