JoGusto

NOOBS 1_4_0 on RPi 2ModB -- No Joy. Success, anyone?

Mon May 04, 2015 7:25 pm

I am a noob to RPi, but not a noob in the generic sense. However, I know that even very advanced and experienced users can make "noob" mistakes, so here goes! I am not very Linux-experienced, but have done a lot of *Nix programming (Solaris, AIX, and some C dev on Linux too), and many years of Windows system- and application-level programming.

Soooo... I have purchased two of the wonderful new RPi2 units from Newark Element 14. I've looked at the boards under the microscope... look good visually. I've checked my 2.2 A wall wart, also from Newark. It's producing 5.23v when plugged into the RPi2. I have taken my SanDisk 8GB microSD card -- the one that came with my GoPro Hero 4 -- and I've used the SD Formatter app on Windows, just as suggested in the NOOBS setup "how to" info. I downloaded the "full boat" NOOBS with Raspian etc included, about 700+MB, I did check the SHA-1 hash, the ZIP file is not corrupted, and I did unpack the ZIP and copy the files into the root directory of the SD card.

Why so much detail? To short circuit the "did you do this, did you try that" kind of stuff, the kind which might be obvious oversights.

So, having done all that, I got the rainbow of delight, and the nice, sharp-looking RPi NOOBS screen to come up. I checked my Raspbian OS choice in the checkbox, and then clicked Install.

Ok, I've done that more than once. I've done it about 6 times now, each time trying something a little different. I've been stymied each time by an error. "Data_Partition: error mounting file system" if I select the Data Partition option. Or, "Error creating file system. MKFS.FAT: warning - lower case labels might not work properly with DOS or Windows/mkfs.fat: failed whilst writing FAT/mkfs.fat: 3.0.26 (2014-03-07). Or, another error that I neglected to write down.

It's a bit mysterious to me, because I am quite sure the SD card works "OK", at least, I can copy the 730MB of NOOBS onto it, and have it read back just fine, and I can format the card and copy NOOBS onto it over and over again, and Windows never complains, and the data seems to be on there "good". I can also see that NOOBS itself seems to be booting OK every single time, putting up that nice "choice of OS's" screen, and then trundling off to do the installation when I do my thing and click something. I've tried the Raspbian, Raspbian with Data Partition, or Raspbian-into-Scratch.... none of them work. They all fail to complete. I end up with the ACT light blinking seven times, then a pause, then seven times, etc, until I power cycle. I can hold down SHIFT and get back to NOOBS again, and I can try again, but doing this does go thru an extra error step, saying the settings partition is corrupt, reset it? and I can say Yes, and try again, only to get the same result.

So, has anyone actually done this? Used this version of NOOBS, I mean, on the production RPi2, with an 8GB SanDisk SD card, and had it work? Or used NOOBS at all, on the RPi2, because, as far as I can surmise, the installer is broken somehow.

I'm going to run off and try the NOOBS Lite to see if that works any better... but please, if you have something for me, I'd love to have that Happy Pi Guy experience :D , instead of this :cry: .

Thanks!

JoGusto, San Francisco Area, USA
JoGusto
Embedded Systems Engineer
1 Linux x86 Machine with Quadruple boot | 1 Quad core Windows 7 x64 machine
12 Arduinos (Uno, Pro Mini) | 2 Raspberry Pi 2 Mod B's
a few QNX 6.3.2 PowerPC boards

DougieLawson

Re: NOOBS 1_4_0 on RPi 2ModB -- No Joy. Success, anyone?

Mon May 04, 2015 7:31 pm

Read this sticky thread and see if it solves your problem.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151

If following that doesn't work then post your findings here.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

JoGusto

Mon May 04, 2015 7:42 pm

I had already checked the forums for "stickys" and found the one you referenced regarding booting. That was the 2nd thing I did, after first reading the NOOBS directions and following them to the letter, and experiencing no success. I did not make my forum post until I had done my due diligence, so as to not waste others time unnecessarily.

