gumaguma

first time boot issue

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi,

I've just tried to set up my Pi (model B), but I'm having some trouble! I've got all the components (power, mouse, keyboard, hdmi, SDcard - with Raspbian “wheezy”) but when I power it on, after booting it sends me straight to the "Raspi-config" menu. From which my attached mouse and keyboard do nothing!

Just before I get whisked off to the config menu it prompts me to type something along the lines of "startx" (it's there for a split second before the menu comes up) if that is of any use at all?

Very eager to start playing around with it, so any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

P.S.
Quite new to programming so sorry if I've missed out key info!

calebzulawski

Re: first time boot issue

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:01 pm

What keyboard/mouse are you using? There are some problem ones, but not too many.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:05 pm

First, typing startx starts the GUI.

Secondly if your keyboard doesn't seem to work, there could be a number of issue's most importantly the USB devices are very sensitive to low input power, so if your charger just can't deliver enough power, the keyboard is one of the first things that suffer.
Keyboard input when inputting a password won't be echoed not even by stars, that just how Linux works, so in that case your keyboard may seem to fail when its working. Not the case here I think.

You may try another PSU, or keyboard (if your keyboard uses more than 100mA it won't work with a PI), or at least you could try without a mouse plugged in.

FX4

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:07 pm

BTW: The initial start sequence you are seeing is normal. Don't worry about it. However your keyboard not working is an issue.

gumaguma

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:45 pm

the keyboard I'm using is the Asda - Basic Wired Keyboard HK3014. As recommended by " http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals ".

Any ideas?

gumaguma

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:22 pm

Thanks for the reply, I've tried booting with just the mouse / just the keyboard and it still will not work.

As for power, I'm using; " http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 ... 02_s00_i00 ", I believe it to fit all criteria?

cheers for the help guys :)

Jim JKla

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:25 pm

I've used that Asda keyboard and the mouse and had no problems.

There's some stuff in the wiki for noobas and part of it is about connecting blind (via ssh and putty from a pc)

have a look

http://elinux.org/RPi_A_Method_for_ssh_blind_login
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

drgeoff

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:50 pm

gumaguma wrote:Thanks for the reply, I've tried booting with just the mouse / just the keyboard and it still will not work.

As for power, I'm using; " http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 ... 02_s00_i00 ", I believe it to fit all criteria?

cheers for the help guys :)
The review by AETAaAS on the Amazon page for that USB charger does cast some doubt on its output current capability.

Also, as far as I can see it requires a separate cable to link one of its output sockets to the micro-USB power input socket on the RPi. I have encountered a cable which gave very flakey results with my RPis. Presumably due to the wires being thin and causing too much voltage loss.

gumaguma

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:08 pm

Cheers for the advice guys!

The monitor isn't a problem as I can see everything on it and the hdmi - hdmi connection has been tried and tested.

As for the usb - micro usb cable, would a faulty one still allow it to boot but not allow for any peripherals to be of use? If so I'll get another to see!

cheers again all :D

drgeoff

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:11 pm

gumaguma wrote:Cheers for the advice guys!

The monitor isn't a problem as I can see everything on it and the hdmi - hdmi connection has been tried and tested.

As for the usb - micro usb cable, would a faulty one still allow it to boot but not allow for any peripherals to be of use? If so I'll get another to see!

cheers again all :D
The RPi will probably boot OK with a low input voltage from the PSU because the CPU/GPU and memory are running from lower voltage(s), derived on board, which will hold up even though the 5 volt input may be low. The USB chip and your USB devices are connected more or less directly to the PSU input.

Do you have or can you beg/borrow/steal a voltmeter?

Another USB power cable of identical type is unlikely to help. If it is the problem it is a design shortcoming, not an isolated one-off.

duck123

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Got the exact same problem. Keyboard is the one recommended by Farnell, Space Saver Compact Keyboard Model KL5. Tried with another keyboard, didn't work either. All I have plugged in atm is the keyboard.

I read the wiki from a couple posts above about blind login, but I have a shared ethernet connection, no idea if it's with a router or a hub, a different ip and absolutely no idea where I can find the manual so that won't help either.

please help

duck123

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Got it working by using a 2male-1female USB cable plugged in the pi and my laptop for the keyboard to work. I guess that can only mean there is a power problem?

thsBavR10

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:53 pm

Might be, have a look there:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =63&t=8591
You could try to shorten the polyfuses F1/F2. In the next board revision they are removed.

Return to “Troubleshooting”