DavidMS

New SD card copier - has anyone got it to work ? - SOLVED

Sat May 21, 2016 11:26 am

I would be interested to know if anyone has got this to work ?

I have been struggling with it today on a PiZero with a clean Rasbian image updated this morning. With the first attempt apparently there was no enough room on my SD card [ is was just the same size 8G as the main one]. Then the second time it just seemed to hang and when I clicked on cancel it partially locked up the Pi refusing to let me open a new terminal window to cleanly shut the Pi down - even if I went in through SSH.

It would be great to hear some positive experiences then maybe I can figure out what I am doing wrong....

*** The issue seems to be that I was trying to make a copy from an updated rather than fresh image ***
Last edited by DavidMS on Sat May 21, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://meanderingpi.wordpress.com/
11 Raspberry Pi's and counting....

gordon77

Re: New SD card copier - has anyone got it to work ?

Sat May 21, 2016 11:29 am

Yes, works fine for me.

I've copied 16GB to 16GB, and 16GB to 32GB, not on the zero yet though.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 21, 2016 11:32 am

no two "same size" cards actually have the same capacity, all sd cards have many defective sectors, some more some less, which are automatically discarded. if your new card has less useable capacity than the old one, it cannot fully contain the old card.

gordon77

Sat May 21, 2016 11:39 am

Does that mean your original card is 'full' or the new card 'low' capacity?

This is from the blog and even mentions copying to smaller cards...

"The program does not restrict you to only copying to a card the same size as the source; you can copy to a larger card if you are running out of space on your existing one, or even to a smaller card (as long as it has enough space to store all your files – the program will warn you if there isn’t enough space). It has been designed to work with Raspbian and NOOBS images"

I've have just copied a 32GB, just with the new raspbian (file system expanded) and a few python scripts giving around 4.5GB, to a 8GB card.

DavidMS

Sat May 21, 2016 3:52 pm

I think I have solved the problem, the micro Sd I was trying to copy FROM was not a clean version it was updated image with dist-update. I have just tried again with new image and it seems to be working now.

Thanks for the responses
http://meanderingpi.wordpress.com/
11 Raspberry Pi's and counting....

Return to “Troubleshooting”