typxxi

[SOLVED] Pi ZERO 1.3 + NOOBS 1.9 Raspbian only?

Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:30 pm

Hello,

I previously used NOOBs with a Pi 2 and a Pi 3. It was fine for the beginning. While booting I got the chance to select between different OS. like raspbian, openelec and others. After that selection the Pi 2 / 3 bootet fine and the 65 inch LG TV display was perfectly used - no action needed.

Now things seems to have changed completely - but without changing the documentation:

Yesterday I started to work with a Pi Zero 1.3 and I made the download of NOOBS 1.9.2 on my Laptop and extracet all files. Then I copied the whole directory to a new and formated 8 GB SD Card

Then I put that SD Card into the Pi Zero 1.3, connected hdmi, usb and finally power. The Zero booted but the display was ugly due to a very low resolution - on a 65 inch TV (quad HD). The Pi Zero NOOBs did NOT start like previously the Pi 2 and Pi 3 did regarding display resolution and also OS choice for selection.

After that I had only one single choice: raspbian
There was no openelec, no risc OS or ... just raspbian only

I thought I had chosen the wrong download or I had an extraction problem after I had realized that "\OS" folder contains only raspbian - nothing else

So I went back to the documentations like here https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/
I hoped to find a new description or background information but no word about removing of other OS and changing display resolution.

What has happened with noobs - or is it just a mistake?

Why didn't they change the documentation?
A new user would not understand all these changes without a single line of comment.

Where do I get an old one of NOOBS?

For what do I need NOOBS if I only get raspbian that I can install propably faster with no NOOBS roundabout?

Is that change the cause for my problems with the initial display resolution?
Where can I change that in NOOBs and Raspbian?

I still used the same big TV Screen that I used for my Pi 2 and my Pi 3 and that has worked from the beginning for my first steps.

Any ideas?

Thx a lot

Wolf
Last edited by typxxi on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
WOLF

fruitoftheloom

Re: Pi ZERO 1.3 + NOOBS 1.9.2: Raspbian only? Low resolution

Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:54 pm

typxxi wrote:Hello,

I previously used NOOBs with a Pi 2 and a Pi 3. It was fine for the beginning. While booting I got the chance to select between different OS. like raspbian, openelec and others. After that selection the Pi 2 / 3 bootet fine and the 65 inch LG TV display was perfectly used - no action needed.

Now things seems to have changed completely - but without changing the documentation:

Yesterday I started to work with a Pi Zero 1.3 and I made the download of NOOBS 1.9.2 on my Laptop and extracet all files. Then I copied the whole directory to a new and formated 8 GB SD Card

Then I put that SD Card into the Pi Zero 1.3, connected hdmi, usb and finally power. The Zero booted but the display was ugly due to a very low resolution - on a 65 inch TV (quad HD). The Pi Zero NOOBs did NOT start like previously the Pi 2 and Pi 3 did regarding display resolution and also OS choice for selection.

After that I had only one single choice: raspbian
There was no openelec, no risc OS or ... just raspbian only

I thought I had chosen the wrong download or I had an extraction problem after I had realized that "\OS" folder contains only raspbian - nothing else

So I went back to the documentations like here https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/
I hoped to find a new description or background information but no word about removing of other OS and changing display resolution.

What has happened with noobs - or is it just a mistake?

Why didn't they change the documentation?
A new user would not understand all these changes without a single line of comment.

Where do I get an old one of NOOBS?

For what do I need NOOBS if I only get raspbian that I can install propably faster with no NOOBS roundabout?

Is that change the cause for my problems with the initial display resolution?
Where can I change that in NOOBs and Raspbian?

I still used the same big TV Screen that I used for my Pi 2 and my Pi 3 and that has worked from the beginning for my first steps.

Any ideas?

Thx a lot

Wolf
You need an active internet connection to be offered additional OS choices, it has been that way for about a year:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/bl ... /README.md
Retired disgracefully.....

procount

Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:23 pm

Hmm.. not so easy to get an active internet connection with a PiZero with Noobs.

Look out for an update to PINN 1.9.4 for a solution soon...
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

typxxi

Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:37 pm

@fruitoftheloom

Ok, that explains why my previous installations (pi 2 and pi 3) took so much time - due to the openelec download. I did not recognize then that openelec was a download because I had thought that openelec would have been part of the NOOBs installation and that the installation had been so slow.

