Albebop

Pi not booting, possible board damage?

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi all! Can anyone tell me if I totally killed my board? I attempted to add a jumper to the "run" through-holes on my Pi 3, and definitely should have gotten more practice first it seems!

I had initial success (the button I connected to the jumpers worked as expected) but after shutting down (using init 0) and moving it out of the workshop, I now only get a solid red power LED, no activity on the green LED at all.

I followed the recommended steps in the boot troubleshooting guide and re-formatted my SD, tried a different SD and also tried using Etcher to write the image.

Looking at the SD card holder, I don't see any damage (all pins appear to make contact).

Here is the album of the board damage:
https://imgur.com/a/1ReZH
On the bottom of the board, one of the spots I tried to solder on the jumper (since removed) seems to have some damage, but I'm unsure if this is sufficient to prevent booting.

If I fill the damaged pad on the bottom with solder might it fix this, or should I investigate other options before mauling it further?

Thanks in advance for any help or direction you can give me!

Imperf3kt

Re: Pi not booting, possible board damage?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:05 am

Are you sure the fuse didn't trip?
Power but no activity usually indicates this.

If it is the fuse, all you can do is wait a day or so.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

MaxK1

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:29 am

If the red LED is on, it is not the polyfuse. More likely there is a short at the RUN header (the image is too blurry to tell). If you have a meter, you can check if there is a short between the pins/pads. Is the SoC heating up to the point where you burn your finger?
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

Albebop

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:47 pm

MaxK1 wrote:If the red LED is on, it is not the polyfuse. More likely there is a short at the RUN header (the image is too blurry to tell). If you have a meter, you can check if there is a short between the pins/pads. Is the SoC heating up to the point where you burn your finger?
Thanks for helping! I didn't think to check for a short and will do that, also I'll check the temp of the SoC next time I plug it in.

drgeoff

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:42 pm

The only damage at those holes that would cause the RPi not to boot is a short between the square pad and the surrounding land or the other pad. That other pad (the circular one) should be connected to the ground plane but even if unconnected would not stop the RPi booting. Filling either or both holes with solder will not achieve anything beneficial.

Albebop

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:09 pm

drgeoff wrote:The only damage at those holes that would cause the RPi not to boot is a short between the square pad and the surrounding land or the other pad. That other pad (the circular one) should be connected to the ground plane but even if unconnected would not stop the RPi booting. Filling either or both holes with solder will not achieve anything beneficial.
Thanks for the info! The square pad is the one that has damage on the underside of the board; when I test continuity on the surface of the pad I can't get any response, but I can get a connection if I put a probe inside the through-hole on the square pad.

Testing in this way, there does not appear to be any short to the circular pad or any spot on the surface of the board or any nearby components.

Albebop

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:44 pm

Additional follow up; when plugged in, I do not notice any heat buildup on or near the main chip(s)

MaxK1

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:24 am

Am I interpreting this correctly? You show continuity from the circular pad to the inside of of the square pad? Then the SoC is being held in RESET. Not a Good Thing(tm)
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

Albebop

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:39 pm

Sorry I wasn't clear! No there is no short between the square and circular pad, but rather the square pad seems damaged on the surface, such that I can't consistently get continuity on its surface.

MaxK1

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Ah - OK. Then I can only assume static 'Lectricity zapped it. Unless someone else has any ideas....

alphanumeric

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:36 pm

What was soldered to those two pads? I usually just solder in a 2 pin header, like what is used for the GPIO. Then use jumpers with a female connector on the end to connect a momentary switch. So the damage was done when removing/unsoldering what ever it was you originally soldered in there?

alphanumeric

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:39 pm

If you heat the pad up with your soldering iron, then quickly wipe it with a wet/damp sponge, like the ones you use to clean your soldering iron tip. It should clean up any extra solder. Do one pad, then the other.

Albebop

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:44 pm

alphanumeric wrote:What was soldered to those two pads? I usually just solder in a 2 pin header, like what is used for the GPIO. Then use jumpers with a female connector on the end to connect a momentary switch. So the damage was done when removing/unsoldering what ever it was you originally soldered in there?
It was indeed a two-pin jumper header but I removed it since I thought it might have been the problem; what you can see in the pictures is the gorey aftermath of my attempt at soldering it on (barely had to touch the iron to the joints for it to release).

Albebop

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:46 pm

alphanumeric wrote:If you heat the pad up with your soldering iron, then quickly wipe it with a wet/damp sponge, like the ones you use to clean your soldering iron tip. It should clean up any extra solder. Do one pad, then the other.
Thanks for the tip! I'm not sure that this is the problem here but will definitely come in handy!

alphanumeric

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:06 am

It's hard to tell what going on, on the board as far as damage goes, from the picture. If its a short to another pad, due to messy unsoldering. A wipe with the damp sponge may fix it. Cleaning up that area with alcohol may help too.

Burngate

Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:29 am

The pictures are unclear, but there doesn't seem to me to be much excess solder, or a short between pads on the surface.
Perhaps the damage is deeper in the board? They are six-layer, so one of the inner layers could be affected.

My first thought would be to try filling the GND pad with solder.
Holes in boards are often used to transfer signals &c. from one layer to another, using through-hole plating - a copper tube at right-angles to copper sheets, hoping there's enough contact on that thin edge.
If when you removed the header it pulled the plating with it, filling with solder may cure it.
The RUN pad shouldn't go anywhere else, but the GND could connect a multitude of layers.

drgeoff

Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:21 am

Despite what I wrote earlier, if there is no continuity between the square pad on one side and the other side of the through hole there is one possibility of that affecting operation. If the external pullup resistor is connected to one end of the hole and the 'RUN' input on the processor chip is on the other then the 'RUN' input may not be at a high enough voltage to take the processor out of its 'no-run' state.

Albebop

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:55 am

Thanks for the continued suggestions everyone! I haven't had time to get down in the workshop lately but will review all this next time I get in there; looks like some good information here :)

Albebop

Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:43 pm

After following the suggestion to fill the ground through-hole, I've gotten it to boot!!

However, it seems to be not registering or powering the USB ports now :/ I've tested the mouse and keyboard in question on a PC and confirmed that they work, and also tried both NOOBS and Rasbian, I didn't get any recognition of mouse or keyboard with either!

Could my fumbling have broken a connection that I might be able to fix?

Albebop

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Just wanted to come back again with big thanks to all for their help, particularly drgeoff who gave the solution to restore my Pi (mostly). Since the USB ports stopped working I've opted to make it my pihole and will manage it remotely, and that seems to be working out! Cheers all!

Muntic0re

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:42 am

Maybe I am a bit late but it also possible to backup with disk drill tool.
Last edited by Muntic0re on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxK1

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:18 am

Not sure what Muntic0re's posting has to do with the problem at hand ....

Do you measure +5V on the USB ports? If not, it may be possible to kludge a "fix" by tapping into the 5V rail. Although now that you sort of have a working board, you may not want to go near it with your soldering iron again :lol:

Return to “Troubleshooting”