Cwellan

Multiroom audio: Multiple Bluetooth dongles > Multiple Sinks

Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:18 pm

Hello everyone !

I've had my raspi for years, and I'd like to carry out a project really useful for the music fan I am.
What I have:
- Several raspis (B rev1, B+, 2)
- Several bluetooth speakers (a2dp sinks) from different brands
- Several bluetooth dongles from different brands (with a powered usb hub)
- A wifi dongle but I would also be able to connect to an Ethernet port.
- A multi room house. That's why I'd like to carry out this project ! :D

I'd like to stream music from my phone to the raspberry pi, which is himself streaming this input stream to several bluetooth speakers, through different dongles.

This drawing depicts my wishes:

I've tried to use alsa + pulseaudio, playing the sound with mplayer, with the alsa plugin "multi". It works, BUT.
The main problem is that, as the sound plays, there are some sound cuts on the least powerful speakers (or audio sinks): the result is clearly a problem 1 minute after, the sound is totally out of sync between the speakers.

I don't mind if I would have to start everything from scratch, so if someone has a solution, I would be so happy !

Thank you !

Regards,
Cwellan

Douglas6

Re: Multiroom audio: Multiple Bluetooth dongles > Multiple S

Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:02 pm

Apart from tweaking PulseAudio and ALSA to reduce resampling to a minimum (what is 'top' showing?), I wouldn't expect too much from this approach; Bluetooth is just not the right technology.

I would connect the speakers directly to Pi A+s with WiFi dongles, and use a protocol that supports synchronization, like RTSP.

Cwellan

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:03 pm

You must be right, but if there is a way, it would be such a cheap installation !
When I stop the song manually, I can hear the latest speakers playing for a couple of second, I was wondering if there is a way to say that I don't want the buffer to behave like a stack.

Thank you for the answer !

gsi095

Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:15 am

Hi,

I use shairport-sync which allows the pi to stay in sync with other airplay speakers.

You can send audio from iOS or Android, or use software like airparrot (mac/windows/chromeos) or itunes (mac/windows) etc from a desktop.

I use a B+ with a cheap USB audio device but an A+ on wifi would be ok and I guess most bluetooth speakers have an aux in.

I use audio|acacia from plethra for the multiroom audio as the controller which has sonos like functions where you can have all airplay rooms in sync or set each up as different zones with different music

Bluetooth is just not cut out for multiroom.

Thanks
Dave

Douglas6

Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:41 am

Cwellan wrote:You must be right, but if there is a way, it would be such a cheap installation !
Well yes, since you already have the Bluetooth speakers. But starting from scratch, a pair of powered speakers plus an A+ plus a WiFi dongle, will probably set you back less than a Bluetooth speaker, and give you better resolution, fewer dropouts, ability to synch, and stereo separation.

kaseyk

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:06 pm

Did you ever pull this off? I want to do the same thing.

Cwellan

Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:10 pm

Actually no.

I succeeded to send sound to multiple speakers but the sound was not synchronised between devices.

DarkPrince

Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:40 pm

Okay this comes a bit late, but here we go:

I would also like to experiment with a multi Speaker System, but I'm pretty new to Raspberry Pi.
Could you share your code with us? :)

Thanks!

andybeg

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:12 am

Cwellan wrote:
Actually no.

I succeeded to send sound to multiple speakers but the sound was not synchronised between devices.
can you share your skill?

DougieLawson

Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:28 pm

andybeg wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:12 am
Cwellan wrote:
Actually no.

can you share your skill?
It's unlikely because "Cwellan" hasn't visited the forum for 364 days.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Troubleshooting”