rpdom

Re: A few RPI2 problems.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:15 pm

OttovanZanten wrote:But after using it in the Pi once I can néver use it again as I could use it before?
Yes you can. You just need to repartition and format it so Windows can see the whole card. :)

OttovanZanten

Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:27 pm

It disappeared pretty quickly, but it kept looping the same errors I usually get when it doesn't boot.
So it seems that at a certain crucial point it didn't have enough power and it couldn't read certain sectors of the SD card and when the power is back to normal it keeps trying and trying to read the SD card but it keeps failing.
Sometimes after waiting for a long time (5 min or so?) it gets in but usually my patience runs out after a while and when I do come back after 10 minutes sometimes it still hasn't booted.

OttovanZanten

Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:28 pm

rpdom wrote:
OttovanZanten wrote:But after using it in the Pi once I can néver use it again as I could use it before?
Yes you can. You just need to repartition and format it so Windows can see the whole card. :)
But, like I posted before, formatting doesn't work and Windows can't repartition it.
I can only delete the large second partition, but not create a new one or enlarge the first one.
I can only write an .img file to the SD, but other then that I can't do anything with the large unused chunk of space.

OttovanZanten

Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:14 pm

A little more detailed information
If the square is there for like a second or slightly longer it hangs up at
'Waiting for /dev to be populated'
and then it starts with the stuff I posted in my first post. The I/O errors and everything.

However if the square is gone after half a second it proceeds to boot normally.
So either way there are low-power squares now. Whether it boots or not.
I'm pretty sure this is new, so the new 'better' and more expensive cable might not have been an upgrade. (despite it being more expensive it's thinner and feels flimsier. The USB plug protrutes further out of the plastic then most and it's got a lot of resistance when you push it into the charger. It just feels very cheapo)
However this did help me pinpoint the problem I think. Power.

More info after I replace the adapter tomorrow.
Sorry for spamming so many messages and thanks a lot for all the help so far :)

rpdom

Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:24 pm

Formatting with the SD Card Association formatter using the full format and overwrite options will "recover" the full space on the card.
Otherwise you can partition it in a Pi (or any other Linux system) using fdisk or cfdisk or (g)parted and format with mkfs.vfat.

OttovanZanten

Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:49 am

Thanks a lot, that fixed it :) Now I can use my 4GB Card again :)

Now off to get that new adapter, woo

Edit: No rainbow-square so far! Looks like I had a faulty adapter afterall :)

OttovanZanten

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:16 am

Nope the problem is still here.

What do you guys think I should do next?

Also...
If there is a low-power problem. Does it h'ave to be the adapter? Or can it be the Pi or even something else?

Should I try something else or go back to the store a third time and return the Pi?

Yaaaaaaaay
it's working for once
I got better quality cables but they are too long
my cheapo Asus tablet cable works just fine!

I should tell them to stop selling people those long cables. No wonder everybody keeps returning them.

OttovanZanten

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:16 pm

So it doesn't boot 55-60% of the time but now it boots 80% of the time with the short Asus Tablet cable.

Is this normal?
I still get I/O errors after it hangs @ 'waiting for /dev/ to be fully populated'

Can somebody tell me if this is an SD card related thing?
It's seems very possible to me that after the 80 boots I did in the last days I damaged my SD card.

Also I went back to the store for a fourth time to tell them what was the problem and to return a cable.
They would barely believe me. They have sold dozens if not more Pi's with the same adapter, the same cables (either the first one I got or the second) and not a single Pi has had this problem.

So I'm pretty sure my Pi is too nitpicky about this.
I doublechecked, with the first cable that had these troubles I did Not get the low power notification, however it did react as if it had low power. It would not recognize data on the SD card. So maybe the low-power notification should pop up at a sliiiightly higher voltage then 4.65V. At least on my Pi.

So I'm 99% sure it's a Faulty Pi, but it usually works with that very short USB cable. (Yay even more extensioncords in my TV cabinet -,-)

OttovanZanten

Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:50 pm

Fantastic. A new symptom

If I use the reboot command it will give me a much higher chance of I/O errors. So far about 66% of the time this happens.

(Normal boots still work 80% of the time)

It's going back to the store tomorrow. Will let you guys know if the new Pi works properly.

Edit:
In case somebody's got the same problems...
When measuring PP3 and PP7 on the bottom it showed that, even when it failed to boot because of what seems like a low power problem, the voltage stays neatly between 5.00 and 5.05 Volts. So I'm 99% sure it gets enough power, the SD card reader is just damaged.

