Duhjoker

DIY USB Splitter For Pi Zero

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:40 am

I'm building a multi-media Pi for Arduino and gaming with some music using a 4 inch LCD and a PI Zero. Im using a powerboost500 and a 4000mah battery to power it.

Any way I need to make a USB splitter that can be installed in my case for mouse, controller, and ETC. I couldn't find a proper 3-way that would fit in the configuration I need so I bought a 4 hub thinking I could hack the fourth USB but afterward the main light would come on but no juice or data transfer.

At this point I decided to straight wire each USB on the PDB to a single wire after watching a few videos. I used the same piece of USB cable for each mount making sure each pad had the right color wire connected to it. I then spliced these three wire bunches together color for color and added the Male end to it.

I tested it by connecting it to my computer and all the lights came on for each USB showing they had power to which I double checked using my V meter. And then connected my charging system to make sure a third time.

Now my problem is no data transmission as far as I can tell. I plugged my mouse dongle into each port and I can't get it to move the mouse. The wifi dongle doesn't seem to be working either.

Could it be something with the ground? I noticed when I took it apart to begin with that both grounds coming from its cable were both soldered to the USB port module.

Any clues?

TonyD

Re: DIY USB Splitter For Pi Zero

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:59 pm

Here's how I made my own USB hub:

https://zuzebox.wordpress.com/2015/12/0 ... y-pi-zero/

hope it helps.
Tony

Duhjoker

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:57 pm

Hers a couple pics of my hub after straight wiring each USB hub.

Like i said it gets power but wont let my mouse work.

Duhjoker

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:25 pm

I soldered the one i cut off and tried that too.

Duhjoker

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:20 am

I think i figured this out. I took my single and exchanged the green and yellow wire and it now works. Its weird cause i tried switching the wires in the full piece and no go.

Maybe it has something to do with the traces. I think i might have to cut the other two off and do the same thing before wiring them together.

Duhjoker

Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:27 am

Ok went ahead tested the other three on the bar again with the wires switched and nithing but power so i cut them all off to have 4 individual ports. I only need three so i have a spare.

When i got done i thought about those led's draining power and decided to cut them off too. So i went ahead and ground em all down so they look better.

Ill have to hot glue then in the case but thats not s big deal.

klricks

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:15 am

I am not following what you are trying to do?
It appears that you are attempting to parallel (direct connect) 3 ports together into one? If that's your idea then that is not going to work. Power lines OK but not data. You must use a HUB controller chip to manage the data lines etc.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Duhjoker

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:39 am

All right so how can a make what i need?

I need 3 ports.

gregeric

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:46 am

Rather than trying to fit a hub into your Zero's case, try fitting a Zero inside a hub.

Duhjoker

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:51 am

That kinda defeats my build. I'm trying to fit everything I need into one case. Including my LCD, the battery and charger. I can do this but I need to able to make or buy a hub that will do the job but can also fit the way I need.

gregeric

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:00 am

If you can find one, the Broadcom Y-shaped 2 port hub plus WiFi is pretty compact:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=127633

Might that fit inside your case?

Duhjoker

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:08 am

Not really. The ports need to be able to gotten to with out opening the case up every time.

Heres a pic of my case,the space on the right is 27w X 20H X 70L mm.

The pieces can be removed they are just for aesthetic purposes to make the female hubs look better.

gregeric

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:26 am

You could mount the Y-shaped hub in one corner, one USB-A socket poking out on each side (shame they're not at right angles to each other, but they're not too far off). You could always desolder one of them & locate it at your preferred position.

Return to “Troubleshooting”