tfv

Re: NOOBS 1_4_0 on RPi 2ModB -- No Joy. Success, anyone?

Wed May 06, 2015 9:02 pm

DougieLawson wrote: 1. Try using a plain Raspbian image not NOOBS
@DougieLawson
Thanks for your patience and that rather obvious hint, and sorry, I am a newbie here.

Step 1 did already work for me, great!

What I have noted is that NOOPS generates a volume name with capital letters, whereas the raspian image uses lowercase. I am just mentioning this since the error message seems to indicate that capital letters are required (and I am aware that this is now exactly the other way round, but there may be a related issue here).

Thanks again,

tfv

DougieLawson

Wed May 06, 2015 9:42 pm

It doesn't matter. Linux doesn't use it and Windows is case insensitive.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

JoGusto

Thu May 14, 2015 11:29 am

drgeoff wrote:
JoGusto wrote:
drgeoff wrote:After you use the SD Formatter, eject the card and put it back in the Windows computer again. Check that the drive size is 8 Gbyte. If it is only a fraction of that, you are not setting the formatting options properly.
Ummm.... read one of my other replies for a more detailed explanation of why this isn't a well-informed opinion. If you run NOOBS, and it succeeds OR fails, it's very likely changed the size of the FAT32 partition on the SD, and so when you stick it into the Windows machine again, it will only show something like 800+MiB available. That's the new size of the FAT32 partition.

I have thoroughly investigated SD Formatter's options, and I can't find any combination that will cause it to be a "fraction" of the drive's size.
You misunderstand what I wrote.

After using the SD formatter with the CORRECT options and ejecting and re-inserting the card, Windows should show the full capacity of the card IRRESPECTIVE of what NOOBS has or has not done to it previously. The word "immediately" was implied as the first word in my previous post, but I think that is obvious.

Yes indeed, if NOOBS has reduced the size of the FAT32 partition and you haven't used the SD Formatter with the proper options then it only formats that smaller partition and Windows will report that small size, not the full nominal size of the card.

So regards SD formatter you won't 'find any combination that will CAUSE it to be a "fraction" of the drive's size'. You will find option combination(s) that LEAVE it as a fraction of the card's size if the card was in such a state before SD formatter acted on it.
Oh, sorry Dr. Geoff, but no, I did not "misunderstand" what you wrote. SD Formatter cannot be made to LEAVE the card in a state where it is just a fraction of the potential capacity. I say you can't make it do that, no matter which options you choose. The only thing that will do what you have said is to just not allow SD Formatter to actually run the format.

You can't end up with a "fraction" of the card's capacity, no matter which options you choose, nor what NOOBS might have done to the size of the FAT32 partition. SD Formatter will give you either the full capacity card, or the full capacity card, minus a "cylinder" roundoff amount (usually a few dozen KB at most in my experience).

Prove me wrong. Go ahead, format a card to full capacity, put NOOBS on it, run NOOBS, then put the card back into Windows. The capacity should be "a fraction" of the 8BG. Then, run SD Formatter with the claimed set of options which cause the SD Formatter to leave the card with a "fraction" of the 8GB -- presumably because SD Formatter only reformatted the FAT32 partition -- and please pray tell what those options are which produce this horrific effect, so we can very clearly tell the first time users to avoid those options.

I'm betting you can't find any such combination of options, because there ain't no such combo. You are just spreading misinformation and computer "voodoo". Post a reply when you have developed a scenario which supports your statement, and which we can attempt to reproduce. Maybe V3.0 did something funky. The "latest version" V4.0 is not capable of producing the results you claim under normal operation.
JoGusto
Embedded Systems Engineer
1 Linux x86 Machine with Quadruple boot | 1 Quad core Windows 7 x64 machine
12 Arduinos (Uno, Pro Mini) | 2 Raspberry Pi 2 Mod B's
a few QNX 6.3.2 PowerPC boards

JoGusto

Thu May 14, 2015 11:41 am

DougieLawson wrote:
tfv wrote: Looking for more ideas ...
1. Try using a plain Raspbian image not NOOBS
2. Try using an 8GB SDCard because we know those work
3. Buy a ready to run NOOBS card from a well trusted retailer
Seems like poor old NOOBS really needs an overhaul to be a little more flexible. Doesn't work with slow cards, doesn't work with SDXC cards... obviously, the Raspbian system can deal with an SDXC device, but NOOBS is using something.... outmoded perhaps? to deal with things like reformatting the partition arrangement and such.

