bholland84
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:43 am

Cannot ping or ssh over WiFi

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:56 am

The subject says it all. I booted up my pi using the vanilla SD card that came with the pi, attempted to ssh into it over wifi, it didn't work. I tried to ping it. That didn't work. I plugged it into my router, both work.

When it isn't plugged into the router, I can access anything online, including the apt-get raspbian repos.

Is there something wrong with the default sshd configuration? I find it a bit strange that I can't even ping the device out of the box but the device has internet.

And yes, I googled this and didn't find an answer that worked.

Thanks!
~Ben

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21084
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Cannot ping or ssh over WiFi

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:56 am

bholland84 wrote:The subject says it all. I booted up my pi using the vanilla SD card that came with the pi, attempted to ssh into it over wifi, it didn't work. I tried to ping it. That didn't work. I plugged it into my router, both work.

When it isn't plugged into the router, I can access anything online, including the apt-get raspbian repos.

Is there something wrong with the default sshd configuration? I find it a bit strange that I can't even ping the device out of the box but the device has internet.

And yes, I googled this and didn't find an answer that worked.

Thanks!
~Ben
Raspbian Jessie SSH is disabled by default:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/a-secu ... bian-pixel
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

adeguntoro
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:11 am

Re: Cannot ping or ssh over WiFi

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:18 pm

you need to enable via raspi-config, so it mean you must boot into raspi with monitor..

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21084
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Cannot ping or ssh over WiFi

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:45 pm

adeguntoro wrote:you need to enable via raspi-config, so it mean you must boot into raspi with monitor..
Poppycock, do not need to attach a Monitor, please read the link I posted, especially:

. If you want to enable SSH, all you need to do is to put a file called ssh in the /boot/ directory.
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

adeguntoro
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:11 am

Re: Cannot ping or ssh over WiFi

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:19 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
adeguntoro wrote:you need to enable via raspi-config, so it mean you must boot into raspi with monitor..
Poppycock, do not need to attach a Monitor, please read the link I posted, especially:

. If you want to enable SSH, all you need to do is to put a file called ssh in the /boot/ directory.
seriuosly ??all the time i always attach a monitor just for enable SSH, nice info :D

Khackee
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:22 pm

Re: Cannot ping or ssh over WiFi

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:25 pm

I had the exact same issue. I checked to make sure SSH was enabled and it was.. My problem was on my apple airport router. When I set it up, I created 2 logins, one for my equipment (password protected), and one for my visiting family members.
My rpi was connected to my guest account, and once i switched it to the main router login, my issue was resolved.. Just thought I would share my noobie mistake.

Return to “Troubleshooting”