Rhobz

Kodi won't play movies

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:29 am

Just purchased the rpi3 & needless to say im stuck trying to kodi to play a video successfully without it giving me the sad face. Tried a bunch of things but no luck. Someone please help.

topguy

Re: Kodi won't play movies

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:44 am

What have you installed ?
What kind of videos ( format/codec) do you try to play ?
Where are the movies stored ?
Any error messages we should know about ?

MaxK1

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:12 am

How much memory have you set aside for the GPU?
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

Rhobz

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:04 pm

First i downloaded & installed osmc to the computer then copied it to my sd card that is 32gb & for some reason it said my 32gb only had 283mb left on it, i followed youtube how to instruction vids & i must say some are a lil hard to follow at times. I haven't plugged any external hard drves in the rpi3. The videos i tried playing were from specto-fork & one or two youtube vids & a world star hip hop vid..all videos didn't play..just the sad face each time. After multiple times of trying i erased osmc & downloaded both noobs & raspian but only put noobs on the sd only to get the same. I've been using an ethernet connection for all of my attempts. I saw a page where you can put in commands or write code.

Rhobz

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:09 pm

No error msgs pop up either just a sad face & a reboot.

topguy

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:13 pm

And a reboot ?? sound very strange...

So you installed the youtube plugin/add-on and tried to watch videos from there ?

I've used xbmc/Kodi for almost 10 years (not on raspberry Pi) , I've never seen a "sad face" so that must be something in the skin they use in OSMC. Do you have a picture ?

Rhobz

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:14 pm

I saw a partition button but i don't know how to set a gpu limit nor do i want to click/change stuff i know nothing about.

Rhobz

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Yes i downloaded the youtube plug in, It goes through the motions of trying to get the video & sources then it attempts to play but then a flash of the screen & a sad face

topguy

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:38 pm

How good (powerful) is your power-supply ?

Any Openelec or OSMC installation should have the correct GPU memory-settings.

Rhobz

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:46 pm

Its the recommended power supply cord 5.25v/2.4a micro usb switching ac power supply
Maker: pro-elec

DarrenHill

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:59 pm

You might have more success if you weren't using 3rd party add-ons like Specto which are streaming illegally sourced and pirated material from fly-by-night backstreet servers and which are totally unsupported by Team Kodi.

Many of those so-called tutorial videos on YouTube will just lead you into such junk which can make your system very unstable and unreliable, not to mention being a major security risk. Read the links below:

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=258
https://kodi.tv/warning-be-aware-what-a ... u-install/

Rhobz

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:11 pm

I have specto-fork on a jail broken ipad & it works perfect. I watched youtube videos to be educated on how to successfully install rasbian & osmc not kodi addons. If anyone has the solution to my issue please reply as i don't have the energy to entertain everyones personal comments.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:11 pm

Rhobz wrote:First i downloaded & installed osmc to the computer then copied it to my sd card that is 32gb & for some reason it said my 32gb only had 283mb left on it, i followed youtube how to instruction vids & i must say some are a lil hard to follow at times. I haven't plugged any external hard drves in the rpi3. The videos i tried playing were from specto-fork & one or two youtube vids & a world star hip hop vid..all videos didn't play..just the sad face each time. After multiple times of trying i erased osmc & downloaded both noobs & raspian but only put noobs on the sd only to get the same. I've been using an ethernet connection for all of my attempts. I saw a page where you can put in commands or write code.
Start again with OSMC, seeing the size of SD card smaller in Windows is normal as Windows only reads the first FAT Partition. The default settings when OSMC is booted should be AOK.

Do not install any 3rd party add-ons, they are illegal and garbage, YouTube plugin should be listed by default.

Regards NoobS that is an installer / chooser not an Operating System...
Retired disgracefully.....

MaxK1

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:17 pm

I assumed the OP was using Kodi on a Raspbian system, hence the question about GPU memory. If using osmc or openelec, that should be set correctly. Do any videos work at all? From any add-on?
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

Rhobz

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:24 pm

Ok i have noobs installed on the sd card & i picked osmc as the operating system. Are you saying that i need the original osmc & not the one that comes with noobs? I've tried playing a video in youtube without getting video addons in kodi & it still doesn't work.

Rhobz

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:30 pm

The things that I tried was specto, world star & youtube..worldstar & youtube come pre-installed

MattHawkinsUK

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Stick a video file on a USB stick and see if you can get Kodi to play that. That will at least eliminate the networking side of it.

Within the Youtube interface does it let you search?
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

Rhobz

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 pm

Plugged my wd 2t hub & it won't play neither does youtube

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:58 pm

Rhobz wrote:Plugged my wd 2t hub & it won't play neither does youtube
Personally I used Raspbian Jessie ( without NobS ) and kweb ;)
Retired disgracefully.....

Rhobz

Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Seems like I'll be doing some more sd card rewrites cause im reading & not finding a concrete solution to this problem since this isn't the first time this has occurred with the rpi zero,1,2&3

DarrenHill

Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:59 pm

Just burn OSMC or LibreElec straight to the card, forget Noobs entirely.

And steer clear of those so-called YouTube tutorials and the 3rd party piracy add-ons if you want a stable or usable system. Kodi and the Pi variants above do not come with any video add-ons or sources pre-installed, so from your comment above I'd wonder quite what you are actually running. But if you insist on polluting things with crap like Specto then you're asking for trouble and instability.

Rhobz

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:13 pm

Ok, i installed specto to see if anything would play thats it! I have it on a jailbroken ipad plus i was only on YouTube to figure out how to get osmc/openelec on my sd card(case&point) i got things to work now but thanks for your comment tho...

Reedler

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:09 pm

This worked for me
I ran into similar audio-only and blank screen problems before. Here is what I did to solve the problems:
1) Turn on both hardware accelerations from settings (one already on by default)
2) sudo nano /boot/config.txt Add following line and reboot: gpu_mem_1024=512

rickmart

Thu May 31, 2018 7:27 am

Hope you are not installing and using the illegal addon. Kodi is not just streaming free movies using the internet. You need to find the legit addon that is legal and free to use.
Last edited by rickmart on Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.

LTolledo

Thu May 31, 2018 10:17 am

On my Raspberry Pi Zero W with gpu memory set to 256 (though 192 is already sufficient), I installed Kodi over Raspbian Stretch with Desktop. Configured it to automatically load at boot.

All files are accessed (actually "can only be accessed") via samba shares from windows and other RPis/SOCs. Currently watching latest episode of "Boruto" anime...
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Return to “Troubleshooting”