jannetta

PiFace problems

Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:07 am

Hi Folks

I have an old PiFace board running on my old Raspberry Pi. Everything used to work perfectly but I decided to format the SD card and update to the latest Raspbian and now I can't get the PiFace to work again. I followed the instructions on http://www.piface.org.uk/guides/Install ... _Software/ but when I run the test program I get the error message that says: no piface digital board detected.

I googled the error and tried a couple of things that were suggested but I can't get it working. Can someone perhaps help?

Regards
Jannetta

bulletmark

Re: PiFace problems

Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:18 pm

No one has answered so I'll offer this ..

I created a script to install the spidev stuff for the piface board which you could try. I have not tried it on Raspbian Jessie but it worked on Wheezy and it works on Arch which is now what I run with my Piface. Download it from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bulle ... -spidev.sh and run it with sudo. Please let me know if it works and it not then show all the output here. Thanks.

KevinA

Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:27 pm

bulletmark wrote:No one has answered so I'll offer this ..

I created a script to install the spidev stuff for the piface board which you could try. I have not tried it on Raspbian Jessie but it worked on Wheezy and it works on Arch which is now what I run with my Piface. Download it from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bulle ... -spidev.sh and run it with sudo. Please let me know if it works and it not then show all the output here. Thanks.
Doesn't work on Jessie, no longer uses backlist or spi_bcm2708 or modprobe I'm trying to find how to install spidev

bulletmark

Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:17 pm

KevinA wrote: Doesn't work on Jessie, no longer uses backlist or spi_bcm2708 or modprobe I'm trying to find how to install spidev
If it doesn't work can you please paste the script output here (in code tags). Thanks.

bulletmark

Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:48 am

Actually, I just installed the current Raspbian Jessie 2015-09-24-raspbian-jessie.img image to my RPi model 2 and apart from a single character typo I had in the script it works fine. I could read and write to my PiFace board.

I fixed the script and push the updated package to github and PyPI. I noticed stock Raspbian already has pip installed so anybody installing generic raspbian can just type the following to get their PiFace to work:

Code: Select all

sudo pip install -U pifaceio
sudo install-spidev.sh
Then reboot. Sample test code:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/python
import pifaceio
pf = pifaceio.PiFace()
print "Inputs are {:#02x}".format(pf.read())

Return to “Troubleshooting”