inselwissen

Pi 2 reboots under load and is generally really unstable

Fri May 08, 2015 1:30 pm

I'm at my wit's end here...

I got a Raspberry Pi 2 a few days ago and haven't been able to get it to run properly.
The most "stable" OS I have been able to get going is OpenELEC 5.0.8, which is installed on a Transcend Class 10 SD card (SD Formatter -> Win32Diskimager). It only boots up properly if there is no config.txt on the card, strange as that sounds.
Whenever the Pi is under load (few seconds of video, scrolling through menus too fast, etc.) it stops, the screen fades to black and a few seconds later the menu comes up again, but I can't do anything and I'm stuck in a reboot loop until I unplug the power.

I've also tried OSMC (NOOBS, Windows Installer and Win32DiskImager) and Retropie, but haven't been able to get them to boot up. OSMC only shows a frowny face and Retropie gives me frequent "Segmentation" errrors.

I really don't know what's going on here. I've tried various other SD cards (SanDisk, Toshiba) and all the wall plug PSUs and cables in the house, but nothing helped.

Any ideas?

OttovanZanten

Re: Pi 2 reboots under load and is generally really unstable

Fri May 08, 2015 1:47 pm

What kind of PSU's are you using?

DougieLawson

Fri May 08, 2015 1:48 pm

If you've got any over clocking set up then disable it and see if that improves things.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

inselwissen

Fri May 08, 2015 1:54 pm

The "main" PSU I bought for the Pi is the best-selling PSU on Amazon Germany, a Rydges by OTB 2A, which people in the reviews are raving about, especially for the Pi 2. I've also tried an Asus charger (1,35), a Sony charger (1,5) and a random 1A charger with various cables. The rainbow square warning comes up with the 1A charger and certain other charger/cable-combinations, but otherwise they all behave the same. Reboots and crashes all around.

I'm not overclocking the Pi.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri May 08, 2015 1:55 pm

Hmm, sounds like it might be a dodgy Pi.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “Troubleshooting”