TrangleC

a angry rant

Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:26 pm

Moderator edit. Deleted entire post due to general rudeness and too much swearing. This is a child friendly forum. Left thread as it does answer the question.

I've been using Pi's as media servers for years with no issues. So it's either setup or SD card.

ElEscalador

Elescalador

Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:52 pm

You misspelled "The system isn't what I'm used to and I don't know how to make work like I imagined, and maybe I even have it set up with the wrong peripherals and power supply and it's really frustrating that I haven't learned in a couple months how to do what I've spent the past 20 years learning on windows."

I don't know how to do any of that stuff either, but that just means there is anything deficient with the pi/Linux - it just means I haven't learned how yet.
Giving away some sensors and robot parts in advance of my book release! The first review and giveaway below!

https://youtu.be/fCX0HaeQiyw

zerofool

Re: a angry rant

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:03 pm

Try a better sdcard, I have a pi3 and with a cheap sdcard from argos it freezes up just like you describe. However same system and pi but better sdcard runs like a dream.

jahboater

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:08 pm

TrangleC wrote: As long as there are no media players comparable to VLC Player
I use VLC Player all time - on Linux ...

kusti8

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:12 pm

Yours comparing a $35 computer to a computer that probably cost way more and then basing your judgement of Linux on that one single low powered ARM platform? Try Linux on a desktop. It may not be right for you, but for me it is much better
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:27 pm

Someone has bought the wrong product and can not admit it, oh dear. :roll:
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

FlexibleSigmoid

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:47 pm

*An angry rant

mfa298

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:01 pm

You may get a better response if you swear less.
TrangleC wrote: As long as there are no media players comparable to VLC Player for Windows and other conveniences like a easy to open Task Manager for Linux, I have no use for it.
You mean like VLC (yes it exists on Linux as well). I believe for the Pi you're better compiling it manually as that will give you full hardware support (which you may not get from the packaged version).

There are also plenty of tools for examining running tasks, the popular terminal based tools are top and htop. There's probably some decent graphical ones as well.

I think the issue you're seeing is that the Pi is fairly limited hardware for what you're trying to do. Modern websites need a fair bit of ram in the machine being used. The Pis have at most 1GB of ram (that's equivalent to PCs I was using 10 or more years ago and I wouldn't expect them to browse many modern websites these days either)

linux_author

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:10 pm

we have several RPi3s deployed around the casa. on one we've been using OSMC w/Kodi for the past year, playing TV shows, music and movies - works great... another is our music, Internet radio and shopping list printer (w/an attached thermal printer)... works fine, and we stream classical music in the house all day long... a third is our outside WX gatherer that also happens to host our library of 50,000 digital books (accessed via a lighttpd server from my MacAir or the wife unit's iPad)... a fourth RPi, a Zero, provides a comprehensive date/time/in/out/weather data display for a guest room

i've been using Linux since '93 - trust me, the old days of the 1.2.13 kernel rebuilding to add support for a new sound card are not recalled with the fondest of memories (although at one point with the 2.X-series i had a dual-CPU Athlon system that could do a kernel rebuild in 60 seconds - *that* was fun!)

so, YMMV, but i'm sorry you've had such a bad experience... you don't say how long you've been involved with computers, but take it from an old codger - things are a lot better nowadays and i've been able to work around most problems, including the code bloat of Raspbian distros

willie
swimming every day on the Gulf of Mexico

TrangleC

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:54 pm

zerofool wrote:Try a better sdcard, I have a pi3 and with a cheap sdcard from argos it freezes up just like you describe. However same system and pi but better sdcard runs like a dream.
Thanks, I suppose that must be the issue then.

Still weird, considering that every desktop PC I ever had (even way slower ones than the Pi 3) used conventional hard drives and no matter how cheap and slow the SD card I'm using in my Pi might be, it still must be infinitely faster than those HDD.

HawaiianPi

Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:55 am

TrangleC wrote:...Still weird, considering that every desktop PC I ever had (even way slower ones than the Pi 3) used conventional hard drives and no matter how cheap and slow the SD card I'm using in my Pi might be, it still must be infinitely faster than those HDD.
Don't know where you got that strange idea, but it's completely wrong.

An SD card is NOT and SSD drive. While they both use solid state memory as storage, they are completely different devices.

SSD drives have much more powerful controllers and are optimised for use on computers. They have very fast read and write speeds in both sequential and random I/O. SD cards and most USB flash drives are only optimised for sequential I/O and usually perform horribly at random I/O. This is unfortunate when they are used as a computer OS drive because a lot of what a computer does is non-sequential (random) I/O.

Take any SD card or USB flash drive you happen to have and copy a large single file to it and note the transfer speed. Then take a large folder full of tiny files and do the same and see what happens. I have USB 3.0 flash drives that can read/write at over 200MB/second sequentially, but drop to single digits in random reads (6MB/s) and sub-MB in random write (0.026MBs).

Alternately you could run a benchmark like CrystalDiskMark to compare your SD card to a hard drive or SSD and see what's happening. While it's possible that some of the fastest SD cards might beat a hard drive at sequential I/O, most will get clobbered in random I/O.

The best bang for the buck in SD cards that don't suck horribly at random I/O is probably the Samsung EVO+ series.

That being said, there seems to be some odd misconception that the Raspberry Pi3 is a fast computer. It's not. The Raspberry Pi3 is... a very fast Raspberry Pi (10 times faster than the original PiB). But we are talking about a SOC based on mobile technology with only 1GB of RAM and USB 2.0. A cheap laptop, chromebook and even some of the better netbooks will outperform it (and probably won't cost much more by the time you add all the extra stuff you need for the Pi3).

If your goal was to get a fast computer on a budget, you should have looked for a deal on a used laptop or chromebook.

As far as a media computer goes, you should be able to do that well with any Raspberry Pi. I used our original PiB as a media device for years, but it was dedicated to media consumption.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

linux_author

Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:27 am

HawaiianPi wrote: The best bang for the buck in SD cards that don't suck horribly at random I/O is probably the Samsung EVO+ series.
+1 - that series on my RPis and Beaglebones have performed very well.. had many failures with Sandisk and third-party brands... and i've found the Samsungs on sale locally at ~US$10/32GB and ~US$15/64GB (i don't like any larger cards due to the long times required for cloning using ddrescue; i keep a backup sdhc w/every RPi in use)

willie
on the cheap computing Gulf of Mexico

HawaiianPi

Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:31 pm

linux_author wrote:... and i've found the Samsungs on sale locally at ~US$10/32GB and ~US$15/64GB...
I have managed to acquire five 32GB EVO+ cards for less than $10 each (3 from a local Best Buy and 2 from Ebay), and I just purchased two 16GB for $5.98 each. I have tried to get a good deal on 64GB and 128GB EVO+ cards, but they have all been fakes or simply never arrived. Even though I did get all my money refunded, I have pretty much given up on the larger sizes.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Troubleshooting”