rpdom

Re: Raspbian Jessie zip appears corrupt

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:46 pm

Joe, I've had no trouble using the standard unzip from wheezy to decompress the new images.

Joe Schmoe

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:19 pm

rpdom wrote:Joe, I've had no trouble using the standard unzip from wheezy to decompress the new images.
Thanks. Good to know.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

DougieLawson

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:50 pm

rpdom wrote:Joe, I've had no trouble using the standard unzip from wheezy to decompress the new images.
I use 7Z on my 2B as that can run multi-threaded across all four cores and that reduces elapsed time.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Joe Schmoe

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:57 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
I use 7Z on my 2B as that can run multi-threaded across all four cores and that reduces elapsed time.
That's probably true but has nothing to do with my question.

Thanks for playing, though...

DougieLawson

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:53 pm

I don't know if I'm bored enough to try unzip on a Jessie ZIP file and compare the results with the version I've unzipped with 7z.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

rpdom

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:17 pm

DougieLawson wrote:I don't know if I'm bored enough to try unzip on a Jessie ZIP file and compare the results with the version I've unzipped with 7z.
Why bother when you can see I've already said that it works?

irishcanuck

Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:09 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:Really, folks. Just use NOOBS Lite. You'll be glad you did.

And remember, NOOBS *is* the approved/recommended way. This "raw image" stuff is really only for hardcores.
Perhaps, but Raspbian is the official distro of the foundation. I think that breaching learning curve of dd'ing the image under normal circumstances (i.e. without the added complications of a <4gb image) is worth the thrill of watching raspbian boot up for the first time. About as exciting as watching paint dry, I know, yet having been a debian user for the past fifteen years, that scrolling screen is as near to Pavlov's bell as it gets.

Joe Schmoe

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:29 am

Perhaps, but Raspbian is the official distro of the foundation.
Your comment implies that you think that NOOBS and Raspbian are competing products (i.e., that one must choose one or the other to install on your system). Nothing could be further from the truth.

hansotten

Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:27 am

I had the problem on windows 8.1 with WINRAR unzipping the latest jessie, the first Raspbian over 4GB.
First time ever having problems with this. No errors during extraction, the image booted but at the end of the boot gave errors and warnings. I should have checked the SHA ofcourse :)

7zip cured my problems.

A pity to see the official Raspbian becoming bloatware :? After installation I execute a long line with apt-get remove.
My stack of 4 GB SD cards is obsolete now or I have to find the unofficial Raspbians on a diet.
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with the 6502 cpu

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:21 am

hansotten wrote: A pity to see the official Raspbian becoming bloatware :? After installation I execute a long line with apt-get remove.
My stack of 4 GB SD cards is obsolete now or I have to find the unofficial Raspbians on a diet.
So why are you using NOOBS or plain Raspbian when raspbian-ua-netinst and DietPi are both available to give you a fully supported Raspbian system without the bloat.

Joe Schmoe

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:54 pm

So why are you using NOOBS or plain Raspbian when raspbian-ua-netinst and DietPi are both available to give you a fully supported Raspbian system without the bloat.
Available, yes, but not exactly newbie-friendly, I would imagine.

In any case, I've never gotten around to trying those; maybe I should try it one of these days...

DougieLawson

Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
Available, yes, but not exactly newbie-friendly, I would imagine.

In any case, I've never gotten around to trying those; maybe I should try it one of these days...
Why do you have to comment on things you've never tried? DietPi is an easy install, helped by the maintainer who is very receptive to comments and changes. Raspbian-ua-netinst is no more difficult to use than an plain Raspbian image.

larahoun

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:28 am

I use 7-zip v9.20: the latest official version and it doesn't unzip the package.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:53 am

larahoun wrote:I use 7-zip v9.20: the latest official version and it doesn't unzip the package.
Is there an error message? What type of filesystem is the file being extracted to? If you're extracting it onto something that's formatted as fat32, it won't work.

DirkS

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:54 am

larahoun wrote:I use 7-zip v9.20: the latest official version and it doesn't unzip the package.
Did you check the SHA1 checksum of the downloaded ZIP file?

Hiro

Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:53 am

As mentioned it does seem to be an issue with older software. I tried to extract it using my daily driver with Win XP and a version of Winrar i should have updated years ago The file did extract but there were two "Archive is corrupt" errors so i did not try and use it. I downloaded the latest 7-Zip and it worked a treat on XP too.

Liyo

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:23 pm

Hi!

I am new here, so Hello Raspberry Pi World! :D

The first problem is already here and the SHA-1 code for my image zip (RASPBIAN JESSIE
Full desktop image based on Debian Jessie) does not match with the zip downloaded from the official website. I haven't experienced problems unzipping it but the sha-1 is making me crazy.

