benryu

Mounting hdd and setting up transmission

Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:53 pm

I had a RPI B+ and had configured transmission for running it as a 24x7 downloader with a 500gb hdd on a powered usb hub.

I recently purchased RPI2 and got a bigger memory card (16gb vis-a-vis 8gb). Flashed jessie and booted the pi.

First went to sudo raspi-config and enabled SSH server in advanced options, expanded file system. and then rebooted the pi.

Then setup static ip
This was the contents of the interfaces file:
[quote]auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

auto wlan1
allow-hotplug wlan1
iface wlan1 inet manual
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
[/quote]

I changed it to:

[quote]auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
[/quote]

After that ran sudo apt-get update.

When i enter sudo mount i get this:
[quote]/dev/mmcblk0p2 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=469756k,nr_inodes=117439,mode=755)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=22,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=94812k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
/dev/sda1 on /media/pi/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks2)[/quote]

How do i go about automounting and setting up transmission now?

Once i tried editing the fstab file with the uuid details to mount hdd but after that i couldnt access the pi. Could never ssh into the pi. Got connection refused error. Please help.

PS: Noob alert. No knowledge on linux.
Last edited by benryu on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benryu

Re: Mounting hdd and setting up transmission

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:00 pm

Cant seem to access the hdd. This is what i got.
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cd /media/pi
pi@raspberrypi /media/pi $ ls
FreeAgent GoFlex Drive
pi@raspberrypi /media/pi $ cd /media/pi/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive
-bash: cd: /media/pi/FreeAgent: No such file or directory

rpdom

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:32 pm

Does the name of the drive have spaces in? If so, Linux will assume those spaces are parameter separators instead of part of the name.

Try using quotes on the name

Code: Select all

cd "/media/pi/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive"
or "escaping" the spaces with a backslash which tells the shell not to interpret them as special characters

cd /media/pi/FreeAgent\ GoFlex\ Drive
You can also use the Bash shell "tab completion" function to auto-complete the name for you

cd /media/pi/Fr<Tab>
(where "<Tab>" means "Press the Tab key")

benryu

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:46 pm

Ok this worked. But is the hdd automounted? I have tried editing the fstab file to include the details of the hdd to automount but after that i could never ssh into the pi.

On the old pi i had two directories created for transmission as "completed" and "incomplete".

Is it possible to set the same directories now?

benryu

Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:25 am

I think i am having issues with the network. Is there a very simple set by step guide to configure static ip on jessie. I looked at a few threads and i was not able to follow.

Ok i have edited the dhcpcp.conf file and added these lines at the end
interface eth0
static ip_address=192.168.1.2/24
static routers=192.168.1.1
static domain_name_servers=8.8.4.4 8.8.8.8
Should the ip be 192.168.1.2? Why should it be set to 2/24?
I am guessing static router is the ip i use to log into my router
I dont have any set dns on my ISP. It will be automatically determined. I could key in the Google DNS in my network settings also if it is required for the rpi since i am giving them here in the dhcpcd file.

DougieLawson

Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:44 am

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24 is CIDR format for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with netmask 255.255.255.0 (24 left most bits are one). In binary the mask would be 11111111111111111111111100000000. CIDR format makes more sense than any of the older network naming standards & notations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classless ... in_Routing

the gateway needs to be the machine on your network that is connected to the public internet and routes ALL traffic that doesn't belong to your LAN to the internet.

192.168.1.2 is your choice based on what address range is used on your network and what subset of that is used for your DHCP pool (or whether your home router allows you to claim a DHCP address as static).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Troubleshooting”