Thomas Korimort
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:56 am

Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:12 am

I am using an updated RaspBian stretch system on a RaspBerry Pi 3 system. Before under Jessie my Kodi Krypton 17.3 was working nicely and smoothly, but now the Kodi 17.1 that is shipped with Raspbian Stretch is very slow and shows slow reaction to the Kore remote control. I would say it is unusable...Is there any known issue?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5955
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:16 am

There is no pi-specific build of kodi for stretch yet. What you're using is not built for the pi, so it's using software emulation for opengl and plain ffmpeg for video decoding.

Thomas Korimort
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:56 am

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:00 am

...also the general conduct of Kodi in the menues and with the remote control is slow on the version of Kodi 17.1 included in Raspbian Stretch...

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20684
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:34 am

Thomas Korimort wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:00 am
...also the general conduct of Kodi in the menues and with the remote control is slow on the version of Kodi 17.1 included in Raspbian Stretch...
Be patient and wait a newer compiled version will appear which is suitable for the Raspberry Pi eventually.

In the meantime grab a SD Card and install a kodicentric OS: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko ... spberry_Pi
Retired disgracefully.....

Crunkrock
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Experiencing the same, I guess I should've checked in more detail before upgrading to Stretch. Also kodi-standalone stopped working. It just says

Code: Select all

ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting
From the logs:

Code: Select all

23:23:59.468 T:1846603776   ERROR: X11 Error: No Display found
23:23:59.468 T:1846603776   FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init windowing system
Any idea why this is happening? Will it disappear when the update comes? And when will that roughly be? I already completely reinstalled X, which didn't help.

masou
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:46 am

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:58 am

You can install the version from pipplware. There is a guide here: https://mtantawy.com/how-to-install-upd ... ry-pi-3-2/ . Be aware that it's a repo for jessie so few packages need specific version to resolve dependacy issue. At the end, Kodi will work great but you will not be able to install VLC after that because it use different version of same packages. Personally it's a great temporary fix for me! And you will use a higher version of kodi than in the raspbian repo!

gkreidl
Posts: 6090
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:46 am

masou wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:58 am
You can install the version from pipplware. There is a guide here: https://mtantawy.com/how-to-install-upd ... ry-pi-3-2/ . Be aware that it's a repo for jessie so few packages need specific version to resolve dependacy issue. At the end, Kodi will work great but you will not be able to install VLC after that because it use different version of same packages. Personally it's a great temporary fix for me! And you will use a higher version of kodi than in the raspbian repo!
Adding a Jessie repository is a bad idea. It may break a lot of things.
If you need kodi on Raspbian, don't upgrade to Stretch until the new Stretch version becomes available.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Crunkrock
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:14 am

To late for that. But yeah, I'd rather not play around with the packages too much, hence my question: When do we think that Stretch compatible Kodi version will be released, roughly? Are we talking days, weeks, months?

gkreidl
Posts: 6090
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:37 am

Crunkrock wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:14 am
To late for that. But yeah, I'd rather not play around with the packages too much, hence my question: When do we think that Stretch compatible Kodi version will be released, roughly? Are we talking days, weeks, months?
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=180626&p=1199648#p1199648#

It shouldn't take too long.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

masou
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:46 am

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Adding a Jessie repository is a bad idea. It may break a lot of things.
If you need kodi on Raspbian, don't upgrade to Stretch until the new Stretch version becomes available.
It's not a bad idea if you know what you are doing and you disable the jessie repo after that. Upgrade from Jessie was a lot harder because I use my pi for so many things! But I also watch TV from my pi so I just can't wait. I did the upgrade and then I realized Kodi was not ready! But you are right, it's not a great idea for everybody.

Crunkrock
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:43 pm

So you added that repo, installed kodi, disabled the repo. And then everything is fine, new Kodi is there, VNC doesn't work. Anything else? And if I want to revert that, in theory enabling the package again, apt-get remove kodi, apt-get autoremove, disable package, everything good?