And my last edit.
I got a new pi, the SD card reader is actually sitting straight and the Pi goes into the case easier. Also it boots quicker (it doesn't have to wait for waiting for /dev/ to be populated) and it boots every single time.
Even when I do sudo reboot.

So woo, it was just a faulty Pi.

I hope this horror story helps somebody some day xD

OttovanZanten

Sat May 02, 2015 9:59 am

I've inserted a brand new SD card in my brand new Pi with a brand new download of the Raspbian build.
I used my new (2nd) adapter and the fourth cable I tried which is one of few that didn't give me low-voltage notifications in my previous overly-sensitive Pi.

So everything has been changed. Still it does not always boot. It has a 20% fail rate. (Instead of a 50% fail rate with the previous)
I also tried the old card in the new Pi and I still had a 20% fail rate, so it's not the SD card that made the difference.

So is the only conclusion I can make that either I am cursed or there is Massssive electromagnetic interference? I can't think of anything else. Except 2 faulty Pi's in a row but that seems even less likely.

joan

Sat May 02, 2015 12:19 pm

There is no evidence of a fault at all.

There are symptoms of a poor power supply, either the power supply itself or the cable between the power supply and the Pi.

Have you a meter? Can you measure the voltage between pins 4 and 6? Preferably by connecting an insulated wire to pin 4, another insulated wire from pin 6 and measuring the voltage between the wires (pin 4 is 5V, pin 6 is ground).

There is also evidence that your case is distorting the SD card. Perhaps best not to use the case if that is so.

OttovanZanten

Sat May 02, 2015 12:22 pm

The case wás distorting the SD card when I had the old Pi in there because the SD reader wasn't put on straight
Now this is not the case.
What do you mean with 'there is evidence'? On what did you base this suspicion?

I understand you didn't read the entire topic, but if you had you would have known that the power supply is absolutely not the problem. People have been repeating the 3 most common problems for a while now in every board I've asked about this problem so I've done everything I can to check those things. More then you could reasonably expect. I've spent over 10 hours messing with the power supply.

I did measure PP3 and PP7 on the old Pi and the Voltage never dropped below 5.01 volts as far as I could tell.
I can measure pin 4 and 6 if people will then believe it's not the power supply. Should I test it while it's powered or off?

joan

Sat May 02, 2015 1:17 pm

On the old Pi you damaged the SD card reader.

There is no evidence that you have checked the voltage of the new Pi.

OttovanZanten

Sat May 02, 2015 3:17 pm

No I didn't. What made you think that? It was put on wrong in the factory.

No I didn't try that. But I did do readouts of my previous Pi (and current adapter+cable) yesterday which proved that the power supply was adequate.
At first it seemed like a power problem so I replaced the charger with an identical one (because that model is very popular among Pi users in the Netherlands) and I changed the cable untill I found one that was short and of high quality. Then the low voltage notifications stopped and it booted more often.

It's possible that something inside the Pi is be messed up. It appeared that the previous Pi had a power issue, but I'm not a 100% sure. But since the adapter + cable are adequate and I replaced the Pi you would think that the new Pi dóes get enough juice.
And it did the first 10 boots. And then it failed to read the SD card twice. And then it booted 5 times and then it failed again once.

I really don't get how replacing the Pi, replacing the adapter and replacing the cable several times still doesn't prove to you guys that power supply isn't the issue. Especially since every Pi owner that gets their Pi from the same electronics store as me doesn't have problems with either of the parts. What am I missing here?

OttovanZanten

Sat May 02, 2015 3:38 pm

I can't test how much volt it gets while powering on, because I only have 2 hands and nobody around to help me, but when it's booted it's getting a constant 5.02 - 5.03 volts.

Edit:
I managed to power it on while keeping the multi-meter on pin 4 and 6 and I did get 4.49 volts before it went to 5.02 volts. But it's hard to say if it was actually that low or that it was just inaccurate because it takes the average over a certain amount of time. It refreshes about 3/4 times a second.
Again no low-voltage square and it did boot.

So far 3 boots out of 21 failed so it's acceptable. It's as good as it's gonna get because I can't go back for yet another adapter or cable. I've tested all suitable types they got and no other pi owners ever return their adapters or cables. Except the first crappy cable I got, but they accidentally sold me that one.

I guess it's possible that I got fake Integral MicroSDHC cards... the write speed was pretty decent, but you can never know for sure.

