ryanshepard

Espeak error with USB Del Soundbar (but Youtube sound works)

Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:33 am

Please help!

Getting the following error using a simple espeak "hello world" command from the terminal. I get normal sound from websites through the USB Del Soundbar (speakers), but no TTS. Here is the error:

ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835.pcm.front.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4259:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4738:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM front
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835.pcm.surround51.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4259:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4738:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround21
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835.pcm.surround51.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround21
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835.pcm.surround40.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround40
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround41
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround50
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround51
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835.pcm.surround71.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround71
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835.pcm.iec958.0:CARD=0,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM iec958
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835.pcm.iec958.0:CARD=0,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM spdif
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM spdif
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1514
Expression 'ValidateParameters( outputParameters, hostApi, StreamDirection_Out )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1846

brekee12

Re: Espeak error with USB Del Soundbar (but Youtube sound wo

Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:33 am

The error messages are correct. Would you share the command you start espeak. The issue come up mainly by incorrect setup of the alsa and espeak can not use it right way.
Brekee12
on a Raspberry B+ with whezzy, two Zero with Jessie Light

ryanshepard

Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:28 pm

command used at terminal: espeak "hello world"

ryanshepard

Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:29 pm

It seems like an issue with Alsa, but I'm not sure how to correct or what is causing the issue.. I'm on a raspberry pi 3 with Jessie.

brekee12

Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:51 pm

It is alsa problem. Normally gives some error messages (does not find jack server and some alsa messages), because alsa defaults to the jack connector, there maybe you got the voice, but clearly alsa not configured correctly. Sorry I am on RPi 1B.
Brekee12
on a Raspberry B+ with whezzy, two Zero with Jessie Light

richrarobi

Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:22 pm

Not sure exactly of the whole answer....
I set up espeak on a pi2, and had all those messages, and sound didn't work. Found a note somewhere that PulseAudio was the CAUSE, solution was to remove PulseAudio (sudo apt-get remove PulseAudio). It still didn't work. I tried espeak on a B+ that I knew had working sound (MPC/MPD works) same problem except that removing PulseAudio fixed it (maybe my pi2 doesnt have working audio?)

b+ wasn't fast enough - espeak stutters. So b+ is out, I tried espeak on a second pi2 - removing PulseAudio does cure the lack of sound.
NBBB I still get the error messages everywhere. Somewhere I read that espeak tries to use everything, gives errors if they don't work - offered solution seemed to be to lose the error output!!! (YUK!) - the attached works, error messages get sent into outer space.

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/python3
# zlocal.py
import datetime
from time import sleep

def speak(msg):
    import subprocess
    p = subprocess.Popen(['espeak', '-ven+f3', '-k5', '-s180', msg], stderr = subprocess.DEVNULL )
    p.communicate(timeout=10)
    return

if __name__ == "__main__":
    try:
        while True:
#            print(getTmp())
            speak("Hello Rob: want a NEW Motor?")
            sleep(1)

except KeyboardInterrupt:
        sleep(2)
        print ("program stopped")
        sleep(2)

Totally confused - I put the pulseaudio back, and everything still works!! (Now have espeak, mpc/mpd and SDR DAB radio on same pi2 (the second one I tried).

Return to “Troubleshooting”