electronicman

Model 3 Slow

Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:00 pm

I have at least one of every Raspberry-Pi model, and I noticed that each one is a bit faster than the previous one. However I find that the Model-3 appears to be slower to react than the model-2.

I set both the model 2 and the model 3 up with the latest OS (Pixel) and running them side by side the reaction time for the Model-2 is noticably faster when using Chromuim or opening Libreoffice writer or even some of the games.

I am no expert in these matters, and I only noticed this as my regular PC has failed, and I resorted to using the Pi's as my desktop PC temporarily.

I have also observed that when running streaming video using Chromium/Flash, The model 3 will give me a high temperature indication after about 10 to 15 minutes, while the model 2 does not. I am running the Model 2 overclock at high

Has anyone else noticed this or do I have a problem with my Model-3?
David

kusti8

Re: Model 3 Slow

Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:11 pm

The Pi3 can sometimes overheat which is why a heatsink may be useful. Streaming videos in Flash is very intensive and will up your CPU temp very high. Not really much out of the ordinary, although the Pi3 is faster than the Pi2.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

davidcoton

Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:51 pm

Have you compared speeds using the same SDCard in each? That eliminates software differences and differences in the performance of the card.
Signature retired

Gavinmc42

Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:01 am

Use sudo raspi-config in a terminal window to check if OpenGL is turned off.
I have found Chromium runs better with it off.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

electronicman

Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:07 pm

Thank you for the replies.

I found a nice small heat sink and stuck it on the CPU with some heat sink compound, and the Hi-Temp indicator as gone away.

I am using the exact same SD cards on both units.
The only difference between the two is the Wi-Fi adapter, using a Edimax on all my other Pi's, not sure what is in the model 3 but the signal levels appear to be the same if the icon bars are any real indication.

Checked that OpenGL was off.

I might make a visit to my local computer shop a buy another model-3 to compare, it's a good excuse to get another Zero as well.
David

davidcoton

Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:44 pm

electronicman wrote:I am using the exact same SD cards on both units.
In order to test, you don't want "exact same SD cards". You want "exact same SD card" (singular). Comparative performance of two boards (same type or not) can only be judged with identical software and peripheral hardware. You may be demonstrating a quirk of one card, or the software configuration may have a small but significant difference. While the software can be copied from one card to another, you are still unlikely to have cards with an identical use history, and that can be significant. Meaningful testing requires you to remove as many variables as possible, and transferring one SDCard between the two boards is the best way to do that.

If your tests involve WiFi transfers, the adapters are the most likely source of differences. Ideally you would want the Pi3 to use the same external adapter as the Pi2, with the onboard WiFi disabled. That may reveal room for improving the Pi3 onboard WiFi. It is possible to put separate configurations for different model on one SDCard, so that you don't try disabling non-existent onboard WiFi on the Pi2.

Getting worthwhile comparisons is just plain tedious (I know, been there, done that, got the T-shirt and the scars....)
Signature retired

Return to “Troubleshooting”