But yeah, I might wait anyway as of
gkreidl wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:37 am
Crunkrock wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:14 am
To late for that. But yeah, I'd rather not play around with the packages too much, hence my question: When do we think that Stretch compatible Kodi version will be released, roughly? Are we talking days, weeks, months?
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=180626&p=1199648#p1199648#

It shouldn't take too long.

masou
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:46 am

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:37 pm

1)I added in my sources.list:

Code: Select all

deb http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/dists/jessie/main/binary
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free rpi
2)apt-get update

3)apt-get install libpcrecpp0 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a (resolve dependance issue)
*** will remove libpcre3-dev:armhf (2:8.39-3), libglib2.0-dev:armhf (2.50.3-2), libpcrecpp0v5:armhf (2:8.39-3) gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:armhf (1.10.4-1), libtag1v5:armhf (1.11.1+dfsg.1-0.1), vlc:armhf (2.2.6-1~deb9u1+rpi1), libtag1v5-vanilla:armhf (1.11.1+dfsg.1-0.1), vlc-plugin-base:armhf (2.2.6-1~deb9u1+rpi1)

4)apt-get remove kodi (***if installed***)

5)apt install kodi=2:17.3-1~jessie kodi-bin=2:17.3-1~jessie

6)Remove added line in sources.list

To revert it I would do this:
1)apt-get remove libpcrecpp0 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a kodi
2)apt-get autoremove
3)apt-get update
4)apt-get dist-upgrade
5)apt-get install vlc kodi

I think I said everything. Just be careful! I didn't tested every software after that so keep in mind that it's a temporary fix only.

gkreidl
Posts: 6090
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:04 am

masou wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:37 pm
1)I added in my sources.list:

Code: Select all

deb http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/dists/jessie/main/binary
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free rpi
2)apt-get update

3)apt-get install libpcrecpp0 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a (resolve dependance issue)
*** will remove libpcre3-dev:armhf (2:8.39-3), libglib2.0-dev:armhf (2.50.3-2), libpcrecpp0v5:armhf (2:8.39-3) gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:armhf (1.10.4-1), libtag1v5:armhf (1.11.1+dfsg.1-0.1), vlc:armhf (2.2.6-1~deb9u1+rpi1), libtag1v5-vanilla:armhf (1.11.1+dfsg.1-0.1), vlc-plugin-base:armhf (2.2.6-1~deb9u1+rpi1)

4)apt-get remove kodi (***if installed***)

5)apt install kodi=2:17.3-1~jessie kodi-bin=2:17.3-1~jessie

6)Remove added line in sources.list

To revert it I would do this:
1)apt-get remove libpcrecpp0 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a kodi
2)apt-get autoremove
3)apt-get update
4)apt-get dist-upgrade
5)apt-get install vlc kodi

I think I said everything. Just be careful! I didn't tested every software after that so keep in mind that it's a temporary fix only.
You are assuming that people have no additional software installed. In my case, for example, (tested on Jessie, but will be similar on Stretch) removing gstreamer1.0-plugins-good will remove 11 more programs.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

masou
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:46 am

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:14 pm

It's not perfect. I discovered that Emulationstation doesn't work too. But come on, as I said multiple time, it's a temporary fix. In my particular situation i have 4 choice:

1)To use my backup of Jessie and lose all the work I made to the stretch version
2)To stay with Stretch with no TV
3)To compile Kodi and spend many hours on the process
4) To use Kodi from a Jessie repo

I'm a long time Debian user so I know what I'm doing and I think option #4 is the best for me! By the way what do you mean by "removing 11 more program"? Are you talking about software or package?

gkreidl
Posts: 6090
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:03 pm

masou wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:14 pm
It's not perfect. I discovered that Emulationstation doesn't work too. But come on, as I said multiple time, it's a temporary fix. In my particular situation i have 4 choice:

1)To use my backup of Jessie and lose all the work I made to the stretch version
2)To stay with Stretch with no TV
3)To compile Kodi and spend many hours on the process
4) To use Kodi from a Jessie repo

I'm a long time Debian user so I know what I'm doing and I think option #4 is the best for me! By the way what do you mean by "removing 11 more program"? Are you talking about software or package?
Eleven programs depending on the gstreamer-good plugin.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

masou
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:46 am

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:23 pm

Eleven programs depending on the gstreamer-good plugin.
I presume you are talking about software. Except VLC, i have no other software unninstalled. Emmulationstation use a custom script and this is the reason why i didn't see it was broken. So there is a difference between Jessie and Stretch. Gstreamer-good affect audio and video software, so except if you have 11 of them, it's a weird dependance which affect Jessie only

What would be great is a flatpak build for Kodi compatible with the raspberry pi!

masou
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:46 am

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:27 pm

Big update! Kodi is now available for stretch with this repo:

Code: Select all

http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/dists/stretch/main/binary/



Update: It's working very well (Kodi 17.4)!

