OttovanZanten

Customer Support

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:07 pm

How to reach it? Can't find it on their site.

gordon77

Re: Customer Support

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:08 pm

Who did you buy it from?

B.Goode

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:42 pm

If you mean you want to deal directly with the Raspberry Pi Foundation, then in the footer of every webpage at http://www.raspberrypi.org there is a link labelled Contact us which leads here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/contact-us/

The first paragraph of that link reads:
If you have questions about the Raspberry Pi project, please check the help section and search the forums before mailing us. There are not many of us and we are very busy, and although we do try our best to respond to emails, many of the answers to the questions we are asked are out there already.

OttovanZanten

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:40 pm

Yes I've seen that. I was just curious if there's a place I could ask staff a technical question if it's something that can't be found in the forums or stackoverflow.

DougieLawson

Fri May 01, 2015 12:04 am

Post the question on here and we'll find someone who can help or find someone closer to the RPF who can help.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

drgeoff

Fri May 01, 2015 12:28 am

DougieLawson wrote:Post the question on here and we'll find someone who can help or find someone closer to the RPF who can help.
I think he has already has his money's worth here over the last couple of days. :)

OttovanZanten

Fri May 01, 2015 9:30 am

If you're refering to my other topic, yes rpidom helped me to get my SD card working in Windows again, but nobody has been able to help me with my Pi problem.

Rattus told me to dmesg and share the results and nobody replied to the results I posted.
Then he told me that the not-lit red light could mean something, but I never mentioned anything about a red light not being lit, so I think he just posted in the wrong topic.

Then somebody told me to measure TP1 and TP2 but within 1 minute somebody noticed that those points don't exist on the Pi2 anymore.
Then somebody told me about the commonly known low voltage square in the corner.

So no not much helpful info from this forum yet. I've read every topic with similar problems but nothing in there either. My topic has been on the top of the page only because I kept adding (hopefully) relevant information to help with the diagnostics, but I've mainly been talking to myself.

So I wouldn't say I'd gotten 'my money's worth'. It's cool that people are reading and thinking along, and I don't want to be ungrateful, but most info people posted I had already found out within the first minute of googling.
But there should be somebody I could reach with specific technical questions right? Most companies have some sort of technical assistance.
I haven't learned anything here that could have been the problem with my Pi and it's been silent for a while now.
Last edited by OttovanZanten on Fri May 01, 2015 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

OttovanZanten

Fri May 01, 2015 9:43 am

DougieLawson wrote:Post the question on here and we'll find someone who can help or find someone closer to the RPF who can help.
Then would you be willing to take another look at my problem to see who can help me with my specific problem?

It gives me waiting for /dev/ to be populated and then I/O errors after which it doesn't boot about half the times I try to boot it when I use a power supply that is good enough to power other Pi's and Pi2's, but not good enough for mine.

And when I use a shorter cable I don't get low voltage notifications anymore, but it still won't boot and gives me errors 20% of tries.

Is this a power issue? If so then my Pi is faulty. If it can be caused by something else I may try to investigate more.
Last edited by OttovanZanten on Fri May 01, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Fri May 01, 2015 9:51 am

OttovanZanten wrote:Most companies have some sort of technical assistance.
I haven't learned anything here that could have been the problem with my Pi and it's been silent for a while now.
How much did you pay for your Raspberry Pi?
How much have you paid for your Raspberry Pi Technical Assistance contract?
How much have I been paid for 13,344 posts on the forum?
What part of volunteering do you not understand?
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

OttovanZanten

Fri May 01, 2015 9:59 am

DougieLawson wrote:
OttovanZanten wrote:Most companies have some sort of technical assistance.
How much did you pay for your Raspberry Pi?
How much have you paid for your Raspberry Pi Technical Assistance contract?
How much have I been paid for 13,344 posts on the forum?
What part of volunteering do you not understand?
40 euro's and 30 euro's (so far) in broken SD cards
Nothing, that's usually included in the purchase price
I don't know what kind of arrangement you have with the Raspberry guys?
No need to get offended. I don't know what went wrong in the communication, it's just that the other guy implied I'd had plenty of help but I hadn't actually recieved any info that was helpful to my specific problem.

