MeisterKN
Location: 2 centimeters from a place I have never been to before

LEDs

Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:33 am

I have no HDMI monitor, nor am I prepared to use network way of getting a screen.

So, my Raspberry Pi 2 is new and has anew original charger. When I connect it to power, the red and the green LEDs light up,and also the small LED on the camera lights up. (Nothing else is connected to the device). This lasts for about a minute and then, all three LEDs turn off and it seems nothing is working.

This happens all the time I connect it to power outlet.

Is this normal, like, there is no activity, so it turns off (but it turns off so quickly: after one minute).

If it is not normal, what could the problem be?

Thanks for your answers!!!
heIL heiMaT

scotty101

Re: LEDs

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:39 am

Its going to be difficult to diagnose without some error messages or the output of dmesg.

Sounds like the Pi is booting but something is causing a problem later in the boot process.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

rpdom

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:45 am

Disconnect the camera and try again. The camera takes quite a lot of power.

Without a screen of some sort it will be almost impossible to diagnose the problem.

Have you read the "Not booting/no video" sticky? That covers what to look for in the LEDs. (Steady Red, flickering Green).

Have you got an appropriate OS installed on your SD card?

The red PWR LED going out is a sign of a problem with power. That's why I suggest trying the Pi without the camera.

brekee12

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:46 am

At first look, seems your power supply does not have enough power. After a short periode the short detection electronic switch the power down because of over duty. After the LEDs switch off, check the power supply voltages on the header 5V. It gives the answer for this possibilities.
Brekee12
on a Raspberry B+ with whezzy, two Zero with Jessie Light

MeisterKN

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:57 am

I have SuSE Pi OS installed. If you guys think it may have bugs I will install regular software and "blind" check if the problem is gone.
heIL heiMaT

MeisterKN

Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:19 am

I re-formatted the SD card, installed NOOBS. Still the same. Can one of you just plug in Raspberry Pi B without any mouse, keyboard or monitor, just the SD card inside and watch how long the LEDS remain. If they turn off after a minute, it means it is just an issue with peripherals.
heIL heiMaT

klricks

Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:38 am

MeisterKN wrote:I re-formatted the SD card, installed NOOBS. Still the same. Can one of you just plug in Raspberry Pi B without any mouse, keyboard or monitor, just the SD card inside and watch how long the LEDS remain. If they turn off after a minute, it means it is just an issue with peripherals.
No... If the red power light goes off then there is a problem with the power supply and/or micro USB cable or excessive current draw due to a fault on the RPi.
Try a different power supply and mircro USB power cable and let us know what happened.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

asandford

Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:02 am

MeisterKN wrote:I have no HDMI monitor, nor am I prepared to use network way of getting a screen.
Thanks for your answers!!!
There are three ways of getting any initial interaction with the login process(AFAIA):
- attached keyboard & monitor
- network access with ssh
- serial access on the GPIO pins.

As you've discounted* the first and second options, have you tried the third?

How did you envisage interacting with the Pi without any mechanism for input or output?

*regard (a possibility or fact) as being unworthy of consideration because it lacks credibility.

MeisterKN

Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:44 am

@ assandford

I know what "discounted" means. Even though it may refer to a discounted item in a shop...

I plan to buy a monitor with a HDMI connector/connection. However, waiting for these to become cheaper. Where I live the cheapest is around 170 EURO. When the cheapest, say, Acer screen, is around 75 EURO, I will buy, depending whether this problem with my Raspberry Pi is resolved. I have a HDMI cable. I read through the way of obtaining a screen from your lap-top through a network. It is just so messy and pointless as I need my lap-top.
I purchased two small monitors from adafruit - the first required welding and in the end, it did not work. The second was some car monitor with two old, TV (you know - yellow and red) plugs. This one was dead on arrival.

Immagine how frustrated I am now that the LEDS turn off. Can someone try my request from my second last post.
heIL heiMaT

MeisterKN

Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:35 am

The charger is ORIGINAL all with the green light. Please do the test I suggested. It won't cost you 5 minute time.
heIL heiMaT

rpdom

Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:14 am

MeisterKN wrote:The charger is ORIGINAL all with the green light. Please do the test I suggested. It won't cost you 5 minute time.
We've told you that if the Red PWR LED goes out it normally means the voltage reaching the Pi has dropped too low (below 4.68V, I believe). It can be turned off via software, but the normal installations don't do that.

