mrakuaku

Noobs SD card is currupt and wont format

Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:15 am

I just got my first Ras pi today, and it the whole ordeal has been extremely frustrating! Its a Raspberry Pi 2 model B. I didn't realize at the time of purchase that the preloaded noobs micro sd card I bought with it wouldn't work with it.

When plugged the SD into my PC and tried and open the SD card files, it said I need to format the card. So I followed the instructions here to no avail https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/noobs-setup/.

When using SD formatter V4.0, (with format type set to full (overwrite), and format size adjustment set to ON), my 8GB card is mistaken as 512kb! After formatting, this stays the same.

I followed this sticky post viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151
and tried FAT 32 format:http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index. ... format.htm ,
but it said that the drive was too small and couldn't be formatted.

I think it's an issue with the partitioning... I'm not sure.

I read somewhere that you can use windows to fix the partitioning by using the search and selecting "create and format hard disk partitions," but I'm a bit lost in how to use that.
Under file system it's listed as "RAW" ... and if I look at the evens under SD card properties I see things from 2013! Is it possible I have a broken recycled SD card!?

Any advice on how to get this thing working again would be appreciated... otherwise I guess I'll have to get another SD card someplace else and hope it's not messed up like this one.

Thanks,

Matt

kusti8

Re: Noobs SD card is currupt and wont format

Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Try booting with a Live Linux CD. Instructions cam be found online. That gives you a temporary Linux PC. Insert the SD card and install GParted from the terminal (you need to setup Internet first):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gparted 
Go to the program menu and find GParted, open it up, select your SD card and delete all partitions and make on big FAT32.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:41 pm

kusti8 wrote:Try booting with a Live Linux CD. Instructions cam be found online. That gives you a temporary Linux PC. Insert the SD card and install GParted from the terminal (you need to setup Internet first):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gparted 
Go to the program menu and find GParted, open it up, select your SD card and delete all partitions and make on big FAT32.
Lubuntu 14.04 LiveCD has gparted included ;)
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

kusti8

Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:58 pm

Hmm. I've never used Lubuntu.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

mrakuaku

Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:07 pm

I don't have a disk drive in my laptop to do this :?
I read there was a way to run linux as an app on windows.. would this allow me to format the sd card properly? I'm using windows 8.1

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:18 pm

mrakuaku wrote:I don't have a disk drive in my laptop to do this :?
I read there was a way to run linux as an app on windows.. would this allow me to format the sd card properly? I'm using windows 8.1
Boot from a LiveUSB Drive if no Optical Drive, should be a BIOS option for booting from USB Drive:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

drgeoff

Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:46 pm

If you have a digital camera that will take the card, try using the camera's format option.

johndough

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:01 am

Hi

I use:- http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Whis shows the partitions that are normally hidden from Windows.
LinuxReader.PNG
LinuxReader.PNG (56.02 KiB) Viewed 930 times
I am using XP but feel certain that 8.1 would be just as capable.

Return to “Troubleshooting”