munyohan

My Raspberrypi3 keep chaging password.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:29 am

Hello everyone.

My raspberrypi3 is weird..

I'd installed rasbian in my raspberrypi3.
And I'm using VNC or SSH to control.

Also I know the preset password is raspberry.

But two or three days later the password was changed and I didn't even change it.

So I'm reinstall my rasbian O/S and same thing keep happen agian.

I't is so frustrating..

Anyone know about my problem?

If you do please let me know ..

fred44nl

Re: My Raspberrypi3 keep chaging password.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:46 pm

you are supposed to change the default password to something else.
that's called a security feature :)
headless RPi 3B running from usbhdd.

SurferTim

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:22 pm

munyohan wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:29 am
Anyone know about my problem?

If you do please let me know ..
As fred44nl implied, the odds are really good you've been hacked. Somebody else logged into your RPi using the default user/password, then locked you out by changing the password.

Edit: If you want to know who is is doing it (the source IP and port anyway), when you reinstall your system, change the password, then watch /var/log/auth.log.

Martin Frezman

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:03 pm

As usual, the analysis so far is flawed. People are assuming a lot of facts that are not in evidence (yet).

I think the key question is: Is OP's machine exposed to the Internet? Most aren't, yet all the responders so far are assuming that it is.

Another good question is: How does OP know that (or, more cynically, what makes OP think that) his password has been changed? There are a myriad of other reasons why he may be having trouble logging in. Again, assuming facts not yet in evidence.

Thirdly, what do we make of the fact that this happens repeatedly? He says he has re-installed the OS many times. I know it is possible, but it is unlikely that the same thing happens over and over (in the ways assumed by thread responders).
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

SurferTim

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:20 pm

Also I know the preset password is raspberry.

But two or three days later the password was changed and I didn't even change it.

So I'm reinstall my rasbian O/S and same thing keep happen agian.
Even though it is not certain, the odds are great he has been hacked, either over the internet, or another device on his localnet. The fact that the OP is using the default password, and it keep happening over and over again after a few days is a symptom of hacking. Once a hacker discovers you are using the default password, he will try again. Many hackers are using other's RPis to bitcoin mine.

There could be other reasons for a login fail, but I would eliminate this possibility first.

B.Goode

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:25 pm

I think the key question is: Is OP's machine exposed to the Internet? Most aren't, yet all the responders so far are assuming that it is.
Evidence?

There has only been one substantive response, which said:
"Somebody else logged into your RPi using the default user/password, then locked you out by changing the password."

That can be done from an isolated LAN, or even from an unattended directly-connected screen/keyboard. No assumption of Internet exposure is needed.

gkaiseril

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:41 pm

Are you allowing automatic login?

Doing so lets some one get into your PI without knowing the password and if they have read the documentation, the should know the tools to change the password.

If you have left the auto login on, and can start the command window or terminal mode, then you can use the "password" command to delete and then reset the password. See the manual pages for the "password" command for more information.

man password

The following command line commands will delete and reset the pi user's password

sudo password pi -n
sudo password pi

And follow the prompts.

You also might want to review this sites documentation on Securing your Raspberry Pi.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

SurferTim

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:57 pm

You are lucky I am one of the good guys. If I was going to hack your RPi, I wouldn't change the default user/password. I would add my own user/password so I could access your RPi without using your password. Unless you are observant enough to check for an added username, you would never know I was there.

Paeryn

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:28 pm

gkaiseril wrote:
If you have left the auto login on, and can start the command window or terminal mode, then you can use the "password" command to delete and then reset the password. See the manual pages for the "password" command for more information.
The command to change the password is passwd not password.
gkaiseril wrote:
The following command line commands will delete and reset the pi user's password

sudo password pi -n
sudo password pi
Passing -n to passwd requires a numeric value after it, it defines how often (in days) that the user must wait between changes to their password, e.g. setting it to 7 would mean once the user changes their password they must wait a week before they can change it again. Setting it to 0 (the default) means they can change it as often as they like. Not providing a value is an error and so does nothing.
She who travels light — forgot something.

gkaiseril

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:39 pm

The option should be -d not -n.

The OP was pointed to use the man passwrd documentation.

It looks like autocorrect came into play.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

Martin Frezman

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Very good. I'm beginning to think that the fact that a lot of people post here from things like tablets and phones and such explains a lot of what I read here...
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

Paeryn

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:54 pm

gkaiseril wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:39 pm
The option should be -d not -n.

The OP was pointed to use the man passwrd documentation.

Even so, there's no need to delete the current password before setting a new one. When root changes a user's password it doesn't care what their old password was.
She who travels light — forgot something.

DougieLawson

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:36 pm

The OP hasn't given enough information.

Is the RPi connected to any network? Wired? or WiFi?
Is it set to boot to command line, boot to GUI, boot to command line, autologin or boot to GUI needing login?
Has the pi userid been disabled?
Has a root password been set?
Is sudo still set to NOPASSWD?
Which users are in the sudoers list?
Has the pi userid's password been set to any string other than "raspberry" using raspi-config?
Is the keyboard layout set correctly? It defaults to UK QWERTY. You'll get in a mess with a Dvorak layout.
What services have been installed/activated? sshd? VNC? etc.

What version of Raspbian?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Troubleshooting”