OttovanZanten

A few RPI2 problems.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:26 pm

Hello,

I've looked at every topic about all these problems on this forum and stackoverflow and didn't find a whole lot. I had a little overlap with many topics, but usually the problems were RP1 based, about poor or unsupported SD cards and weak or unstable adapters, but I don't think any of the topics explain my problems.

Sometimes my Pi won't boot.
With my first MicroSD card (new and supported 4gb class 6 Sandisk) I sometimes had it not load from the SD card and I got a solid green light. I was using a case and the sd card touched the case ever so slightly while in the holder, but it was possible that it changed the angle by a degree or 2 I guess. I tried removing the SD card and putting it back a few times and it seemed to work, but it might have been just random.

A few days later I ordered a new Integral class 10 16 GB MicroSDHC card that's in the supported list. But again it doesn't always boot. I get an HDMI signal to the TV, I see the rainbow screen and then it attemps to load but I get some I/O errors and the green and red light are on constantly. It keeps trying and trying but gets nowhere. I've had this since the second or third boot since getting this card.
After a boot or 6? (Of which 2 failed) I formatted the disc and reïnstalled the last Raspbian build. I also cut away some plastic so the SD card could slide in without rubbing against the case.
After that it worked fine for 2 or 3 boots, but today I had to try 5 times in a row to get into Raspbian. It was a bit hot at the moment as it was lying next to a PS3 that was on. (I saw some old RP1 heat problem topics so I thought I'd mention it)
Later it booted in the first or second try. I'm not sure.

It has never crashed. I had a single application lock up at one point but it worked fine again after 5 seconds. So I don't think it overheats or anything. I never just pull the plug, I shut the Pi down properly.
I haven't overclocked it or anything, I had barely put any software on it and only set up the way the UI looks, SSH and VCN, but no real config changes had been made. I use a 5V 3.1A Velleman adapter.

I think I remember reading that the I/O errors are usually associated with SD Card corruption. Do you guys think this is the case? Because it doesn't give me those errors all the time and when it finally boots I can change settings and download files on to the MicroSDHC without problems.

Then there's 2 more problems that might be related. My Pi is connected to my TV via HDMI, and the TV via the 3.5mm jack output to an Amp. Yea it's a bit of an oldschool set up. My Pi is connected to the network via a cable. When I have Pi, TV, Amp and Router on and shut down the Pi, my amp starts to buzz. When I disconnect the network cable or the HDMI cable the buzz stops.
This is not a big problem to me, but it reminds me of when an ungrounded guitar amp buzzes when you pull out the jack cable, so it made me think about grounding. I know very little about electronics, but I could imagine the buzzing (and maybe even the sd card problems?) could have something to do with the pi, modem, tv and amp not being grounded. They only have those 2 pole european plugs.

And then there's the problem that when I put my SD cards in the PC I only see about 56 mb of storage space in there. I have seen this before formatting the 4gb card, and after formatting they were still about 56 MB large according to the file explorer. In a different windows application I could see that there was more space, but I could only remove the second partition, not create a new one or resize the first partition. I could install a 3-ish GB? Raspbian image, so the space is still available, but can you never use it in the PC again after using it in the Pi? Or is it just my PC or (built in) Card reader acting funny?
Again no idea if related, but since the I/O error might have something to do with SD card corruption I thought I'd mention it here as well.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading, any info would be greatly appreciated. I don't wanna be that guy that shows up at the store blaming the Pi for something I could have fixed myself.
Last edited by OttovanZanten on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OttovanZanten

Re: A few RPI2 problems.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:01 am

udev[1342]: failed to execute lib/udev..................: Exec format error keeps scrolling by a lot.
As you can see right in the begin before it starts scrolling and it starts with different messages.
I have no idea what's going on but it might be relevant info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S39uKVbHBT0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m83TAiIs5H0

pluggy

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:11 am

The last problem isn't a problem, its absolutely normal. Crippled OSes like Windows have a very Parochial outlook on filesystems. As fas as Microsoft is concerned if it isn't formatted FAT or NTFS it doesn't exist. The Pi uses EXT4, which is entirely alien to microsoft. If the Class 6 works, I'd use that. The class 10 isn't going to achieve much if anything with a Pi. I'd put the problems with the class 10 card to it being a duff or its corrupting.

I'd try the Pi's number one issue (power) first. Try another power supply and another USB power lead if its seperate.

Another power supply might help with the buzzing issue too.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

OttovanZanten

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:15 am

Yea I thought it might have something to do with Windows.
But this means that all SD cards you use with a Pi can never be used to transfer files from Camera to Windows PC?

And no the other card doesn't work either. I've had the same problem as with the class 10 card, but also I've had it not read anything at all a few times.

Also... Should I just buy another 13 euro's adapter? Is there not a cheap way to check this problem? I do have very thin phone charger cables I could try, but they advise against using those. That's why they sell my Velleman charger with a slightly beefier cable.

rpdom

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:18 am

OttovanZanten wrote:Yea I thought it might have something to do with Windows.
But this means that all SD cards you use with a Pi can never be used to transfer files from Camera to Windows PC?
You could use the small first partition for transferring files. Or you could use a USB memory stick (or another SD card in adaptor). Or you could transfer over a network.