Note two things:
-- my Pi does indeed boot, so that's not the issue, but thanks for the effort anyway.
-- I was looking for confirmation from someone that they have ACTUALLY used NOOBS 1.4.0 successfully on an RPi 2 Mod B. I await proof from someone else that this installer isn't broken.
JoGusto

metalj

Mon May 04, 2015 7:57 pm

I used noobs on a rpi2 it works. Reformatted SD card tried again still works. Held in shift during boot and reinstalled over 3 times still works.
Backspace 28 times :)

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 04, 2015 9:09 pm

JoGusto wrote: ...
-- I was looking for confirmation from someone that they have ACTUALLY used NOOBS 1.4.0 successfully on an RPi 2 Mod B. I await proof from someone else that this installer isn't broken.
It worked O.K. for me here:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... lPi2B.html
and here:**
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... 14P2B.html
Trev.
** but I haven't yet uploaded the monitor photo's (busy doing other things ;) )
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

DougieLawson

Mon May 04, 2015 9:21 pm

If we look at the number of 2Bs that have been sold in three months, then you can safely assume that at least 85% of users will have booted their 2B with NOOBS 1.4 at some point. (Even I have booted a NOOBS card on my RPI2B, and I found a bug (now solved) in the NOOBS installer.)

The common problems are
1. No HDMI video
2. No keyboard
3. Keyboard with the wrong layout
4. No network
5. No WiFi
6. Small coloured square due to cruddy power supply or cruddy USB-A to microUSB cable
7. No analog audio
8. Analog RCA video scrambled
9. No analog RCA video
10. My 8GB (or 16GB) SDCard is now 60MB, where has my space gone

The sticky post covers most of those FAQs.

If you manage to get NOOBS written to an SDCard then in 99.999% of boots on 99.999% of all models of RPi it will work first go.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

JoGusto

Mon May 04, 2015 9:59 pm

DougieLawson wrote:If we look at the number of 2Bs that have been sold in three months, then you can safely assume that at least 85% of users will have booted their 2B with NOOBS 1.4 at some point. (Even I have booted a NOOBS card on my RPI2B, and I found a bug (now solved) in the NOOBS installer.)

The common problems are
1. No HDMI video
2. No keyboard
3. Keyboard with the wrong layout
4. No network
5. No WiFi
6. Small coloured square due to cruddy power supply or cruddy USB-A to microUSB cable
7. No analog audio
8. Analog RCA video scrambled
9. No analog RCA video
10. My 8GB (or 16GB) SDCard is now 60MB, where has my space gone

The sticky post covers most of those FAQs.

If you manage to get NOOBS written to an SDCard then in 99.999% of boots on 99.999% of all models of RPi it will work first go.
Well, then, how do you explain that I do NOT have any one of the 8 problems the "sticky" covers? yet... I am unable to get either NOOBS (full) or NOOBS Lite (over the network) to successfully install a version of Raspbian? I am wondering why you are obsessing over the issue of "booting" when it's clear that what I have described is no such thing? I have no problem booting NOOBS. I have NO problem booting NOOBS. I have NO PROBLEM BOOTING NOOBS. Is that enough times?

How about some thinking caps on from people who know how this installer works? I can't be the only person in the world with this issue?

I did look at the links of the RPi 2 the other reply posters have provided, with pictures of their Pi's, and it looks just like mine, except the production stamp on the circuit board is different. Mine says "(backwards UR)KCE MC1 1505 / V-OF3 2 - 2".

The Broadcom SoC is marked "BCM2836RIFBG / TE1504 P10 / 449057-43 N3 W" I can't quite make out the photos of the other RPi 2's, nor would I know the significance of the markings. Any one of the hardware designers care to chime in?

I am going to try a different SD card, but would appreciate further suggestions regarding what might be going wrong from folks who have additional perspectives to offer other than "just go look at the 'I can't boot' sticky". I can boot, the NOOBS GUI looks great on my DVI-D monitor thru HDMI, I can select an OS to install (either from the card, or over the network), and it chugs along just fine, displaying slide shows of all the cool RPi features, helpful tips, etc,.... only to fail, typically with MKFS going wrong.

