Shaftspanner

cifs filesystem not supported by the system

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:01 pm

I'm trying to set up a brand new RPi3 the same way I've already set up a RPi2b.

The RPi3 has been setup with Raspbian Jessie (using NOOBS), then updated using apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade

On the RPi2b, I have mapped a shared drive on a local Ubuntu server using cifs. This is mounted at boot via /etc/fstab and works flawlessly.

When I copied the relevant line into /etc/fstab on the RPi3, and run mount -a, I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
mount error(19): No such device
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
/etc/fstab:

proc            /proc           proc    defaults          0       0
#/dev/mmcblk0p6  /boot           vfat    defaults          0       2
/dev/mmcblk0p7  /               ext4    defaults,noatime  0       1
# a swapfile is not a swap partition, no line here
#   use  dphys-swapfile swap[on|off]  for that
/dev/sda1 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
//192.168.1.202/storage /mnt/lisa cifs credentials=/home/pi/.smbcredentials,noexec 0 0
.smbcredentials also mirrors the file on the RPi2.

Any help gratefully received.

DougieLawson

Re: cifs filesystem not supported by the system

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:19 pm

Share the drive on your RPI2 using NFS and you'll find things work a lot easier. NFS is the linux way. CIFS is the Windows way and linux just about tolerates it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

NFS is easy once you've done the exports on the server system. Stuff can go in /etc/fstab on the client to automagically mount an NFS share.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Shaftspanner

Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:50 am

Thanks Dougie,

That worked a treat. Just need to switch all the other clients over to nfs now!

mc007ibi

Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:15 pm

Same here! Can't mount a simple windows share. I search the internet and tried all what was recommended. Output when mounting:

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.37/PMaster /PMaster -o user=mc007

mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
mount error(19): No such device

scruss

Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:29 pm

You are running kind of an old system; uname on my 3B returns a date in September 2016. Try sudo apt update, then sudo apt -y dist-upgrade. You will likely need to reboot to get a new kernel.

Does the folder (copied from the other post) /PMaster exist? Can user mc007 write to it?

What error messages are included in dmesg output? The cifs module will only be loaded on a successful network filesystem mounting. I've just managed to successfully connect to a network share with this link in my /etc/fstab:

//diskstation/music    /mnt/music    cifs    credentials=/etc/samba/diskstation.cred,rw,noperm,iocharset=utf8,user,noauto,vers=3.0  0       0
and could issue mount /mnt/music without sudo.

Some network shares are more picky. I have a network scanner with storage that will only mount with the options username=guest,password=foo,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm,noserverino,users,rw.

(updated 2017-07 with new, seemingly required, vers=3.0 option.)
Last edited by scruss on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

mc007ibi

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:21 am

Hi,
thanks for the heads up!

After digging I found the real problem: I was booting from a USB drive via cmdline.text:root=/dev/sda2 option. In my case there was another kernel in place but the modules were not present in /lib/modules/4.xxx. So I copied those modules over and all works now. That also solved a bunch of other problems for me (missing entries in /dev/....)

WinMac32

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:02 pm

mc007ibi wrote:Hi,
thanks for the heads up!

After digging I found the real problem: I was booting from a USB drive via cmdline.text:root=/dev/sda2 option. In my case there was another kernel in place but the modules were not present in /lib/modules/4.xxx. So I copied those modules over and all works now. That also solved a bunch of other problems for me (missing entries in /dev/....)
Can you expand on this? I'm in the exact same situation. I'm booting from a USB with kernel 4.4.9, but there are no modules present for kernel 4.4.9 in /lib/modules. Thus, modprobe cifs returns "could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.4.9+/modules.dep.bin'".

Where can I get these modules from?

Thanks.

WinMac32

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:40 am

Sorry, nevermind.

I've switched from pipaos to raspbian and things are working better.

Might have also had something to do with the SD card perhaps disconnecting (seems the connection is finicky; I have to put pressure on it for good contact) while the kernel was updating.

In any case, a clean install worked for me.

Return to “Troubleshooting”