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5955
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:44 am

The packages kindly provided by Rascas have been added to the raspberrypi.org repo as well.

Adrianfu
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:13 am
Location: Yarraman Australia

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:08 pm

I can not get Kodi to run at all under stretch. I get the splash screen and then reverts back to the desktop

Adrian

m0nk3y
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:28 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Adrianfu wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:08 pm
I can not get Kodi to run at all under stretch. I get the splash screen and then reverts back to the desktop
Same here. Whenever I try to start kodi I get a brief splash screen (most of the time it's just black) and then it returns back to the desktop. The only issue I can see in the crashlog is:

Code: Select all

Using host libthread_db library "/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libthread_db.so.1".
Core was generated by `/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/kodi/kodi_v7.bin --lircdev /var/run/lirc/lircd'.
Program terminated with signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
Full crashlog can be found here: *Link removed*

I purged kodi multiple times and reinstalled it from scratch using the raspberrypi.org stretch repo - without any success. I also deleted the .kodi folder inside the home directory so kodi will create a complete fresh one. Apparently this didn't help either :/

No idea if this issue is related to my system setup or not. After upgrading to stretch I used kodi 17.1 which was quite slow but at least it started.
Last edited by m0nk3y on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rascas
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:18 pm
Location: Porto, Portugal
Contact: Website

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:48 pm

You have only 76MB allocated to the GPU. The minimum for Kodi is 160MB and the recommended for RPi 2/3 is 256MB.
Also make sure you are using the Broadcom video drivers, it won't work with the open-source OpenGL drivers.

m0nk3y
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:28 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:04 am

And.......it's working again!

As a matter of fact I did increase the allocated GPU memory to 256MB after upgrading to stretch. However, it must have been reset while playing around with the different GL driver settings. Speaking of which, I wasn't quite sure which GL settings I had used on my jessie setup but "GL" sounded better than "Legacy" so I decided to go on with GL. It turned out that wasn't the brightest idea :/

Following your advice I switched back to "Legacy" (in raspi-config) and increased the allocated GPU memory back to 256MB. Now kodi works perfectly smooth again.

Thank's a lot for your support!!! You just made my day! :)

Best regards,

Crunkrock
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:34 am

Well, great, now I have a different problem. I updated kodi, and kodi-standalone is working, yay! First of all, thanks for all the help regarding that.

However, when I do

Code: Select all

startx
the screen stays just black. When I access it via VNC I see the PIXEL desktop without problems.

I tried to purge and reinstall

Code: Select all

xserver-xorg-core
as well as

Code: Select all

raspberry-ui-mods
. I tried to

Code: Select all

export DISPLAY=:0
and then

Code: Select all

xhost +
, only to see

Code: Select all

xhost: unable to open display ":0"
I think this might not even be related to updating kodi. I reinstalled xserver back when I thought it was related to kodi not starting up. Maybe I destroyed anything there?

Rascas
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:18 pm
Location: Porto, Portugal
Contact: Website

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:42 pm

Crunkrock wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:34 am
Well, great, now I have a different problem. I updated kodi, and kodi-standalone is working, yay! First of all, thanks for all the help regarding that.

However, when I do

Code: Select all

startx
the screen stays just black. When I access it via VNC I see the PIXEL desktop without problems.

I tried to purge and reinstall

Code: Select all

xserver-xorg-core
as well as

Code: Select all

raspberry-ui-mods
. I tried to

Code: Select all

export DISPLAY=:0
and then

Code: Select all

xhost +
, only to see

Code: Select all

xhost: unable to open display ":0"
I think this might not even be related to updating kodi. I reinstalled xserver back when I thought it was related to kodi not starting up. Maybe I destroyed anything there?
I don't think that's related to Kodi, it does not depend on that packages. Maybe better open another topic about the problem.

Crunkrock
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Kodi 17.1 incredibly slow on RaspBian Stretch on Raspberry Pi 3

Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:01 pm

I guess you're right, it was just that it happened while I was fixing it. I opened a new topic ... viewtopic.php?f=28&t=191781

Return to “Troubleshooting”