Damaged SD card during dd, can I recover it

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi all

While trying to write the arch linux image to an sd card, I stupidly managed to mess up the command, leaving my sd card unviewable.

Instead of doing this:

Code: Select all

dd bs=1M if=./archlinuxarm-13-06-2012.img of=/dev/mmcblk0
I did this:

Code: Select all

dd bs=1M if=./archlinuxarm-13-06-2012.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1
Note the "p1" at the end of the command.

Thanks to this, my SD card is now unusable - it doesn't automount, and it doesn't show up if i do lsusb.

Is there anything I could do to possibly recover it?

Extra information:
I'm currently running crunchbang linux (debian derivative), on a dell XPS15. I have a windows partition if there are any windows specific tools that might help, but it might take a bit of work to get it running again.

Jim JKla

Re: Damaged SD card during dd, can I recover it

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:35 pm

Just re-image it.

If you can't see it in your reader format it in a camera first.

There's some generic imge info here http://elinux.org/RPi_Noob_Guide_to_the ... g_an_image

There are tools for doing all of this but a camera with an SD slot is by far the easiest. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:44 pm

Ah, ok, I'll poll my friends to see which might have a camera I could borrow :P

Thanks!

NickT

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:38 am

Jim JKla wrote:Just re-image it.

If you can't see it in your reader format it in a camera first.

There's some generic imge info here http://elinux.org/RPi_Noob_Guide_to_the ... g_an_image

There are tools for doing all of this but a camera with an SD slot is by far the easiest. ;)
On a similar topic, brief background: I have one card which can't be read by my Windows fixed card reader/writer. It's OK in the Pi and my Ubuntu box. The Windows machine can read it through a USB reader. The fixed reader can read other cards.

Is there anything that a camera can do in the way of formatting that a Linux machine with gparted can't? I'd quite like to make that card readable again in all machine/device combos.

(I have lots of cameras ranging form a 1934 Voigtlander to a 1982 Canon and take the view that if a picture isn't on Tri-X and developed by me in D-76, then it's not a proper photograph. I think some of my friends might have one of those new-fangled toy cameras though!)

zcat

Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:35 am

Just plug the card back into whatever machine you're using, wait a few seconds, then run the original command that you should have run.

You should not need to format or prepare the card in any way. Don't worry that the computer isn't opening any folders or whatever, that doesn't matter. You're not writing folders, you're dumping a raw binary image directly to the raw flash media.

Binson

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:44 am

Hi All !

If all else fails you can try this[url]https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3//url], only windoze and mac though .

Cheers .

Binson
=

for NickT : my preferred recipe used to be TRI-X at ASA 320, Microdol-X 1+3 24 °C 18 min inverting 30 sec then 10 every min . Much sharper and finer grained than D76 . But them idiots killed Microdol-X did'nd they, now where's them feathers an that barrel of tar ...

Return to “Troubleshooting”