blaablaaguy

I accidentally my command prompt!

Wed May 11, 2016 2:38 pm

Foolishly, i set my pi to boot at the command line instead of the gui. Upon rebooting i dont get a command promt any more, just a terminal with a flashing cursor thingy and when i type and enter a command nothing happens. :( Im using berryboot and because of that i can acess config.txt and cmndline.txt.
Last edited by blaablaaguy on Thu May 12, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
This signature intentionally left blank.

blaablaaguy

Re: What happened to my command prompt?

Wed May 11, 2016 6:14 pm

Bumpity bump.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed May 11, 2016 11:34 pm

OP - a bump after only four hours is a bit much. Please try to kerb your enthusiasm!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

kusti8

Thu May 12, 2016 12:38 am

Sounds like you may have run out of space. Can you check from BerryBoot or a Linux computer?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

tweak42

Thu May 12, 2016 4:05 am

blaablaaguy wrote:Foolishly, i set my pi to boot at the command line instead of the gui. Upon rebooting i dont get a command promt any more, just a terminal with a flashing cursor thingy and when i type and enter a command nothing happens. :( Im using berryboot and because of that i can acess config.txt and cmndline.txt.
Just a wild guess, but can you try changing tty terminals? You do this with key sequence:
Ctrl-Alt-F1 through F6. F7 should be the GUI but could end up with the blinking cursor you're describing (because you disabled the GUI).

blaablaaguy

Thu May 12, 2016 9:54 am

tweak42 wrote:
blaablaaguy wrote:Foolishly, i set my pi to boot at the command line instead of the gui. Upon rebooting i dont get a command promt any more, just a terminal with a flashing cursor thingy and when i type and enter a command nothing happens. :( Im using berryboot and because of that i can acess config.txt and cmndline.txt.
Just a wild guess, but can you try changing tty terminals? You do this with key sequence:
Ctrl-Alt-F1 through F6. F7 should be the GUI but could end up with the blinking cursor you're describing (because you disabled the GUI).
Tried that allready. All are empty exept for f1 and f2. F1 displays a bit text, i think its like the top bit of the stuff that normally comes when i boot. F2 shows " [ OK ] Created slice system-getty.slice."
kusti8 wrote:Sounds like you may have run out of space. Can you check from BerryBoot or a Linux computer?
Ive got about a gigabyte left.

blaablaaguy

Thu May 12, 2016 9:57 am

tweak42 wrote:
I can access the berryboot console but dont know the username and password. The default pi details dont work. Tried changing terminals and have a gigabyte space left.

blaablaaguy

Thu May 12, 2016 11:07 am

liz wrote:OP - a bump after only four hours is a bit much. Please try to kerb your enthusiasm!
:oops: Sorry, i have yet to master the art of patience

blaablaaguy

Re: I accidentally my command prompt!

Thu May 12, 2016 11:18 am

I might just reinstall my os. Ive got most of my python scripts backed up.

tweak42

Re: I accidentally my command prompt!

Thu May 12, 2016 11:57 pm

blaablaaguy wrote:I might just reinstall my os. Ive got most of my python scripts backed up.
Do you have another micro SD card? You could do a clean install and import your old stuff into it. If you are using windows you can use a ext4 reader program to recover your stuff off the data partition.
http://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways- ... m-windows/

Return to “Troubleshooting”