As I just stated, I really appreciate all the help and don't want to be ungrateful, but it's not been helpful so far.
I don't see why you need to get all mad.

This topic wasn't meant as a 'F these raspberry forum guys' topic or anything, I was just wondering why, unlike every other hardware company I have ever dealt with, the Raspberry guys don't have any customer service or anything. That's a normal question right?

DougieLawson

Fri May 01, 2015 10:08 am

OttovanZanten wrote: Nothing, that's usually included in the purchase price
BZZZT! WRONG!

You don't get that support on a laptop, you get a warranty against defective parts and a free DVD (or recovery partition) so you can re-install Windows when it's broken.

If you want a service contract for a laptop expect to pay €100s or €1000s per year for it.

Your Raspberry Pi has a parts warranty. If you think it's defective take that up with your retailer.

The SDCards are probably not broken, reformat them in your camera or in a tablet and you'll be ready to start with a fresh copy of NOOBS.

The amount I've been paid for my 13,347 posts is exactly the same as the amount you've been paid for your 36 posts.

OttovanZanten

Fri May 01, 2015 10:19 am

I've read every post I made thoroughly and I couldn't find what offends you so much.
I got a form of autism and when I go into a forum I always tend to piss of British people.
I don't know if it's my autism or a cultural thing, but again I did not mean to offend you.

Oh yeah I made a mistake there. I read that part a bit too quickly, it's not actually a contract.
It's just that normally if you buy a product the guys who make it are willing to help you with your problems.
It's not like it's mandatory, but it's generally seen as good customer service.
So yeah technically I was wrong, but I don't think I was wrong in expecting to find some contact info for technical problems.

And this is the first time somebody's actually mentioned that the SD cards are probably not the problem. I've been fishing for info on that for the last days now on several forums and boards. Thanks for your help albeit a bit on the aggressive side to my taste.

Also what does the amount you're getting paid has to do with anything? I get it you're a good guy because you're helping people for free, but it's not relevant. It's not like I'm implying that, since you're RPI staff, you should have helped me more or anything. I'm just asking for a way to contact technical support so I don't have to bother you guys anymore. Because clearly, after the first page of my previous topic filled up, the interest in my problem dried up. Which is totally understandable, since the other thousands of people are easier and less time-demanding to help.

ame

Fri May 01, 2015 10:56 am

Contact the vendor you bought it from. Tell them it's defective. Ask for a refund or a replacement.

OttovanZanten

Fri May 01, 2015 11:56 am

Yea I tried to make sure it's actually a faulty Pi before sending it back, but I guess that's all there's left to do right now.
It's prob cheaper for the RPi Foundation to throw it away then to spend more then 20 minutes troubleshooting.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri May 01, 2015 12:27 pm

OttovanZanten wrote:Yea I tried to make sure it's actually a faulty Pi before sending it back, but I guess that's all there's left to do right now.
It's prob cheaper for the RPi Foundation to throw it away then to spend more then 20 minutes troubleshooting.
20min support time is about $15 for someone cheap. Profits made by the Foundation per Pi are unknown but are going to be in the region of $2 or thereabouts.

I think you can see from that why support is not included in the price, although the funding for this forum (not payment to contributors, but bandwidth costs, website maintenance costs) does come from Pi sales.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

pluggy

Fri May 01, 2015 12:37 pm

jamesh wrote: 20min support time is about $15 for someone cheap.
Maybe I should put my prices up, I've been accused of being too expensive at £20 per hour (about $10 for 20 minutes)

But this is the impoverished NW of England......
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

jamesh

Fri May 01, 2015 1:03 pm

pluggy wrote:
jamesh wrote: 20min support time is about $15 for someone cheap.
Maybe I should put my prices up, I've been accused of being too expensive at £20 per hour (about $10 for 20 minutes)

But this is the impoverished NW of England......
My figure would include office space and other standard overheads for an employee.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

pluggy

Fri May 01, 2015 1:15 pm

I do a local call out in that for my pensioner customers for 2 hours minimum. ( OK, I'll come clean, most of my customers are pensioners ).
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

OttovanZanten

Fri May 01, 2015 3:03 pm

Around here those prices wouldn't be very low.
Every nerd here fixes PC's as a little side job, so it's usually easy to find somebody who works for 15 euro's for the first hour and 10 euro's for every consecutive hour. This is sadly also the rate people expect me to work for xD But it still beats working in a super market.