I think since everyone is convinced the NOOBS 1_4_0 installer is bulletproof, and I am pretty convinced my power supply and RPi hardware seems to be working pretty darn well, then, gosh, it must be the SD card. I'll try another one. I am using one that works fine with a Go Pro Hero 4 camera, but, hey, this is Linux.... YMMV as they love to say.

I'll post updates after trying a new SD card.

PS> How many RPi 2's have been sold in the US? And when did they begin production over here?
JoGusto

JoGusto

Mon May 04, 2015 10:01 pm

metalj wrote:I used noobs on a rpi2 it works. Reformatted SD card tried again still works. Held in shift during boot and reinstalled over 3 times still works.
Was it version 1_4_0 ? Thanks for the reply.
JoGusto

JoGusto

Mon May 04, 2015 10:02 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
It worked O.K. for me here <snip>
Thanks for the reply man! I'm frustertated. But thanks. And to Dougie too.
JoGusto

metalj

Mon May 04, 2015 10:58 pm

Yes. I'm sorry your pi won't operate properly.
Backspace 28 times :)

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 04, 2015 11:12 pm

JoGusto wrote:
metalj wrote:I used noobs on a rpi2 it works. Reformatted SD card tried again still works. Held in shift during boot and reinstalled over 3 times still works.
Was it version 1_4_0 ? Thanks for the reply.
Just a quick question, when using SD Formatter did you set "size adjustment ON" and did you check it was FAT32 Format :?:

Some users heve had to format the SD Card in a Digital Camera :!:
Retired disgracefully.....

drgeoff

Mon May 04, 2015 11:31 pm

After you use the SD Formatter, eject the card and put it back in the Windows computer again. Check that the drive size is 8 Gbyte. If it is only a fraction of that, you are not setting the formatting options properly.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 05, 2015 8:17 am

Having re-read your O.P. ...
Ok, I've done that more than once. I've done it about 6 times now, each time trying something a little different. I've been stymied each time by an error. "Data_Partition: error mounting file system" if I select the Data Partition option. Or, "Error creating file system. MKFS.FAT: warning - lower case labels might not work properly with DOS or Windows/mkfs.fat: failed whilst writing FAT/mkfs.fat: 3.0.26 (2014-03-07). Or, another error that I neglected to write down.
JoGusto, San Francisco Area, USA
... one of those errors is associated with a known NOOBS/P2B firmware issue with some SD cards (not those I use):
https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/issues/230
and is under investigation. It might be worth adding the details of your problem card to that issue (for info.). As a "side note" adding a data partition is a "NOOBS advanced option" intended to be used on larger (eg. >8Gb) cards where two or more O.S.'s are to be installed requiring access to "shared data". As such it is not one used/chosen by most users.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

JoGusto

Tue May 05, 2015 11:46 am

metalj wrote:Yes. I'm sorry your pi won't operate properly.
Thanks, metalJ... the story ends well... read on.
JoGusto

JoGusto

Tue May 05, 2015 12:17 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: Just a quick question, when using SD Formatter did you set "size adjustment ON" and did you check it was FAT32 Format :?:
Some users heve had to format the SD Card in a Digital Camera :!:
Hi, Fruit, thanks for the help... yes, I did size adjustment On and Off... I actually believe that there is a LOT of folklore and misinformation surrounding the mysteries of "formatting an SD card". The size adjustment feature has variously been described as "counteracting something Windows does" and so forth.

That isn't so. When the SD card presents itself as a "mass storage device" there is a bunch of machinations (at various hardware and software levels) to "fit into" the legacy of physical hard drives, which started out having Cylinder, Head, and Sector addressing. I'm sure this is familiar to our old IBM'ers on this thread :-). The legacy of CHS addressing lives on in the various FAT formats (FAT16, FAT32): even though the SD/MMC interface doesn't use it, the FAT formats do.