Does anybody know if I were to ever get a different single board computer like a hummingboard. Would that have the same problems? Or is that one a bit less nitpicky when it comes to SD cards and Power supply?

joan

Sat May 02, 2015 5:35 pm

Most of what you are saying is pointing to an inadequate power supply and/or power supply cable. Those are the obvious things to replace if you want to find the underlying problem.

OttovanZanten

Sun May 03, 2015 10:34 am

That's what I thought. That's why I replaced the cable first. But then I got the power squares and identical problems, even though the cable was of higher quality. Other Pi users have no problem with this cable. Then I replaced the adapter for an identical one (works for lots of other Pi users just fine) just in case it's a faulty one. Didn't help. Then I changed the cable again for my Tablet-charger-cable and it got a líttle better.

Why would adapters ánd cables that work for other Pi2 users not work for me?

fruitoftheloom

Sun May 03, 2015 10:41 am

adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

OttovanZanten

Sun May 03, 2015 11:48 am

Sadly they don't sell the official adapter in the Netherlands -,-
There are other USB chargers with cable attached, but there's no way to tell which one is good.
The only charger that I know is popular among dutch Pi users is the Velleman I've already bought 2 of.

rpi2_wagner

Sun May 03, 2015 9:47 pm

I just got my canakit raspberry pi 2 and I am trying to connect it to the internet but when I do
It says,
4-way handshake and out of random it either disconnects or scans. I tried going on epiphany and it is not possible to connect. And I am on NOOBS if that helps.
Please answer

RaTTuS

Tue May 05, 2015 9:37 am

start again from scratch
just install raspbian - not noobs
have a keyboard and screen plugged in
power the RPI up and see what happens what lights up and is displayed on the screen
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

drgeoff

Tue May 05, 2015 9:57 am

rpi2_wagner wrote:I just got my canakit raspberry pi 2 and I am trying to connect it to the internet but when I do
It says,
4-way handshake and out of random it either disconnects or scans. I tried going on epiphany and it is not possible to connect. And I am on NOOBS if that helps.
Please answer
Please do not hijack threads. Your problem has no connection whatsoever with the contents of this one.

OttovanZanten

Tue May 05, 2015 11:15 am

RaTTuS wrote:start again from scratch
just install raspbian - not noobs
have a keyboard and screen plugged in
power the RPI up and see what happens what lights up and is displayed on the screen
I never use Noobs. I rarely use a Mouse or Keyboard (if I do they are simple and use usb cables, nothing fancy)
Only HDMI and Ethernet are plugged in 99% of the time.

Red light lights up and doesn't flicker.
Green light usually flickers as you would expect, but when it dóesn't boot it's a solid green light. Maybe a few blinks before the solid light, but it's hard to tell as it doesn't happen too often.

If I want to know for sure what the green light does exáctly I have to try and boot it untill it fails, but I don't want to boot it 20 times in a row, because that will, improve the chance of it not booting it seems. I think it's because it's hot. I have heard similar problems from 1 or 2 other (local) Pi users. Just like the Old pi wouldn't boot if the SD or the Pi itself got hot.
Rebooting is also a good way to improve the chance of it failing.

But when it fails it hangs @ waiting for /dev to be populated and then I get endless rows of I/O errors and warnings about it not being able to read certain sectors.

Since I've replaced my Pi (previous one's MicroSD reader was put on crooked) the amount of failed boots went from 50% to about 12%. But except for that improvement the problem is identical.

I can accept how it functions now. More people (locals) report the same thing happening. It could still be a power thing. In the Netherlands the official adapters are not available, most adapters are cheap garbage so people tend to stick with their Mobile chargers. There is only about 1 good brand you can find in electronics stores. Velleman. I got that a 5v 3.1A Ipad charger from them and the best cable I could get my hands on (the one from my tablet) and the fastest SD card they sell in a local store that sells a buttload of Pi's. But since everybody uses different adapter it's hard to find more then a handful of people that use the same adapter as you. Making it hard to determine whether the adapter is actually good. My local electronics store says it works for all Pi customers they have, but I don't know if they sell a lot of Pi2's as well.

--

Does somebody know what makes a good adapter for the Pi2?
A friend of mine can just make or order me an adapter exáctly how I like it.
Because I got an adapter that delivers 3.1A @ 5v without dropping below 4.65V but people keep blaming the adapter and I assume they have a reason to do so.

drgeoff

Tue May 05, 2015 11:21 am

@OttovanZanten
I think RaTTuS was replying to the hijacker, not you.

Return to “Troubleshooting”