The jump from SDHC to SDXC at the hardware level requires a change from using byte-relative addressing to sector-relative addressing. This is how they (the SD/MMC card manufacturers) break the 32GB addressability barrier without radically changing everything else about the original Samsung MMC/SD command language used by the SDnC controllers. The device driver accessing the SD chip at the physical level would have to detect the XC controller and behave accordingly. I can imagine older builds of the device trees and/or utilities (gpartd etc) won't be able to handle this, and will send byte addresses instead of block (sector) addresses to the SDXC card, causing it to do some pretty goofy stuff.... after the partition table is read, that is (a zero is a zero, no matter how you "scale" it!)
JoGusto

JoGusto

Thu May 14, 2015 11:52 am

One final thing: the SD Formatter does do something VERY odd, in my opinion, considering its purpose. When you put the card into Windows and run SD Formatter after NOOBS has had its way with the card, the initial SD Formatter screen will indicate the capacity of the card based on the FAT32 partition size NOOBS has left it with. That's very disconcerting I should think! "Hey, wait! Why is my card only 823MB??? What gives!"

After running the format, guess what? Ta-Da! SD Formatter shows the actual physical size of the card. That's great, because what SD Formatter does is wipe out the partition table completely, and create a new one, with a single, maximum-sized FAT32 partition [at least, for cards not SDXC -- for those, the exFAT partition type is mandatory according to the SDXC standard, and that causes problems with a lot of devices, and with NOOBS too, apparently]

This is the reason why the SD Formatter is a great go-to tool for anyone preparing their SD card to take NOOBS or an OS image. It wipes out any kind of funky partitioning scheme the previous uses of that card may have imposed, and restores it to "pristine" like-new-from-the-factory formatting.

I just think it is a bug to initially display the card capacity as the amount of storage Windows sees in that first FAT32 partition. It should, instead, look at the drive "geometry" parameters as provided by the embedded memory controller, and use that, since that matches the physical capacity of the card (unless you're unfortunate enough to get a bootleg/fake chip).
JoGusto

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu May 14, 2015 4:12 pm

JoGusto wrote: ...
After running the format, guess what? Ta-Da! SD Formatter shows the actual physical size of the card. That's great, because what SD Formatter does is wipe out the partition table completely, and create a new one, with a single, maximum-sized FAT32 partition [at least, for cards not SDXC -- for those, the exFAT partition type is mandatory according to the SDXC standard, and that causes problems with a lot of devices, and with NOOBS too, apparently]
The "exFAT partition type problem" is not specifically a NOOBS (software) issue. It's a Pi (hardware) issue. AIUI the "built-in", GPU-based bootloader in the SoC can only read FAT32 (& FAT16?) formatted partitions. Since the NOOBS installer has to be bootable by the Pi it needs to reside on a FAT (not exFAT) partition. The SD Formatter tool is provided by the SDA and so, as should be expected, adheres to their standards for SDXC cf. SDHC cards.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

mikerr

Thu May 14, 2015 7:33 pm

JoGusto wrote:PROBLEM SOLVED -- MYSTERY UNRAVELED

Okay, folks, here it is.... NOOBS for some reason will kak, pop, and blow if the SD card is TOO SLOW.

Yep, that's it, in a nutshell, as far as I can discern. The card I was using turned out to be a full 8 GiB, and fully functional from a data integrity standpoint, but only Class 2!

