chiuchimu

Is Pi3 sdcard slot different than Pi2?

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:02 pm

On my old Pi2, the sdcard had an ejecting mechanism:
to lock card in, push card all the way in and let go. it would back out a little then lock in place.
to remove card, push the card in all the way and a spring would eject the card out enough for your fingers to grab.

My new pi3 doesn't have this ejecting mechanism. It seems a simpe slot that is holding the card in place by friction. Are all Pi3 built this way or did I get a defective one?

DirkS

Re: Is Pi3 sdcard slot different than Pi2?

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:57 pm

chiuchimu wrote:Are all Pi3 built this way
Yes. And the Pi Zero has it too.

Major Tom

Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:18 am

I noticed it too, and I really don't like it. It's okay for the Pi Zero, but not for the Pi 3.
My circuit's dead, there's something wrong.

phelum

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:05 pm

Hi,
The new simple slot is meant to be more reliable. I don't like it either but apparently there is a good reason for it.

Cheers,
Steven

Major Tom

Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:28 am

Ok, I read the thread. So "a lot" of people complained. How many is that? 200? 300? 1000? With several million Pis sold with the click-in, click-out slot how many million people were happy with that design?

I expect it is nothing more than cost-cutting. I don't have a problem with that, but I'd rather it was stated as such instead of trotting out some lame ex post facto justification.
My circuit's dead, there's something wrong.

rpdom

Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:32 am

Major Tom wrote:Ok, I read the thread. So "a lot" of people complained. How many is that? 200? 300? 1000? With several million Pis sold with the click-in, click-out slot how many million people were happy with that design?

I expect it is nothing more than cost-cutting. I don't have a problem with that, but I'd rather it was stated as such instead of trotting out some lame ex post facto justification.
I think the numbers were high enough to cause concern. I've found the "click" slots to be prone to damage with just a slight bit of pressure in the wrong place. The friction fit sockets are a much better solution.

Ideal numbers is no complaints. 1000, 300 or even 200 is sufficient cause for concern for the RPF and the high standards of quality control that the Pi is built to. Profit margins are shaved to the minimum possible. Anything that eats into those is not acceptable.

I think they made the right choice.

DougieLawson

Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:20 pm

Having ejected the sdcard from my B+ and my 2B too many times (usually while pulling a USB device out) I think the switch to friction fit SDCards for the zero and the 3B is a very welcome move.

It's incredibly annoying when you have to reboot for something stupid like that. Linux does not survive an eject and insert operation on it's root filesystem.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

mikerr

Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:27 pm

With many close fitting cases it's hard to get enough grip to change the sd cards now they aren't spring loaded.
What I've done is put a small tape "tag" on the SD card so it can be pulled out....
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

asandford

Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:33 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Having ejected the sdcard from my B+ and my 2B too many times (usually while pulling a USB device out) I think the switch to friction fit SDCards for the zero and the 3B is a very welcome move.

It's incredibly annoying when you have to reboot for something stupid like that. Linux does not survive an eject and insert operation on it's root filesystem.
This is one of the reasons that most of my 24x7 Pis only boot from the card and run root from either local hdd or iscsi, and I'm hoping that the net boot becomes reality (rather than vapourware) soon.

hippy

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:58 am

IMO the best designed solution would have a spring loaded socket and a case which sets the card edge flush with the case's outside when inserted.

That would mitigate against accidentally pushing the card and ejecting it inadvertently, would stop people pulling it out and breaking the socket, while allowing it to pop-out and be removed when intended.

There is scope for indenting to make it easier to eject the card while protecting against accidental ejection and that works well for cameras and devices I have which are designed that way. I would say that if a case allows accidental ejection then it has not been designed to avoid that; blame the case, not the socket.

rpdom

Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:12 pm

hippy wrote:IMO the best designed solution would have a spring loaded socket and a case which sets the card edge flush with the case's outside when inserted.
Case? Who uses a case?

DougieLawson

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:21 pm

rpdom wrote:
hippy wrote:IMO the best designed solution would have a spring loaded socket and a case which sets the card edge flush with the case's outside when inserted.
Case? Who uses a case?
Out of ten RPis only two of mine have a case. One old model B came with a case from the folks who gave it to me. My B+ has a space frame case so that I can stand it on edge to save desktop room. I have a couple of spare model B cases.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

MarkHaysHarris777

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:29 pm

rpdom wrote:
Case? Who uses a case?
All of my PIs are cased, as are most of my Arduinos.

As for the push-pull slot of the PI 3B-- whoohoo... and much needed and welcome change; thank you!

The push-push slot of the 2B is (in my experience) problematic; there is too much slop in the slot (so to speak) and the eject spring somehow works against the contact points (in some rare situations) which keeps the PI from booting (except the popping it out and in usually fixes it after four or five attempts). That problem is gone from the 3B... at least on the two I have running at the moment.

Thanks again!
marcus
:ugeek:

electronicsguy

Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:37 pm

rpdom wrote:
Case? Who uses a case?
Lots of people. That's why they sell.
blog: https://electronicsguy.wordpress.com
github: https://github.com/electronicsguy

Return to “Troubleshooting”