beerich

Camera connector on Pi Zero

Tue May 02, 2017 5:38 pm

OOPS! NOOB error.

Whilst connecting the short camera cable to my Pi Zero, I managed to pull the little black sliding clamp off the connector on the board; it flew off the edge of the table and I cannot find it anywhere. :(

Without this clip, the camera cable won't stay in place. Is it possible to get a replacement clip, or perhaps a new connector so I can use the clip from that? Or is there another solution?

Thanks

Brian

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Camera connector on Pi Zero

Tue May 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Not sure of anywhere you can buy the clip - either keep looking or perhaps glue gun the connector in? Or perhaps just tape for a less permanent connection?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

drgeoff

Tue May 02, 2017 6:09 pm

Buy another Zero and use your current one for project(s) that don't use the camera.

beerich

Wed May 03, 2017 11:57 am

I'll try using superglue to hold the cable in place. I can always disconnect the camera at that end of the cable.

Would love another Pi Zero, but will save that until I have an application that needs it. :(

pi_everalm

Wed May 03, 2017 5:48 pm

I had a similar problem with a new 0W, check that your connector works before gluing.

As you can see on mine, the connecter on the left came away and also appears to have a soldered connector and even with the cable pushed in, the camera would only work intermittently.
2nd zero w.jpg
2nd zero w.jpg (63.3 KiB) Viewed 1130 times

gregeric

Wed May 03, 2017 6:17 pm

The black portion of the camera socket is a wedge - when pushed in it both (weakly) secures the cable & at the the same time presses together the cable & connector contacts.

Without the wedge, you will not get reliable electrical connections.

You could try pushing a thin layer of (for example) plastic in the space where the wedge sits, then glueing. That's a bit of a long shot.

wh7qq

Wed May 03, 2017 7:03 pm

If you can find the retainer bar again, put it back in place (you will probably need magnification), push it in to the "lock" position and then force the camera cable into place. It holds pretty securely that way. Just be sure to bottom out the cable in the connector. Hot melt glue may be ok on that connector but I would be afraid that super glue would wick in under the contacts and form an insulation.

Return to “Troubleshooting”