amead

Pi 3 cannot boot images that for with Pi 2?

Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:11 am

I understood that I could use the old boot images on the new Pi. Is this a misunderstanding? If so, what images can be used with the Pi 3 (just Jessie or NOOBS)?

Details:
  • I have two micro SD cards that both boot fine on my Pi 2 B v1.1 but both get rainbow screens on a new Pi 3 B v1.2.
  • They're not the common distros: CentOS 7 and Pidora.
  • I have both Pi's sitting on my desk with the same USB keyboard, HDMI cable power supply. I've tried each micro SD card with each Pi 2-3 times. The Pi 2 boots right up. The Pi 3 goes to the rainbow screen and the green light throbs four times (and then three more times quickly, I don't know if that's 4, 3, or 7).
I could get one, but I don't have currently a third unused micro SD card to try to Jessie...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi 3 cannot boot images that for with Pi 2?

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:25 am

Have you done

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Whilst in the Pi2's?

If so, I would suggest a power problem.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

fruitoftheloom

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:24 am

amead wrote:I understood that I could use the old boot images on the new Pi. Is this a misunderstanding? If so, what images can be used with the Pi 3 (just Jessie or NOOBS)?

Details:
  • I have two micro SD cards that both boot fine on my Pi 2 B v1.1 but both get rainbow screens on a new Pi 3 B v1.2.
  • They're not the common distros: CentOS 7 and Pidora.
  • I have both Pi's sitting on my desk with the same USB keyboard, HDMI cable power supply. I've tried each micro SD card with each Pi 2-3 times. The Pi 2 boots right up. The Pi 3 goes to the rainbow screen and the green light throbs four times (and then three more times quickly, I don't know if that's 4, 3, or 7).
I could get one, but I don't have currently a third unused micro SD card to try to Jessie...
NOOBS installer /chooser may need an update, the developers have not confirmed as yet.

Raspbian Jessie Standalone needs an update && dist-upgrade in an earlier RPi

AFAIAA OpenElec, Ubuntu-Mate and OSMC need upgrading on an earlier RPi

Pidora is for RPi 1 and is replaced by Fedora, but it seems not updated for RPi 3B as yet.

All other Operating Systems you will need to contact the developers...
Retired disgracefully.....

amead

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:13 pm

jamesh wrote:Have you done

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Well, yes I updated the images on the Pi 2, but apt-get is specific to Debian. I'm not running Jessie or NOOBS.

I should have said that I reviewed the troubleshooting guide and followed all the advice I could find except one bit: When I try to read the images on Windows 7, it cannot read the images (it wants to format the card), so I cannot edit config.txt. I used a tool called rufus to write the images and they work fine on the Pi 2.
jamesh wrote:If so, I would suggest a power problem.
I bought a new 2.5 amp power supply for the Pi 3 and I initially tried that (from CanaKit, it was advertised for the Pi). Then I switched to the 1.8 amp power supply that I'd been using for the Pi 2. The behavior with these two power supplies was identical. I also tried the new 12.5 watt ps with the Pi 2 and that worked fine. So, I don't think it's a power problem.

I think I was wrong in my understanding that any ARM7 image would work on the new Pi 3.

FallChallenge

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:57 am

I can't boot too.

I've done on the RPi 2 Raspbian Jessie a

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
But the Raspberry pi 3 led still blinks...

:| Why do they release "unstable" product? without a working guide or something else....?!? :x :x bah...

fruit-uk

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:57 am

Not unstable here!
Is your PSU sufficient? Despite what it may say on the label it may not be providing enough power for the Pi3 - or you may have a poor quality lead between it and the Pi

jamesh

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:53 am

FallChallenge wrote:I can't boot too.

:| Why do they release "unstable" product? without a working guide or something else....?!? :x :x bah...
Can I suggest that blaming product as unstable from one sample from 300k might not be statistically valid?

Try a new SD card with the latest Raspbian. ENsure your USB power lead is decent. Ensure power supply is decent.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

FallChallenge

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:18 am

jamesh wrote:
FallChallenge wrote:I can't boot too.

Can I suggest that blaming product as unstable from one sample from 300k might not be statistically valid?

Try a new SD card with the latest Raspbian. ENsure your USB power lead is decent. Ensure power supply is decent.
The power is ok, where is a complete guide that shows how to migrate?
A lot of people are getting issues because this "fresh product" doesn't have clear guides yet.

pingpong2012

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:40 am

amead wrote:
jamesh wrote:Have you done

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Well, yes I updated the images on the Pi 2, but apt-get is specific to Debian. I'm not running Jessie or NOOBS.

I should have said that I reviewed the troubleshooting guide and followed all the advice I could find except one bit: When I try to read the images on Windows 7, it cannot read the images (it wants to format the card), so I cannot edit config.txt. I used a tool called rufus to write the images and they work fine on the Pi 2.
jamesh wrote:If so, I would suggest a power problem.
I bought a new 2.5 amp power supply for the Pi 3 and I initially tried that (from CanaKit, it was advertised for the Pi). Then I switched to the 1.8 amp power supply that I'd been using for the Pi 2. The behavior with these two power supplies was identical. I also tried the new 12.5 watt ps with the Pi 2 and that worked fine. So, I don't think it's a power problem.