There is no point in us doing your test. I have many Pis. Most of them run without keyboard, monitor or mouse. Just SD card, network cable or WiFi and power. The Red LED is always on on all of them, except for one where I have forced it off via software control.

MeisterKN

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:00 pm

Just to add my latest thoughts...
Tried with my NOKIA charger (output: 5.25 V). The problem remains unresolved. The red light turns off, most likely always at the same time - after minute, or minute and a half.

In conclusion, summed up from last few comments, the problem with the board is only withdrawing more energy from an European standard, 220 V outlet, would it possibly still be solved by a BIOS (CMOS) software update, and how is this done since you cannot get into screen (assuming I have a screen).

NOTE:
When welding with my first monitor, this problem did not exist. I can guarantee the Pi was in perfect order for 90% of time during welding and playing around with it, and not for last attempts, when I devoted no attention to LEDs (10% of time leading up to noticing the red LED turns off in such manner). The second monitor could have not caused the problem, I believe, and most likely was "kaput" on arrival.

Second, if the overconsumption of power stemming from the board is caused by a hardware problem, what would the solution be here - the only condensator being next to power plug of the board (maybe replace it???!!! (*__*) :( ,).

P.S.
I still haven't tried with a different SD card. Also, I have noticed that when it slides into place, the lower "power polarity" silver looking tiny metal spring (out of two) is touching the other (top) spring not smoothly, all the way through, but only by a small part of the lower spring, it being in a zig-zag state and pushed up by half of its width. The board must have been unpacked in this state. Otherwise I see no short-cuts, no rust, or any faulty hardware components (including the condensator - me assuming it has most to do with power voltage - (the "grain tank" looking round silver object with black part on top, located next to (in front of) power source cable connector).

P.S. II
The board also heats up kind of heavily within 15-30 seconds of hooking up with power (assumption: normal mode of operation at beginning).
heIL heiMaT

MeisterKN

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:13 pm

Furthermore..., where exactly on the board do You place the red and where the black nodes of the multimeter when measuring power consumption?
heIL heiMaT

klricks

Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:33 pm

MeisterKN wrote:Furthermore..., where exactly on the board do You place the red and where the black nodes of the multimeter when measuring power consumption?
With meter set to read voltage, place the red lead on GPIO pin 2 and the black lead to any ground (pin 6), but may be easier to use one of the metal port shields.
HOWEVER if the main SOC or other parts are heating up very hot as you mentioned in your previous post, then there is no point in measuring as the RPi is already damaged beyond repair. Time to get a new one.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

MeisterKN

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:09 am

Hopefully 3...and a working monitor.
heIL heiMaT

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:55 am

MeisterKN wrote:I plan to buy a monitor with a HDMI connector/connection. However, waiting for these to become cheaper. Where I live the cheapest is around 170 EURO. When the cheapest, say, Acer screen, is around 75 EURO, I will buy, depending whether this problem with my Raspberry Pi is resolved.
The problem is, if you wait too long it becomes more of an argument when you decide your Pi is broken and needs to be replaced.

I wouldn't buy a new monitor, I would buy second-hand.
For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Monitors-/800 ... 000&_sop=1
(That's the UK eBay; you'll want to use your local one.)

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:17 am

MeisterKN wrote:This lasts for about a minute and then, all three LEDs turn off and it seems nothing is working.

This happens all the time I connect it to power outlet.
What happens if, after the LEDs turn off, you unplug it, wait 5 seconds and plug it in again?

It seems to me that the only thing that would explain this is that the poly-switch fuse is triggering because too much current is being drawn. If that is the case then it will not reset immediately, so switching off then on in a few seconds will not work.

Is this Pi one you bought second-hand? Because these symptoms sound like what happens when the GPIO pins have been misused. The broken port draws more power which breaks more and more of the SoC in a cascade. The SoC gets hotter, quicker than normal and eventually fails. That said, unless you have a good Pi to compare against, it isn't a definitive diagnosis; the SoC does run quite warm in normal use.

MeisterKN

Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:08 pm

Yes...
When turned on again within seconds, it all works fine for a minute.

The welding I was doing with the first monitor (brand new Pi from UK) was being done with a 3-4 mm head (of the welder). Why do they make all these (even the pro ones) with such a thick tip, and why isn't there a smaller thinner, say 1 mm tip to buy?
So, as you can imagine, it was a mess of enormous proportions, these GPIO pins being so narrowly spaced and small. However, when just making the monitor touch the pins by hand without any welding, I did get a blank, white screen (turned it on). It may have broken (the board) when the monitor and pins were manipulated (I have read this happens very rarely, as these pins are basically not required for Pi to work, and most important point against "self"-mutilation argument, is, that, there are no burned, black, broken, or damaged pins, joints, or any parts on the board).