So, when a partition is formatted, you can end up with a total block count for the partition size which does not equate to an integral number of "cylinders" (a cylinder is one head-stepper position in a hard disk, a collection of tracks on the various platters accessed by the set of read/write heads). If you format the disk this way, the CHS-derived calculation for the size of the disk will not "jive" with the block-addressing size. Most OS's and devices don't care about CHS anymore, but some utilities -- especially file system checkers -- do, and so the SD Formatter gives you the option to force the block size to be a multiple of the simulated size in Cylinders, and by doing so actually discards some space at the end of the flash drive. This avoids problems such as this: http://superuser.com/questions/738301/t ... r-mismatch

One thing the SD Formatter could do differently from the format partition utility in your favorite OS is to set the allocation size ("cluster" size) to a multiple of the NAND flash block size. This optimizes wear leveling and write operation efficiency, and requires the formatter to dig down into the device and query it as to its SD-ish nature. That's something normal format programs don't do. I'm not sure the SD Formatter does it either, but it wouldn't be worth its salt if it didn't, IMO.

For the sake of perpetuating correct information regarding NAND-flash-based SD cards and how they can and do support various file systems, this is a good resource: http://www.compuphase.com/mbr_fat.htm. I suggest the engineering types responsible for guiding the content creation in the documentation, and who implement installers and ports of OS utilities dealing with such things, review that page, as it is very, very meaningful (to quote Me and Mr. Jones -- Counting Crows anyone?) 8-)

Continue reading... I have solved my problem and revealed an important oversight in NOOBS' design!
JoGusto

JoGusto

Tue May 05, 2015 12:34 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:Having re-read your O.P. ...
As a "side note" adding a data partition is a "NOOBS advanced option" intended to be used on larger (eg. >8Gb) cards where two or more O.S.'s are to be installed requiring access to "shared data". As such it is not one used/chosen by most users.
Trev.
As an engineer who's shipped literally hundreds of thousands of units of shrink-wrapped Windows software (no snickers now, please! :lol: ) this "side note" seems to be excusing a failure of the installer because I may have chosen an option most users haven't used. If this is indeed the meaning of the comment, then forgive me please if I say "Rubbish! If it doesn't work, don't offer it! If it is offered, then make sure it works! Who the h-e-double-toothpicks does the QA around here anyway!" :shock:

What I mean to say is, well, NOOBS is the noobs' first experience with the machine. As such, it should be completely rock solid. There is no room for "advanced options that maybe don't work". That's just my opinion but it's a strong one and I think completely justified. After all, hasn't the Foundation shipped "millions" of these things? The attitude that something maybe doesn't work, because it is an "advanced option", isn't very palatable for anyone committed to quality and a good customer experience. I think the customer deserves that 100% great-every-time experience to the extent that it is within your power to deliver it (cost and time constraints permitting).

Another thing that is a bit funny in your comment is this notion that the "Data Partition" option is meant for larger cards. That may well be, but the size calculation on the selection screen indicated that I could fit the choice onto the card, and so it should at that point work correctly, regardless of whether it "makes sense"... I actually think I could have chosen 2 OS's and that Data Partition option... but I might be wrong. And, what if the user has a 32 GiB card? Why isn't there something like a sizing option? or maybe a choice of a 512 MiB and a 2 or 4 GiB Data Partition? Choices would be good... maybe offer a generic Data Partition option which, after selecting it and clicking Install, shows you how much you can dedicate, and allows you to select a size no bigger than that.
JoGusto

JoGusto

Tue May 05, 2015 12:52 pm

drgeoff wrote:After you use the SD Formatter, eject the card and put it back in the Windows computer again. Check that the drive size is 8 Gbyte. If it is only a fraction of that, you are not setting the formatting options properly.
Ummm.... read one of my other replies for a more detailed explanation of why this isn't a well-informed opinion. If you run NOOBS, and it succeeds OR fails, it's very likely changed the size of the FAT32 partition on the SD, and so when you stick it into the Windows machine again, it will only show something like 800+MiB available. That's the new size of the FAT32 partition.