I think I was wrong in my understanding that any ARM7 image would work on the new Pi 3.
I'm confident your cards are not written properly. If they were, Windows would show the boot partition.

Use win32diskimager, from sourceforge. Double check you have the right USB device, and write to it. I think it has to have at least one recognized partition to show up in the drive list, but then it writes like dd, so even if the only partition to show up is a tiny one, it will burn the whole raspi image to the card.

The only other explanation is you're not actually using a Raspbian image, because they always have the partition if flashed properly.

Edit: I just found out NOOBS requires a clean fat32 partition, and then you just extract all the files to the fat32 partition. Writing NOOBS with an image burner doesn't work. I'm putting this here because that's weird and I wouldn't expect it.

umh

Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:23 pm

I just got my Pi 3 and I also cannot get it to boot with SD card contating latest Raspbian image.
The card work perfect on Pi 2 and Pi 1. What is this all about?
/Peter

umh

Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:54 pm

Updated all with apt-get update and upgrade. Still not working. Only rainbow screen.

dmstewart

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:29 am

I think I should chime in here. I've had 3 RPi 3's since release. 2 of them could boot or load into any OS other than Raspbian. Only one could successfully launch Kodi. In an RPi2 or B+ the OS's work. They work in one out of the 3 RPi3's. The other two give me the rainbow screen.

Right now I only know one sure fire way around this: If the main file is an .img file it needs to be an ISO. So I downloaded the OpenELEC file, unpacked it. Take your img file and dd it to another sd card. Then use that SD card to do the install. I have no idea why one RPi3 worked and the other two did not. Not sure if when I did the first one it was on the OPENELEC site as an iso, if the other RPi3 was different (who knows, maybe I got an RPi2 in a 3 box). I should note that as of writing this one RPi3 still is being stubborn and will not finish the installation of OpenELEC.

dmstewart

Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:12 am

umh wrote:I just got my Pi 3 and I also cannot get it to boot with SD card contating latest Raspbian image.
The card work perfect on Pi 2 and Pi 1. What is this all about?
/Peter
Are you trying to write an img? Because for NOOBS/Raspbian you just need to unzip the file and the copy and paste all the contents onto the sd card.

Bignumbas

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:04 am

I had this problem until I updated the firmware to the latest while using the sdcard in a pi 2, then it worked in the pi 3.

Use rpi-update.

https://linhost.info/2015/05/update-the ... pberry-pi/

hagrid67

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:02 pm

Bignumbas wrote:I had this problem until I updated the firmware to the latest while using the sdcard in a pi 2, then it worked in the pi 3.

Use rpi-update.

Yes this worked for me - many thanks Bignumbas. (I was using a wheezy image which I'd downloaded in Feb 2015... probably not ideal)

Bit surprised at the jiggery-pokery involved after the smooth experience with the earlier pis, but partly my own fault too.

reuangeh

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:12 pm

Bignumbas wrote:I had this problem until I updated the firmware to the latest while using the sdcard in a pi 2, then it worked in the pi 3.

Use rpi-update.

Thanks Bignumbas! You're my hero of the day!

Cobbjo

Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:26 am

Hello

i had the same issues with going to that dreaded rainbow screen. purchased a 2amp power supply loaded the Noobs software . Booted OK waiting for update. Now waiting to try and load dv4mini software fingers crossed that it works.

kimSJ

Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:00 am

For Raspbian, the answer's simple. Wheezy won't boot on Pi 3, Jessie will.

If you want to try upgrading an SD card, try the instructions at viewtopic.php?t=121880

It will take you a long evening; so only worth it if you've got lots of stuff you don't want to just copy onto a USB stick and copy back to a new Jessie image. Instead, I'd suggest getting a new SD card and putting a fresh Jessie onto it. That way, you can always go back to the old image (on a Pi 2, of course) to get stuff you forgot about.

For other operating systems/Linux versions, they'll need to do their own ports, I suspect.

mech259

Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:07 pm

kimSJ wrote:For Raspbian, the answer's simple. Wheezy won't boot on Pi 3, Jessie will.

3 different installs of Jessie will not boot the Pi3. It still hangs on color screen!

If you want to try upgrading an SD card, try the instructions at viewtopic.php?t=121880

It will take you a long evening; so only worth it if you've got lots of stuff you don't want to just copy onto a USB stick and copy back to a new Jessie image. Instead, I'd suggest getting a new SD card and putting a fresh Jessie onto it. That way, you can always go back to the old image (on a Pi 2, of course) to get stuff you forgot about.

For other operating systems/Linux versions, they'll need to do their own ports, I suspect.

mech259

Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:11 pm

kimSJ wrote:For Raspbian, the answer's simple. Wheezy won't boot on Pi 3, Jessie will..
3 different installs of Jessie will not boot the Pi3. It still hangs on color screen!
kimSJ wrote:If you want to try upgrading an SD card, try the instructions at viewtopic.php?t=121880

Return to “Troubleshooting”