I am still hopeful that the Pi might have been broken on arrival, that why all the mess with the first monitor, but it could also go the other way (uncertainty being that I did not watch the LEDS at any time) that welding, OR placing the monitor in all possible positions on top of pins to see if it will give any response besides a working blank white screen.

Later, I purchased a bigger monitor (with serial TV connectors) which never showed any life whatsoever, the Pi could have had been broken by then.

So, if it turns quickly on after unplugging, it is not the problem with the fuse??!!

P.S.

What kind of argument do you have in mind, as I see nothing more but fun in these discussions. Buying a new Pi again would not be a problem as 3 seems to be a way to go now. Waiting is really a matter of customs duty fees, and how much I can spare for a HDMI monitor. Here, all second-handers lack HDMI connector.
heIL heiMaT

MeisterKN

Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:40 pm

Some pictures...
They might not be of help, but certainly it gives one more of a hold on to a concept.

http://oscompsolutions.bplaced.net/pi_bilder.html
heIL heiMaT

gordon77

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:00 pm

MeisterKN wrote:Yes...
When turned on again within seconds, it all works fine for a minute.

The welding I was doing with the first monitor (brand new Pi from UK) was being done with a 3-4 mm head (of the welder). Why do they make all these (even the pro ones) with such a thick tip, and why isn't there a smaller thinner, say 1 mm tip to buy?
So, as you can imagine, it was a mess of enormous proportions, these GPIO pins being so narrowly spaced and small. However, when just making the monitor touch the pins by hand without any welding, I did get a blank, white screen (turned it on). It may have broken (the board) when the monitor and pins were manipulated (I have read this happens very rarely, as these pins are basically not required for Pi to work, and most important point against "self"-mutilation argument, is, that, there are no burned, black, broken, or damaged pins, joints, or any parts on the board).

I am still hopeful that the Pi might have been broken on arrival, that why all the mess with the first monitor, but it could also go the other way (uncertainty being that I did not watch the LEDS at any time) that welding, OR placing the monitor in all possible positions on top of pins to see if it will give any response besides a working blank white screen.

Later, I purchased a bigger monitor (with serial TV connectors) which never showed any life whatsoever, the Pi could have had been broken by then.

So, if it turns quickly on after unplugging, it is not the problem with the fuse??!!

P.S.

What kind of argument do you have in mind, as I see nothing more but fun in these discussions. Buying a new Pi again would not be a problem as 3 seems to be a way to go now. Waiting is really a matter of customs duty fees, and how much I can spare for a HDMI monitor. Here, all second-handers lack HDMI connector.
Had me baffled for a while but I assume you mean soldering not welding, here's some smaller tips...http://www.amazon.co.uk/ANTEX-TYPE-SOLD ... B008KL4H0A

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:15 pm

Which monitor were you using when you were soldering? Because "placing the monitor in all possible positions on top of pins" may possibly have shorted a GPIO I/O pin to a 5V pin.

darkbibble

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:27 pm

firstly stop looking at HDMI monitors, they are specifically for higher spec pc's and are expensive. what you need is a HDMI tv as those are cheap to buy and easily available (around £50 in uk), then just plug your pi in properly
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

MeisterKN

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:31 pm

Excuse! Soldering for sure. No board parts melt. 70 Watt solderer with 2/3 cm thick tip. It can only be used in big parts electronics (how big is 2/3 cm in electronics - certainly too thick for most soldering) Paid 50 EUROS, sold for 5. Stupid.
heIL heiMaT

gordon77

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:33 pm

rurwin wrote:Which monitor were you using when you were soldering? Because "placing the monitor in all possible positions on top of pins" may possibly have shorted a GPIO I/O pin to a 5V pin.
I wondered if something like this had damaged the GPIO and soc and it's overheating

MeisterKN

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:38 pm

PiTFT - Assembled 320x240 2.8" TFT+Touchscreen for Raspberry Pi

@ above

You're right for TV, but I have a nice Dell Desktop with an 11 year old Samsung monitor I would like to replace as well.
heIL heiMaT

Return to “Troubleshooting”