I have thoroughly investigated SD Formatter's options, and I can't find any combination that will cause it to be a "fraction" of the drive's size. I still have some questions about its abilities, which I intend to investigate today, mostly for my own edification -- I am building an embedded system based on CentOs which will boot from SD, just like the Pi, via some hardware hacks in a Xilinx FPGA -- but I fear there is also a lot of disinformation in the Pi world regarding these cards, and I would like to contribute to dispelling false notions.

Clearly, one problem is the fact that SD is a bit of voodou for folks used to good old PATA or SATA hard disks. They're quite different, have a very different interface and command set, and operate quite differently internally, with their intelligent wear leveling and very large natural block sizes. Another problem is the rampant counterfeiting that comes with the benefits of a trade relationship with China. While the Chinese do a wonderful job with low-cost manufacturing, this capability also enables the few unscrupulous endeavors to make counterfeits, substituting smaller NAND chips, or grey market rejects and marginals, for the proper sized and spec'd chips. This results in Class 10 chips which are really Class 2 -- and which will NOT work with NOOBS! see below -- and 8GiB chips which are only 4 GiB in actual size, so writes eventually go into space and data disappears.

What is needed is for RPi Foundation to address this problem head on, in a manner similar to what Linux distros have done: include a "memory" test right up front, at the install screen, so the user can test the SD card. It would be best if the NOOBS download page actually had a stand-alone SD speed-and-capacity test utility for MacOs, Windows, and Linux, so the user could check their cards before trying NOOBS, or, just tell the user they MUST buy NOOBS preinstalled on the nice 8GiB cards you folks sell, for a very, very reasonable! price -- holy cow that is a good price! :) -- or be prepared for a possible world of hurt and frustration.

One bit of advice seems to be: if the SD card seems like a really good bargain, it probably isn't! I read so many stories, in these pages, and elsewhere, of folks buying various thumb drive or memcard products, only to be burned by counterfeits. There are some good exposés where smart hacker types have disassembled these cards to reveal the villainy inside. It's a minefield, unfortunately, and NOOBS currently isn't properly equipped to protect the user from these onslaughts and hazards.
JoGusto

JoGusto

Tue May 05, 2015 1:13 pm

PROBLEM SOLVED -- MYSTERY UNRAVELED

Okay, folks, here it is.... NOOBS for some reason will kak, pop, and blow if the SD card is TOO SLOW.

Yep, that's it, in a nutshell, as far as I can discern. The card I was using turned out to be a full 8 GiB, and fully functional from a data integrity standpoint, but only Class 2!

Repeating all of my steps verbatim, but using a Class 10 SD 8GiB card, the difference was like night and day. Success!

I can imagine if 99% of Pi users just buy the preloaded NOOBS card, they'll have no trouble at all. And, for most others, just buying a recent SD card in their local store, and then downloading NOOBS to it, same thing... they're likely to get at least Class 4 by default as the cheapest thing hanging on the rack.

But, for those who are going to try this using the "other" way -- make our own SD cards from stuff we already have lying around -- the documentation should be a little more circumspect about "most SD cards should work" and state it rather plainly: that SD card universe is a minefield, older cards you might just have lying around are quite likely not to be fast enough, and that NOOBS isn't currently well-equipped to handle even slow SD cards that actually work properly otherwise.

The only other explanation that I can come up with is that the NOOBS install program, or script, is making use of utilities that still have bugs with regard to how they handle the SD card particulars, and whether they work or not depends not on the SD card being correct, but on whether the SD card provokes the bug.

If someone wishes to debug this problem -- as in, the lead engineer on the NOOBS installer script/process -- I would be happy to mail the actual SD card to them, directly, so as to enable them to reproduce my problem exactly. Just let me know. I'd prefer an email to the address "gustav DOPE jorge DUMBO work AT gmail DITTO com" the words beginning with D should be substituted with a dot.

