chalky_flint

Broken USB on Pi Zero W

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi there,

I'm on my second Pi0W, and it looks as if I've lost the ability to use the USB port again.

On my first machine, it worked for a limited time, and on the second I've had a keyboard, network adapter, mouse and a USB storage stick attached and working.

Today my Pi started doing odd things, wouldn't boot, would reboot. Re-flashing media got it back on track a little. I think I've worked out that I have a bad pig tail. I suspected the pig tail was faulty and as such borrowed a friends (same item). Pi wouldn't boot when using one today, but would with another (swapping like for like). However it has worked previously. I moved the cable attached to the mouse on the suspect pig tail today and the Pi blacked out.

Now it seems my second Pi hasn't got a working USB slot. I can no longer drive it any more with keyboard or mouse.

My question is, does this sound likely? The vendor of the pig tail is an official Pi outlet. Does the problem lay at their door? I feel somewhat bad returning a second Pi, what with margins likely being so thin.

Hendrix

Re: Broken USB on Pi Zero W

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:19 pm

Sorry to hear your pi appears not to be working. I can't offer any constructive advice but wondering if you could tell me what hub you are using as I can't get any functionality at all with any I've tried.
Appreciate this may come across annoying considering your predicament and don't mind you telling me where to go haha

chalky_flint

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:39 pm

@Hendrix, no hub used. It's not needed for one peripheral at a time is it? The attraction of the Pi 0 W in part. is that once setup, I might not need any peripherals connected.

Hendrix

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:55 pm

Apologies, I assumed you were using multiple peripherals at the same time.

wh7qq

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:02 pm

The little OTG connectors on the Pi Zero are a PITA at best but considering the space available, I guess that is it. One approach to the problem is to add a "Zero4U" board from UUGear.com which provides 4 full size USB 2.0 ports and several power plug-ins. The connection to the motherboard is via 4 spring loaded pogo pins that contact pads on the Zero so it does not depend on the OTG port at all. The Zero4U is pretty cheap...under $10 USD...and attaches directly to one side of the Zero and has the same footprint.

Your account of the problem is a bit confusing, as re-flashing the SD card should not have made things any better if the USB OTG connector is truly at fault. On the other hand, I thought I had a bad Edimax wifi dongle and replaced it with a Panda and it worked. Now the Edimax is working fine...maybe just manipulating the OTG made the diff. I bought a pair of "UGreen" adapters from Amazon and they seem to be fine but a direct plug-in to the board with one of the little "no-wire" adapters did not seem to work. I have had bad luck with the OTG USB sockets...the failure point on an Amazon Fire tablet that was given to me a while back.

How are you powering the Pi? Your problem may also relate to trying to draw too much power from the USB ports with external devices. What is the current output rating of your wall wart? Most phone chargers will power a Zero alone but may not cope with the USB loading, resulting in reboots or worse. A power failure at the wrong time may corrupt the SD card causing boot failure. Try removing all USB devices except the wifi or ethernet and connect to the Zero with ssh from another computer on your network, or use a USB-serial adapter from another computer.

chalky_flint

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:47 pm

I'm not that happy with any of my power adapters. I have a Microsoft and Blackberry adapter. Both output under 1A. I've read that the Pi Zero has a far lower draw than the other devices. So assume that as unloaded this wouldn't be an issue.

Both Pi Zero W boards I've had, have previously worked with a USB keyboard attached, at some point.

After connecting the Pi Zero W to my Debian (Stretch v9, Debian 4.9.6-3 (2017-01-28)) laptop (no SD card, middle usb port), I get the following after running dmesg on this second Pi Zero W (I read a similar error on my first board):

Code: Select all

$ sudo dmesg

[147689.492069] usb 4-2: new low-speed USB device number 6 using uhci_hcd
[147689.832075] usb 4-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[147690.068071] usb 4-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[147690.296035] usb 4-2: new low-speed USB device number 7 using uhci_hcd
[147690.424052] usb 4-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[147690.664054] usb 4-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[147690.892155] usb 4-2: new low-speed USB device number 8 using uhci_hcd
[147691.312067] usb 4-2: device not accepting address 8, error -71
[147691.640083] usb 4-2: new low-speed USB device number 9 using uhci_hcd
[147692.060069] usb 4-2: device not accepting address 9, error -71
[147692.060135] usb usb4-port2: unable to enumerate USB device
Should I also supply power to the Pi Zero when connecting to a laptop? In the above example, I just have the one cable from the Pi to the laptop.

Earlier today, I'd been watching a video file using LibreElec, reading from a USB Stick and controlling with a bluetooth keyboard. That I'd initially set up via a wired keyboard.

wh7qq

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:13 am

USB is supposed to be hot-plugable, however, with memories, there is always the risk of pulling the key while a file is still being written and that pretty much guarantees corruption of that file at least, if not the whole thing. Many of them have an activity LED but if it is a memory or a HDD, SDD, be careful.

Just hooking a laptop to an RPi should not require any special care.

elkberry

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:27 am

Power separately, even (or in particular) if using a PC USB port. Quality of voltage varies widely with USB, as you'll see using a USB charge doctor or similar. Use an official Raspberry power supply for reference to check whether the Pi is working correctly. Thid way, you can cross-check other power supplies. For reference, I'm running my Pi0Ws off a 5.2V power brick (10.4Ah), and the >5.0v is helping much.
From ZX81 to Raspberry Pi, but wait ... where's the 7805 gone?

flagtrax

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Hello, I'm wondering if there has been a resolution to this issue. I've just gotten a Rpi zero w and have a similar situation. I've posted on another thread because I originally thought I had issues with the Raspbian install.
Here's the scenario:
Raspberry Pi zero w using a standard Rpi power supply that I use on my Rpi 2b. Using a bluetooth transceiver that I also used on my Rpi 2b. The system boots to the Pixel screen without any USB port functionality. I then went through a powered hub to the transceiver with the same results. When booting, prior to seeing the Pixel desktop, I see several lines of boot activity. The first says
"[ 5.379003] usb usb1-port1: connect-debounce failed"
Again power should be good, the bluetooth adapter, keyboard and mouse all work on my Rpi2b. any thoughts folks?

linux_author

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:17 pm

get a hub if you're worried about integrity of the micro-usb connector:

i have made my own using junk-box hubs... YMMV

hth,

willie
on the cheap-computing Gulf of Mexico

Return to “Troubleshooting”