Blanks

Bluetooth LE keyboard support?

Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi, I have a quick (hopefully) question regarding Bluetooth le support on the rpi3 with raspbian.

I've made a Bluetooth le keyboard using an adafruit bluefruit 32u4 le. It works fine when paired to my iPhone and computer. The problem comes when I try to use it on the pi3.

Bluetoothctl shows it, can pair it, trust it and connect with it, it can show the info and says it's a keyboard device, but nothing types when I press the buttons.

I've tried a couple of versions of bluez and I'm just out of ideas.

Is it just a Linux compatibility issue with the rpis operating system, its onboard Bluetooth chip and Bluetooth le?

Thanks for any advice as this is the last outstanding issue on my project.

shuckle

Re: Bluetooth LE keyboard support?

Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:58 pm

As far as I know the bluez in RPI3 does not support LE HID, which your keyboard probably uses.
I suffer this myself and would be very happy if somebody prooves me wrong or gives a workaround.

Douglas6

Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:09 pm

One poster reported success with BlueZ 5.43 and a BLE keyboard. I don't know if it was using the on board Bluetooth or a dongle. I myself haven't tried upgrading BlueZ and I don't own a Bluetooth keyboard. Your mileage may vary.

shuckle

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:38 pm

Just tried and I was not able to get my Bean+ to work as HID with BlueZ 5.43 :(

shuckle

Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:12 pm

It basically looks good except that it does not work. And I do get a lot of (about 15 per second) these in dmesg:
Bluetooth: SMP security requested but not available

Return to “Troubleshooting”