Cheers, everyone, and sincere thanks to those who cared enough to reply to my OP, even if the help didn't get me to the solution... I appreciate the effort. I will try to give back with some further investigations, which I may append to this post, or find a more suitable place for.
JoGusto

drgeoff

Tue May 05, 2015 2:46 pm

JoGusto wrote:
drgeoff wrote:After you use the SD Formatter, eject the card and put it back in the Windows computer again. Check that the drive size is 8 Gbyte. If it is only a fraction of that, you are not setting the formatting options properly.
Ummm.... read one of my other replies for a more detailed explanation of why this isn't a well-informed opinion. If you run NOOBS, and it succeeds OR fails, it's very likely changed the size of the FAT32 partition on the SD, and so when you stick it into the Windows machine again, it will only show something like 800+MiB available. That's the new size of the FAT32 partition.

I have thoroughly investigated SD Formatter's options, and I can't find any combination that will cause it to be a "fraction" of the drive's size.
You misunderstand what I wrote.

After using the SD formatter with the CORRECT options and ejecting and re-inserting the card, Windows should show the full capacity of the card IRRESPECTIVE of what NOOBS has or has not done to it previously. The word "immediately" was implied as the first word in my previous post, but I think that is obvious.

Yes indeed, if NOOBS has reduced the size of the FAT32 partition and you haven't used the SD Formatter with the proper options then it only formats that smaller partition and Windows will report that small size, not the full nominal size of the card.

So regards SD formatter you won't 'find any combination that will CAUSE it to be a "fraction" of the drive's size'. You will find option combination(s) that LEAVE it as a fraction of the card's size if the card was in such a state before SD formatter acted on it.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue May 05, 2015 3:58 pm

JoGusto wrote:PROBLEM SOLVED -- MYSTERY UNRAVELED

Okay, folks, here it is.... NOOBS for some reason will kak, pop, and blow if the SD card is TOO SLOW.

Yep, that's it, in a nutshell, as far as I can discern. The card I was using turned out to be a full 8 GiB, and fully functional from a data integrity standpoint, but only Class 2!

Repeating all of my steps verbatim, but using a Class 10 SD 8GiB card, the difference was like night and day. Success!

I can imagine if 99% of Pi users just buy the preloaded NOOBS card, they'll have no trouble at all. And, for most others, just buying a recent SD card in their local store, and then downloading NOOBS to it, same thing... they're likely to get at least Class 4 by default as the cheapest thing hanging on the rack.

But, for those who are going to try this using the "other" way -- make our own SD cards from stuff we already have lying around -- the documentation should be a little more circumspect about "most SD cards should work" and state it rather plainly: that SD card universe is a minefield, older cards you might just have lying around are quite likely not to be fast enough, and that NOOBS isn't currently well-equipped to handle even slow SD cards that actually work properly otherwise.

The only other explanation that I can come up with is that the NOOBS install program, or script, is making use of utilities that still have bugs with regard to how they handle the SD card particulars, and whether they work or not depends not on the SD card being correct, but on whether the SD card provokes the bug.

If someone wishes to debug this problem -- as in, the lead engineer on the NOOBS installer script/process -- I would be happy to mail the actual SD card to them, directly, so as to enable them to reproduce my problem exactly. Just let me know. I'd prefer an email to the address "gustav DOPE jorge DUMBO work AT gmail DITTO com" the words beginning with D should be substituted with a dot.

Cheers, everyone, and sincere thanks to those who cared enough to reply to my OP, even if the help didn't get me to the solution... I appreciate the effort. I will try to give back with some further investigations, which I may append to this post, or find a more suitable place for.
Odd, never heard of a problem with class 2 cards...in fact not sure when I last saw a class 2 card. I'll flag this to the SD card/NOOBS experts at Pi Towers to see if they have any comment.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

W. H. Heydt

Tue May 05, 2015 4:04 pm

JoGusto wrote:I had already checked the forums for "stickys" and found the one you referenced regarding booting. That was the 2nd thing I did, after first reading the NOOBS directions and following them to the letter, and experiencing no success. I did not make my forum post until I had done my due diligence, so as to not waste others time unnecessarily.

