HankB

USB Hub no longer works

Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:16 pm

I've used an Anker slim USB 3.0 hub (Model A7518) in the past and recently I find it no longer works. I'm using it with a Logitech Unifying receiver and Ducky Shine4 keyboard (Backlit via LED.) My USB meter shows that the keyboard uses up to 170 mA and the unifying receiver shows either 0 or 30 mA.

I'm 99% certain that this used to work. (Perhaps it was with a Pi zero.)

It works fine a regular PC. Both keyboard and mouse work fine if plugged directly into a Pi 2 B pr Pi 3 B but show a lightening bolt at startup (and not during operation.) Once the Pi is up and running, the USB meter shows 5.01V on a Pi USB port.

Any suggestions to get this powered hub working are most welcome.

Thanks!

Edit: Doesn't work with a Pi zero (V1.2 - no camera connection.) Also the Pi zero has a tendency to restart any time something is plugged into the USB connection.

wh7qq

Re: USB Hub no longer works

Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:47 pm

On several different boxes including this RPi3, I have noticed that combining wireless mice and keyboards with a USB 3.0 port is a killer, with either a refusal to work or intermittent function. This seems to be the result of a USB 3.0 bug that has been widely reported. Try the same setup with a 2.0 hub or no hub at all.

HankB

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:12 am

No hub at all and it works albeit with a low power indication at startup.

I don't think I have a powered USB 2.0 hub. (Not one what I can find the wall wort for, anyway. I hate that wall worts seldom include the name of the vendor that packaged them any more. I've gotten into the habit of putting stickers on them these days.)

Something else I find interesting. I have an Edimax 802.11n dongle and that works in the hub even when the keyboard and mouse do not. It is

Code: Select all

Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
Thanks for the tip on the USB 3.0 bug. Perhaps I should try swapping to a keyboard that works off the same wireless receiver. Sadly it is much quieter than the one with mechanical switches. ;)

ktb

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:25 am

FWIW, I use a Targus powered USB 3.0 hub (Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port, 2 TT per port) which has always worked OK with my Pi2B and Pi3B (with USB mouse and keyboard connected though the hub). http://www.targus.com/au/targus-4-port- ... rspeed-hub

wh7qq

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:49 am

HankB wrote:No hub at all and it works albeit with a low power indication at startup.
The low power indication at startup can be the result of a weak wall wart or a high resistance cable (thin or long) or the loading on the USB ports...may not be related to your problem at all. If it doesn't persist during normal operation, don't worry. I had to give up on even using a USB 3.0 adapter for my SSD...it was making the wireless mouse/keyboard intermittent. Now I use a wireless logitech mouse and a wired keyboard. All is happy.

Return to “Troubleshooting”