Repeating all of my steps verbatim, but using a Class 10 SD 8GiB card, the difference was like night and day. Success!
So what's the full model of your non-working card - SanDisk 8GB microSD (class2) - I guess that's a pretty old card ?
Sandisk's are generally known to work well with pi, but there are many variants (and of course sandisk is the most heavily cloned brand).

You may have found an incompatible SD card, but it's probably not directly related to speed.
(and sd "class rating" only relates to sequential speed, class 4/6's are often much faster at random access than 10's and therefore better in pi's)

I've used many class 2 (full sized) SD cards with Pi model B's, even an ancient 16MB (not GB) card...

My microSD cards are all newish, though I could delve into the spares box...
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

dliloch

Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:31 am

another interesting observation is that I had a samsung and a microcenter micro sd. I imaged the microcenter sd and
when I tried to restore it to the "same size" 8GB samsung sd it would not fit. Then I took another blank microcenter sd
and it worked fine... so it appears that the size is slightly different between mfgs??? anyone else see this?
-don

rpdom

Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:47 am

dliloch wrote:another interesting observation is that I had a samsung and a microcenter micro sd. I imaged the microcenter sd and
when I tried to restore it to the "same size" 8GB samsung sd it would not fit. Then I took another blank microcenter sd
and it worked fine... so it appears that the size is slightly different between mfgs??? anyone else see this?
-don
The size can be different between individual cards, even from the same manufacturer. Basically the cards are built to a certain capacity but they have faulty blocks. The faulty blocks get mapped out at the final stage and the actual capacity is whatever is left. The size marked on the label is only a "nominal capacity".

pibags

Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:47 pm

Noobs problems

Installation problems with noobs.
After many diffrent ways to do things I met this message

tar: short read
CLOSE

I tried an earlier versions of noobs with data.tar.xz
Before that I had made a formatting with FULL(OverWrite),
FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT ON?
And it worked. Why?posting.php?mode=reply&f=28&t=109443&si ... 154123f807#

ivantesl

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:32 am

I have the same problem. When I try to install any of the OSes , it starts to load but then it gets stuck in creating filesystem (ext4) than It gives me the message "error mounting filesystem" after that. IDK what to do. I formatted everything correctly and extracted everything into my SD card, but when it boots it shows me all of the OSes I can install. BUT I CANT INSTALL ANY OF THEM.

DeepSpace

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:26 pm

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I am having a similar problem to the TS.

I want to use my Raspberry Pi 3 to run a full bitcoin node. Since the blockchain is lager then 128GB I went for a 256GB card and because I did not want to spend to much many the card I have is relatively slow (class 10).
I formatted it according to the SDXC guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... matting.md
It works, it shows up in windows as FAT32 and when I try to boot my Pi I get the rainbow screen and then to click on installing NOOBS but a few seconds into the installation it fails and stops with the error message mentioned by the TS ("Data_Partition: error mounting file system").

Anyone have any pointers from here?
I have sucessfully installed NOOBS with differents SD cards on this Pi, but I need this big one to download the full blockchain.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:39 pm

DeepSpace wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:26 pm
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I am having a similar problem to the TS.

I want to use my Raspberry Pi 3 to run a full bitcoin node. Since the blockchain is lager then 128GB I went for a 256GB card and because I did not want to spend to much many the card I have is relatively slow (class 10).
I formatted it according to the SDXC guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... matting.md
It works, it shows up in windows as FAT32 and when I try to boot my Pi I get the rainbow screen and then to click on installing NOOBS but a few seconds into the installation it fails and stops with the error message mentioned by the TS ("Data_Partition: error mounting file system").

Anyone have any pointers from here?
I have sucessfully installed NOOBS with differents SD cards on this Pi, but I need this big one to download the full blockchain.

Why use the NoobS installer / chooser wasting 1GB+ of space ?

What does it offer over just plain and simple Raspbian Stretch with Desktop ?

Etcher both unzips and creates the SD Card....

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

drgeoff

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:09 pm

Maybe the 256 Gbyte card is a fake.

Return to “Troubleshooting”