Note two things:
-- my Pi does indeed boot, so that's not the issue, but thanks for the effort anyway.
I've used it, both for running a Pi2B and to demo loading Raspbian at Jams on a Pi2B. In fact, there is a Pi2B right next to me at this moment with a NOOBS 1.4.0 card in it that has been running just fine for...15 days, 19 hours. (My 7 year old grandson like to play Minecraft on it.)

Couple of more notes...

Glad you solved the problem. Good to know that card speed can be an issue.

Prior to your posting that you solved your problem, I saw that you are in SF (I'm in Vallejo). I was going to suggest bringing at least your SD card to a Silicon Valley Jam (3rd Saturday of each month at the Computer History Museum. most of the afternoon....send me a message for any more details if you need them) so Jim Manley or I could take a look at it to try to debug the issue. We could, at least, have tested the card is a different Pi2B, and (if you brought it) your Pi with a different card.

Note that THIS month the Jam will actually be more or less held at the San Mateo Maker Faire (Saturday, 16 May). We'll all tend to find each other randomly (amid some 10s of thousands of people) and probably wind up finding a quite corner to sit around and chat with such RPF people as make it there...at least 3 of whom, so far as I know, are expected.

tfv

Wed May 06, 2015 2:59 pm

I am experiencing the exact same problem and error message with a newly bought RPi and SD card from Pollin which arrived today.
I have successfully used Noops with an old card and and old Pi yesterday.
The SD card is a YellowFrog micro SDHC micro SDXC 32 GB which sells as part number 723153 from Pollin and is shown there to be a standard accessory to the RPi.

Any ideas how to solve the issue other than to return the card?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 06, 2015 3:50 pm

tfv wrote:I am experiencing the exact same problem and error message with a newly bought RPi and SD card from Pollin which arrived today.
I have successfully used Noops with an old card and and old Pi yesterday.
The SD card is a YellowFrog micro SDHC micro SDXC 32 GB which sells as part number 723153 from Pollin and is shown there to be a standard accessory to the RPi.
Any ideas how to solve the issue other than to return the card?
Given that you appear to be using a uSDXC card, rather than a uSDHC card (they are different) you may be falling foul of "pitfall 18":
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=83372&p=651745#p677748
Whilst that is usually associated with cards >32Gb it may apply to (some) 32Gb uSDXC cards too given, if I'm interpreting things correctly, that like 4Gb is the "transition size" between SD and SDHC, 32Gb, IIRC, is the equivalent for SDHC and SDXC. Unfortunately I cannot check that myself as the only 32Gb card I have is uSDHC, class 10 and has given me no problems.
Trev.

tfv

Wed May 06, 2015 6:32 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote: Given that you appear to be using a uSDXC card, rather than a uSDHC card (they are different) you may be falling foul of "pitfall 18":
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=83372&p=651745#p677748
Whilst that is usually associated with cards >32Gb it may apply to (some) 32Gb uSDXC cards too given, if I'm interpreting things correctly, that like 4Gb is the "transition size" between SD and SDHC, 32Gb, IIRC, is the equivalent for SDHC and SDXC. Unfortunately I cannot check that myself as the only 32Gb card I have is uSDHC, class 10 and has given me no problems.
Trev.
@FTrevorGowen
Thanks for your immediate reply. I have tried the remedies described in the quoted post (reformatting and then using FAT32 format), but I am sorry to report that the error remains unchanged.

Fat32 Format suggested different sector sizes, I have chosen the default value.

Looking for more ideas ...

DougieLawson

Wed May 06, 2015 7:51 pm

tfv wrote: Looking for more ideas ...
1. Try using a plain Raspbian image not NOOBS
2. Try using an 8GB SDCard because we know those work
3. Buy a ready to run NOOBS card from a well trusted retailer

Return to “Troubleshooting”