NeilAlexanderHiggins

Problem with Certificates in Jessie

Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:23 am

Jessie's certificate handling is broken. If a root cert. is withdrawn, Jessie fails instead of checking alternative root certs. This can be worked around by people with expertise, but for muggles like me, it means, e.g. that I can't enlist my new Pi 3 at Einstein@Home. Please fix.

NeilAlexanderHiggins

Re: Problem with Certificates in Jessie

Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:56 am

Foundation: Are you listening? The Debian custodian should be taken aside for a serious chat.

RaTTuS

Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:12 pm

is this foundation or debian problem ?
have you put in a bug report ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

NeilAlexanderHiggins

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:35 am

It's not my problem, that's for sure. All of the WiFi problems, well documented on this and other sites, and now this. I'm on the verge of chucking my Pi 3 and going elsewhere.

NeilAlexanderHiggins

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:36 am

[MOD EDIT - WARNING ISSUED]

NeilAlexanderHiggins

Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:03 am

Yeah, ok.

Quoting from "makezine": "We also ran into one problem with the onboard Wi-Fi that only occurred whilst running the new board in headless mode. This ended up being caused by a power-saving mode on the connectivity chip. Effectively the board became unresponsive in headless mode if it was connected to the network only via Wi-Fi." Ah-ha.

So: Now we have a Pi 3 rated at 5.1V (!), a Pi 3 that dies when running Linpack, a Pi 3 that dies in headless mode when running WiFi only, and a Pi 3 running a Jessie disto that can't process certificates properly.

I would use the term "under-cooked" except that the Linpack results suggest a modicum of "over-cooking". Haste makes waste.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:41 pm

That is off topic. If all you are going to do is 'pi bash' quotes from other sources then perhaps you should post them elsewhere.

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

NeilAlexanderHiggins

Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:21 am

Hardly. This is how I found out why my Pi 3 was apparently crashing. It's amazing how quickly good will evapoates when people go on wild goose chases after problems that turn out to be in the product, not in their use of it. The Foundation should (a) enumerate the known major problems and the time frames for remediation, and (b) issue a very public apology for the amount of people's time that has been wasted.

gkreidl

Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:33 am

NeilAlexanderHiggins wrote:Hardly. This is how I found out why my Pi 3 was apparently crashing. It's amazing how quickly good will evapoates when people go on wild goose chases after problems that turn out to be in the product, not in their use of it. The Foundation should (a) enumerate the known major problems and the time frames for remediation, and (b) issue a very public apology for the amount of people's time that has been wasted.
You should immediately stop using computers (any kind). You don't seem to know that
1) There's no software without undetected bugs.
2) There's no OS without (at least) tens of thousands undetected bugs.
3) Tens of thousands of developers (if you count all packages) are involved in a system like Debian/Raspbian, most of them in their spare time.

The Foundation is only responsible for a very small part of the software system (firmware, a few drivers, kernel settings, a small number of packages from their local archive which replace Raspbian packages).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

NeilAlexanderHiggins

Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:39 am

The problem with amateur organisations is that don't even know what bugs and limitations are inherent in their products, let alone have a plan to address them. Eben's best effort in respect of the WiFi bug (and why would you add WiFi as an alternative to wired unless you intend that people will use it) is that the problem will be addressed "eventually." Woo-hoo!

gkreidl

Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:03 am

NeilAlexanderHiggins wrote:The problem with amateur organisations is that don't even know what bugs and limitations are inherent in their products, let alone have a plan to address them. Eben's best effort in respect of the WiFi bug (and why would you add WiFi as an alternative to wired unless you intend that people will use it) is that the problem will be addressed "eventually." Woo-hoo!
The problem with amateur people like you is that they do not know what they are talking about. Did you ever provide something useful to the community?
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

NeilAlexanderHiggins

Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:10 am

"kweb - slim and fast" - that's paid (professional) advertising, is it?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:14 am

NeilAlexanderHiggins wrote:"kweb - slim and fast" - that's paid (professional) advertising, is it?
Kweb is open-source :?
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:17 am

NeilAlexanderHiggins wrote:Jessie's certificate handling is broken. If a root cert. is withdrawn, Jessie fails instead of checking alternative root certs. This can be worked around by people with expertise, but for muggles like me, it means, e.g. that I can't enlist my new Pi 3 at Einstein@Home. Please fix.
Have you update & dist-upgrade Jessie ?

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... _notes.txt

NeilAlexanderHiggins

Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:24 am

No matches to "certificate"

ghans

Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:46 pm

I still don't understand the problem ? Which root certificate
store are you talking about ? Iceweasels ?

Do you have all updates installed (a WiFi problem was
recently fixed ) . Are you running Raspbian
Jessie ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:47 pm

NeilAlexanderHiggins wrote:The problem with amateur organisations is that don't even know what bugs and limitations are inherent in their products, let alone have a plan to address them. Eben's best effort in respect of the WiFi bug (and why would you add WiFi as an alternative to wired unless you intend that people will use it) is that the problem will be addressed "eventually." Woo-hoo!
Can you stop using some of those aromatic materials you're smoking? They're clearly addling your brain and turning your thoughts into complete balderdash and poppycock.

The RPF isn't amateur, you can't sell 8 million computers without some level of professionalism. Eben and his team are a highly skilled group of engineers who've started to change the world of computing in their first four years.

There's always bugs in software (fixing them has paid my mortgage off).

Your mythical WiFi bug is solved with the 4.1.20 (and experimental 4.4.6) kernel and firmware.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gkreidl

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:14 am

NeilAlexanderHiggins wrote:"kweb - slim and fast" - that's paid (professional) advertising, is it?
Who's getting paid for what?
kweb is free and open source software and a gift to the community.

scidata

Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:23 pm

I too am a fan of Einstein@home (user Muskoka https://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/top_users ... t&offset=0).
I tried both Raspbian and Ubuntu MATE - same problem. I'll just wait for a fix.
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is" - Isaac Asimov

NeilAlexanderHiggins

Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:15 am

Does anybody (who knows what they are talking about) know if this is fixed yet?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:21 am

NeilAlexanderHiggins wrote:Does anybody (who knows what they are talking about) know if this is fixed yet?
Thought you had given up and chucked the Raspberry Pi 3B viewtopic.php?f=28&t=140036#p929429

ghans

Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:27 am

Nobody has any idea what you are talking about.
Its good that the Einstein@Home folks know that something
is wrong with Raspbian. What i don't understand why they
don't try to issue a proper bugreport so that people can
actually do something about it.

Try to contact forum members "plugwash" and "ShiftPlusOne".
You would be advised to have some (any) useful details and
instructions for reproduction of the issue ready which
you have been omitting from this public thread.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/raspbian
https://github.com/RPi-Distro/repo/issues

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

NeilAlexanderHiggins

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:27 am

Ah! Good to see that the fanboys are following up their old "conquests". Feeling better now?

jojopi

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:49 am

I suppose the issue is the one discussed here: https://einsteinathome.org/forum_thread.php?id=11760

It was reported to Debian and eventually fixed: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... =812708#15

It was also reported to Raspbian, but that was not really necessary because Debian fixes are usually adopted automatically: https://bugs.launchpad.net/raspbian/+bug/1538821

apt-get should pull the latest package, openssl 1.0.1t-1+deb8u2, so there is no need for the Foundation to update anything.

DougieLawson

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:35 pm

If it doesn't work on Jessie try running E@H on Ubuntu MATE.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Troubleshooting”