Okay it might be worth spending more then about 20 minutes, but when they recieve my faulty Pi they will notice straight away that the SD reader isn't put on straight. I just noticed that once I got a new one and the current one doesn't require me to mod my case in order to be able to insert SD cards without bending something. So in this specific case they won't spend too much time looking at it xD

But back on topic... If I decide to build pi-powered setups for more customers (current one will be a NAS for a customer who hopefully doens't mind that I kept him waiting for 10 days already :S) and I recieve another potentially faulty Pi.
There aren't any official channels for communication about specific problems?

rpdom

Fri May 01, 2015 5:44 pm

OttovanZanten wrote:But back on topic... If I decide to build pi-powered setups for more customers (current one will be a NAS for a customer who hopefully doens't mind that I kept him waiting for 10 days already :S) and I recieve another potentially faulty Pi.
There aren't any official channels for communication about specific problems?
The official line is that your contract is with your supplier. If you have a faulty Pi it is the problem of wherever you bought it from.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation do not manufacture or sell the Raspberry Pi themselves. They licence the design and the rights to manufacture and sell.

jamesh

Mon May 04, 2015 5:40 pm

Also worth noting that the failure rate for Pi's is very very low - I believe it's much lower than the industry average. So getting multiple defective Pi's out of the box is very very rare. They are all tested on the production line, and any failures are checked to see why they have failed. When I visited the factory, they showed me the box of failures, there were about 10-15 in it. I said that wasn't to bad for a days production (8k IRC), they said that was for the last week.....

OttovanZanten

Mon May 04, 2015 10:45 pm

That's sounds quite impressive.

I just assumed there might be an official channel where you could ask technical questions or about hardware or sd card compatibility or other specific stuff. I know that it's a foundation so it works differently and the community is gathering and collecting a lot of info, but some specific info can be hard to come by and technical assistance is just something you kinda expect on a website that markets the hardware.
But if it was always intended to be like this where you have to rely more on the community then on the manufacturers then that's cool too I guess xD

And no I don't think I have 2 faulty Pi's in a row. The odds would be very slim and I suspect that the specific SD cards I like to use are compatible (they are on the compatible list) but there are probably cards available that function just a little better.

ame

Tue May 05, 2015 12:11 am

OttovanZanten wrote:I just assumed there might be an official channel where you could ask technical questions or about hardware or sd card compatibility or other specific stuff.
This is it. Fire away.

There are Pi design engineers here, and Foundation staff. What could be more official? The cool thing about asking your question here is that everyone gets to see what the problems are, and the solution.

Did you need your own special hotline for your own problem and get a personalised response?

OttovanZanten

Tue May 05, 2015 9:20 am

This is not about how I want it to be, it's about how I assumed it would be based on any other company I've ever dealt with. I just posted that if that's not how this Foundation works that's cool too, I just wanted to know, not whine.

And since it was nearly impossible to get an answer in my other topic I assumed it was mainly users here.
You guys act like you just post here and the answers come flying your way, but that's not how I experienced it so I tried a different route. Now I know there's not a different route and I'm not gonna get any answers from this forum or the official site so I'll just depend on the local community.

If a mod reads this please lock this topic.
Last edited by OttovanZanten on Tue May 05, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Tue May 05, 2015 9:28 am

OttovanZanten wrote:This is not about how I want it to be, it's about how I assumed it would be based on any other company I've ever dealt with.
Name one. Because it's not how the mainstream computer industry has ever worked. When I worked for IBM's tech support everything was paid for from the monthly licence charge for the software and lots of things (off the mainframe) only got support with a fully paid tech support contract.

Return to “Troubleshooting”