The sha-1 I get: 6e85ed009faf4f013ac3ee472615b6d0 2016-02-26-raspbian-jessie.img

The sha-1 from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ is 4a841dffd02197548bf2329b90a0a44eeeebb4ab

Thank you so much!

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:40 am

Liyo wrote:Hi!

I am new here, so Hello Raspberry Pi World! :D

The first problem is already here and the SHA-1 code for my image zip (RASPBIAN JESSIE
Full desktop image based on Debian Jessie) does not match with the zip downloaded from the official website. I haven't experienced problems unzipping it but the sha-1 is making me crazy.

The sha-1 I get: 6e85ed009faf4f013ac3ee472615b6d0 2016-02-26-raspbian-jessie.img

The sha-1 from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ is 4a841dffd02197548bf2329b90a0a44eeeebb4ab

Thank you so much!
The sha1sum is for the .zip file, not the .img file.

Liyo

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:40 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote: The sha1sum is for the .zip file, not the .img file.
Yes sorry, I knew it because I read it in this post but I posted the wrong name of the file.

The sha-1 code for the .zip file I obtain is: 6e85ed009faf4f013ac3ee472615b6d0 2016-02-26-raspbian-jessie.zip

I don't know why :(

Solved! I was retrieving the md5 value not sha-1 :oops:

Thanks!

flagtrax

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:19 pm

7zip doesn't work for me! I've tried half a dozen times on 2 different computers both running windows 10. I had no issues with my Rpi 2b noobs download, extract and install. However when I finally got a Pi zero w and tried to download, unzip and install Raspbian Jessie, It would error out using the instructions posted at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md 7zip responded with "Cannot set length for output file. There is not enough space on the disk".
Really? Not enough space on my 1TB drive? Bwahahahahaha. surely you jest. I downloaded the zip on 2 different systems as well, both with the same results.......There is something amiss here.

DirkS

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:34 pm

flagtrax wrote:7zip doesn't work for me! I've tried half a dozen times on 2 different computers both running windows 10. I had no issues with my Rpi 2b noobs download, extract and install. However when I finally got a Pi zero w and tried to download, unzip and install Raspbian Jessie, It would error out using the instructions posted at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md 7zip responded with "Cannot set length for output file. There is not enough space on the disk".
Really? Not enough space on my 1TB drive? Bwahahahahaha. surely you jest. I downloaded the zip on 2 different systems as well, both with the same results.......There is something amiss here.
First check the SHA-1 checksum of the zipped image (see https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/).
Have you tried Etcher (https://etcher.io/)? It will accept zipped images, so you don''t have to unzip it manually.

flagtrax

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Since the last post, I was able to (re)download Raspbian, unzip it with 7zip, and boot (somewhat). The difference? only thing I can think of is that I used a 32GB Samsung microsd in a Samsung adapter when imaging. The others were 16GB Lexar and SP Elite. I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the decompressing errors though. At this point I've placed the imaged micro sd (the Samsung 32GB) in the Rpi zero w and it booted to a somewhat distorted screen. by that I mean some of the pixels on the desktop "sparkled". In addition, the usb port appears to be dead. I plugged in (via adapter) the same usb bluetooth dongle I use with my Pi 2b which works fine.There does appear to be voltage on the proper pins of the usb plug. That's as far as I got. I'm going to try copying my latest downloaded raspbian over to the other computer to see if I encounter errors in the unzip/ image process (yeah I'm a bit masochistic) As far as checksum goes, although I do understand what it is and how it works I don't have the knowledge as to how to check it. My experience (ancient) with it was incorporating it into file transfer subroutines.

Update:
I did successfully write a system on one of the 16 GB micro sd cards using my Win 10 desktop. I put in in the Rpi zero w and it did the same as the original. It booted to the Pixel desktop, but I have no control via the usb port. I'll reiterate that all that is plugged into it is the bluetooth transceiver that provides connectivity to a wireless Keyboard and mouse. And also reiterate that the keyboard and mouse work fine on the Rpi 2b and the desk top.I tried this "trick" described here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151#p850218 with positive results. According to the author it is an indicator that the pi is not dead. I'm really not sure where to go from here. Interestingly I've seen many reports of the usb port not working but have seen no real conclusive single fix for any of them. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks in advance ;)

Update 2:
At this point I've tried several approaches without success. I've changed usb adapters, added a powered usb hub, and nothing appears to have changed. I did however pay closer attention at boot and prior to the Pixel Desktop appearing, there were several lines of text. I tried to take a photo of the screen but it was fuzzy, I'll try again later, but the essence of the first line was

"[ 5.379003] usb usb1=port 1: connect-debounce failed" .

Does this indicate a hardware failure or.....?

Return to “Troubleshooting”