The previous problem of the zero with the extremly low resolution has disappeared after the first reboot. Another problem is somehow still strange because that zero did not work on my other, 26 inch smaller hdmi monitor. The zero does work with the huge LGscreen, but if I move the zero incl. ALL cables to the 26 inch monitor the display stays black, regardless if i put it in hdmi in 1 , 2 or 3!
BUT: If I use my HDMi Laptop cable for the zero then that 26" monitor works fine, but not with the other cable that works on the LG big screen.
Strange or somehow unbelieveable because the specifications of the vendor were the same and they are new cables from 2016. The only difference is the length - the LG one is 2 m, the other 1.5 meter.

BUT one major problem is still there and currently unsolved or beyond my current skills:

I use a pi zero 1.3 and a 3x USB Hub with an integrated ethernet connection. That has a red led which to indicate that a network cable is connected.

If I put a fresh noobs sd into the zero it boots but unfortunatelly the noobs OS selector offers only RASPBIAN and no other OS - but the RJ45 port is working because if I install raspbian then it works with no further interaction after the first boot.

What do I have to do let the noobs work with that usb hub network ?

If I put a USB WiFi dongle into that HUB and if I configure that wifi Dongle in the NOOBs OS selection screen then the other OS will be shown - but no over the RJ45 cable network adapter.

Do I have to add something in the config.txt file?

Thx a lot

Wolf
WOLF

procount

Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:04 pm

@wolf - as I hinted at above, Noobs only includes drivers for the inbuilt ethernet driver on the other RPis (not present on PiZero) and the broadcom wifi dongles. So it's a bit difficult to get an internet connection with it.

My next version of PINN will include some more wifi and ethernet drivers so hopefully you will be able to use that instead. If your 3xusb hub+rj45 device is like mine then it will probably work. Look out for my next release.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

typxxi

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:42 pm

procount wrote:My next version of PINN will include some more wifi and ethernet drivers so hopefully you will be able to use that instead. If your 3xusb hub+rj45 device is like mine then it will probably work. Look out for my next release.
Can't wait to see it.
When do you expect that release?
A question of days , weeks or more?
Thx
WOLF

procount

Re: [SOLVED] Pi ZERO 1.3 + NOOBS 1.9 Raspbian only?

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:08 pm

Days. Just got to tidy the build and do some more testing. If you would like a beta version to test just DM me and I'll prepare a download link.

typxxi

Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:15 am

procount wrote:Days. Just got to tidy the build and do some more testing. If you would like a beta version to test just DM me and I'll prepare a download link.
Thanks to PROCOUNT I can asure that his PiNN 1.9.4 did the job quite good.

My RJ45 Network 3x USB Hub is supported while PINN boots.

Raspbian WiFi Dongle is supported , also the broadcom triangular USB WiFi Hub

I also checked the "CLONE" (my SD Card) function from the recovery mode. Works great and for some of you it might be interesting that it is not running under the full raspbian.

If you forget your password - that of cause never can happen to me and you ;) - then pinn also offers a password reset from the recovery mode.

Currently no bugs detected. : :mrgreen:

He implements new features or suggestions quite fast and communicates perfectly if you face any problems even beyond pinn.

He even fixed my hdmi desaster (not any clue before his support ;) ) and that was a tricky one, because that zero worked fine, when it was that ZERO, where the SD Card system had been created.
The same SD card and all the same adaptor and even same screen did not work quite well with any other ZERO 1.3 (same firmware) regarding resolution:

Everytime I got 640 x 480 while the monitor supported 1080p 50 and 60Hz mode. config.txt with its HDMi_Group=0 did not work for me. I had to set that I wanted TV Mode by HDMI_Group=1 and I had to set the HDMI_MODE=39 or so manually - took a while to find out, what is at least necessary and does work, but he helped me with his expertise the whole time until I could fix it.

I will try further pinn functions within the next week - at least I hope so ;) .

Thanks a lot, KEVIN :mrgreen: :idea:
WOLF

stevedafer

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:03 pm

I know that this is an old thread... But I wanted you to know that I have created a tool that restore the "Full Fat Noobs" where you can install OS without an active internet connection.

The tool can be found here:
https://github.com/mdafer/rpi-full-fat-noobs

Return to “Troubleshooting”