cchisholm

unable to boot rp3

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:23 pm

I just got my new rp3. I thought I would try to use the boot sd from one of my rp2's and it wouldn't boot. I noticed that although the power light comes on, the status light never shows any signs of life, regarless of whether there is an SD card in the slot or not. I'm not sure if I have a DOA or what. My rp2's will show a solid green status light if I turn them on with no SD, and will blink when an SD is found and loaded. ON the rp3, I never see anything but a red power light.

fruitoftheloom

Re: unable to boot rp3

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:26 pm

cchisholm wrote:I just got my new rp3. I thought I would try to use the boot sd from one of my rp2's and it wouldn't boot. I noticed that although the power light comes on, the status light never shows any signs of life, regarless of whether there is an SD card in the slot or not. I'm not sure if I have a DOA or what. My rp2's will show a solid green status light if I turn them on with no SD, and will blink when an SD is found and loaded. ON the rp3, I never see anything but a red power light.
Did you fully update whatever Operating System is on the SD Card prior to trying on the RPi 3B ??
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Canedje

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:27 pm

The new RPI3b needs the latest version of NOOB.
You cannot use an old RPI SD card
So the best is to start from scratch again (I did :? )
Last edited by Canedje on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:34 pm

Canedje wrote:The new RPI3b needs the latest version of NOOB.
You cannot use an old RPI SD card
That is so wrong :D
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

cchisholm

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:59 pm

Ok, I will go through setting up a new os and try again. This is just the first version of RP (and I've had most) that the status light didn't show ANY signs of life, regardless of the SD version or even its presence. That threw me a bit.

Thanks

Return to “Troubleshooting”