Valgoku

Pi zero login page

Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:34 pm

Hello,

I've installed Raspbian, etc, boot for the first time, everything went well.
Then, I rebooted, and arrived on the login page (GUI).
User : pi
Pwd : raspberry

THEN -> black screen which let you thing it's loading, annnnd.... login page again...
Solution I found : Ctrl + Alt + F2 -> login -> sudo startx....
But this sucks...
Could someone tell me why and how to resolve this ? (conf somewhere ?)

cat /proc/version

Linux version 4.1.13+ (dc4@dc4-XPS13-9333) (gcc version 4.8.3 20140303 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG linaro-1.13.1+bzr2650 - Linaro GCC 2014.03) ) #826 PREEMPT Fri Nov 13 20:13:22 GMT 2015

Thank you and sorry for this basic question.

rpdom

Re: Pi zero login page

Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:49 am

That's an old kernel, it predates the zero, so may not have full support for it.

I'd try a new download.

Valgoku

Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:21 pm

Hello,

Thanks rpdom, I've updated and upgraded my pi via commands:

aptitude update
aptitude upgrade

And here is the new version:

cat /proc/version

Linux version 4.4.13+ (dc4@dc4-XPS13-9333) (gcc version 4.9.3 (crosstool-NG crosstool-ng-1.22.0-88-g8460611) ) #894 Mon Jun 13 12:43:26 BST 2016

I guess my compiler has been updated, but the kernel seems to be the same right ?
Linux version 4.4.13+, is is the kernel's version ?
Is it possible for you to explain me what this line mean please ? (the return of cat /proc/version).
In conclusion, aptitude does not seem to be the kernel version updater/upgrader, but more the packages (including gcc, which is in the kernel (isn' it?))

So, I rebooted, tried to connect via the GUI, and same problem..
Do you have any idea ?

Just to let you know, I used to use apt instead of aptitude, and from what I've read online, apt seems to be less complete and more painfull when a problem occurs.
Could you tell me the differences too please ? (I'll keep on getting documentation too)

Thanks.

asandford

Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:32 pm

Valgoku wrote: Just to let you know, I used to use apt instead of aptitude, and from what I've read online, apt seems to be less complete and more painfull when a problem occurs.
Could you tell me the differences too please ? (I'll keep on getting documentation too)

Thanks.
aptitude is a frontend for apt, so I don't see how it could be 'more complete', more user friendly perhaps.

Valgoku

Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:40 pm

Hello Asandford,

To be honest, I haven't read many things about it. When I understood it was not about the kernel version, I decided to read that late. That was the only thing I read on 1 website.
So, maybe, maybe not.

But I found the command line to update my kernel :)

apt-get install -y rpi-update (on my case, it was already installed and updated)
Then : /usr/bin/rpi-update

Linux version 4.4.20+ (dc4@dc4-XPS13-9333) (gcc version 4.9.3 (crosstool-NG crosstool-ng-1.22.0-88-g8460611) ) #908 Wed Sep 7 14:35:04 BST 2016

SOOO, this time I think my kernel has been updated !! :)
When I check the latest version on : https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
It is Kernel version 4.4..
I think it's the latest one I have !

One problem solved.

Second problem still not solved.. Anyone ?

asandford

Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:52 pm

Valgoku wrote:Hello Asandford,

To be honest, I haven't read many things about it. When I understood it was not about the kernel version, I decided to read that late. That was the only thing I read on 1 website.
So, maybe, maybe not.

But I found the command line to update my kernel :)

apt-get install -y rpi-update (on my case, it was already installed and updated)

Linux version 4.4.20+ (dc4@dc4-XPS13-9333) (gcc version 4.9.3 (crosstool-NG crosstool-ng-1.22.0-88-g8460611) ) #908 Wed Sep 7 14:35:04 BST 2016

SOOO, this time I think my kernel has been updated !! :)
When I check the latest version on : https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
It is Kernel version 4.4..
I think it's the latest one I have !

One problem solved.

Second problem still not solved.. Anyone ?
Not quite.
To update the system to the latest stable version of kernel / firmware / software, all you need is:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
The 'usual' way to report system version is:

Code: Select all

uname -a

FlexibleSigmoid

Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:55 am

sudo startx....
That will take ownership of certain files necessary for proper operation of X, so "Don't Do That (TM)".

You need to search and find why using `sudo` is a bad idea for `startx` and you'll find your answers as to why you are getting flipped back to login.

This looks like it may have some helpful steps to try to remedy your issue. But the lesson to learn is to not use sudo to force things if they don't work, this is Very Bad Form for someone who's just learning Linux, akin to using a sledgehammer to drive a nail into a block of wood.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/593659/i ... as-a-guest

Valgoku

Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:32 am

Hello FlexibleSigmoid,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the link :) :) :)

It works !

In case, here is a copy/paste of the answer (method 1 worked for me)
Method 1 - Try this first!

Go to a TTY terminal [I think that's what they're called] and press Ctrl + Alt + F1

Login with your username and password, and type sudo chown YOURUSERNAME:YOURUSERNAME ~/.Xauthority followed by enter. Then type in your password again and press enter.

Now go back to the main X server Ctrl + Alt + F7 [or reboot] and try login to your account now. It should get you to the desktop.

Method 2

Go to a TTY terminal [I think that's what they're called] and press Ctrl + Alt + F1

Login with your username and password, and type sudo rm ~/.Xauthority followed by enter. Enter your password again and press enter.

Now go back to the main X server Ctrl + Alt + F7 [or reboot] and try login to your account now. It should get you to the desktop.

Other info

When you mentioned GRUB, to access it [for example for entering recovery mode] press and hold the Shift key on boot until GRUB appears. If you press at the Ubuntu logo, you were too late. Press and hold at the PC vendor screen.

If you tried to run sudo rm ~/.Xauthority as guest, the ~ bit indicates the user home folder, in which in guest was the guest /tmp folder, not your user directory in /home.
Just to be sure, is that right :

chwon allows to change owner of files.
So appying : chown pi:pi ~/.Xauthority gives rights to user pi, groupname pi to file .Xauthority.

The thing is, why user pi who was in the group pi (by default right ?) didn't have access (by default) to the GUI ?
I didn't change anything in the conf.. Is it to secure the GUI access ?

DougieLawson

Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:46 am

Valgoku wrote:apt-get install -y rpi-update (on my case, it was already installed and updated)
Don't ever do that again. sudo rpi-update can break your system, it installs the latest experimental kernel and bootcode. Without knowing the things it updates, without having a good backup and without knowing how to recover your system then running rpi-update risks making your system completely unbootable.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Troubleshooting”