RaTTuS

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:22 am

first thing
just have the keyboard and hdmi plugged in - dont bother with the audio
[use HDMI audio as it's much better but ignore that for now]

having booted
do a
dmesg
do it say anything interesting
do a
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

is the power light flickering ?

is the case a tight fit ? it may be squashing the board in a way that is not right
try it without any case
Last edited by RaTTuS on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

pluggy

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:26 am

When I google Velleman Charger it comes up with bare circuit boards intended for NiCd/NiMh or Lead Acid batteries. What exactly are you using ?

Samsung smart phone chargers work for me or the holy of holies : http://swag.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... wer-supply

OttovanZanten

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:32 am

I always only have Ethernet and HDMI plugged in. Sómetimes a USB keyboard.

What's dsmg? I tried to use it as a command but that doesn't work. Should I get some software first?

I just installed the Os yesterday and did Update and Upgrade. I just did it again to make sure and no new files were upgraded installer or anything.

Power light is stable
Only green light is flickering as you'd imagine, but probably less then normal.

It's loose-ish in the case. No stress at all. However I can't take it out as there are 2 pins that go through the mounting holes and they hook in to the rubber. Can't explain better in english. I don't feel comfortable pulling it out because if I try and pull it out I'm sure I'll break something.

OttovanZanten

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:34 am

pluggy wrote:When I google Velleman Charger it comes up with bare circuit boards intended for NiCd/NiMh or Lead Acid batteries. What exactly are you using ?

Samsung smart phone chargers work for me or the holy of holies : http://swag.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... wer-supply
http://www.dertronics.nl/velleman-psseu ... zwart.html

This one.
If you want translation of anything let me know :) It's a Dutch brand, but it's well known for pretty high quality stuff and cool electronics kits including fancy DIY tube amps.
It's 3.1 Amps (or 2.1 + 1 if you use both USB plugs which I don't) and 5 Volts of course.

OttovanZanten

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:44 am

I just started it a few times again and of course just when you're trying to do some troubleshooting it keeps booting. But now I remember it always boots when I just come out of bed and probably a second time too. It's usually later that the problems start.

And the same happened this time, the fourth boot it failed and I removed the SD card and it was pretty warm. I remember this being a problem in the Pi1 for some people that the SD cards don't read properly when warm. I wouldn't describe it as hot, but it's just as warm as the back of my TV that's been sitting in the sun for 30 minutes. Pretty warm to the touch but still a pleasant temperature.

I also wiggled the MicroSDHC while booting (third try) and that didn't matter. It doesn't seem to be a crappy SD card reader unlike some topics i've seen.
Last edited by OttovanZanten on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:48 am

OttovanZanten wrote: What's dsmg? I tried to use it as a command but that doesn't work. Should I get some software first?
RaTTus meant dmesg.

The current kernel messages come out on a dmesg command. The old kernel messages are logged as /var/log/dmesg, /var/log/dmesg.1, etc.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

pluggy

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:50 am

It should be OK, provided the cable between it and the Pi is good quality and fairly short.

for dsmg try the correct command which is dmesg. ;)

RaTTuS

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:57 am

typo fixed :oops:
I'm having one of those days

the fact that the power light is not lit
means you are in a brown out situation - test the power on the test points , get a better micro USB lead

Covfefe

OttovanZanten

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:04 am

Where did you read that the power light is not lit?
It's lit all the time.

Usb Lead is good quality, but it is 6 feet long. But they sell it to everybody who comes in to buy an RPI at our local electronics store.
They usually know their stuff, but I can't say how many Pi's they sold or used. I could call them to ask if people have returned those or come back for shorter leads. I havn't gotten a single low-power notification BTW.

Also the most popular site in NL for Pi's is sossolution where they sell adapters with thinner and longer cables. They look like your old Nokia 3310 chargers or something like that. A big block with a super thin cable coming out. If cable length and thickness would be a massive problem I'd imagine 50% of Dutch Pi owners having massive problems.

Also I ran Dmesg. Can't tell you if it showed me any helpful info though xD But I guess running it is enough?

RogerFulcher

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:09 am

I would suspect the power lead you are using from the power supply to the PI. The power supply looks adequate, but some USB leads are not up to supplying enough current, so you get a voltage drop across the lead. It sounds like it may be droping the voltage to close to the minimum for the PI to boot properly. Try a different lead, preferably a thicker one if available, but that is no garantee of the size of the cores inside the lead.

Have you got a multimeter? Can you check the voltage accross TP1 & TP2?
OttovanZanten wrote:
pluggy wrote:When I google Velleman Charger it comes up with bare circuit boards intended for NiCd/NiMh or Lead Acid batteries. What exactly are you using ?

http://www.dertronics.nl/velleman-psseu ... zwart.html

This one.
If you want translation of anything let me know :) It's a Dutch brand, but it's well known for pretty high quality stuff and cool electronics kits including fancy DIY tube amps.
It's 3.1 Amps (or 2.1 + 1 if you use both USB plugs which I don't) and 5 Volts of course.

OttovanZanten

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:23 am

Yea it's the only thing that could be a problem at this point I think...

I'm heading back to the store to get me an SB2498 cable, I just talked to them over the phone and they told me I should have gotten a better cable (even though they advised me the current one -_- )

Íf it's a problem with the cable, do you think I should have gotten low-power notifications when it did happen to boot? Or can it be a power problem that's ónly happening when booting?

And yeah I was thinking about getting an official charger, but they don't sell those in any of the Pi stores I could find in the Netherlands :(

Also here's another video.
This is what I see in the beginning. The other video's were taken later on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi37Ehf ... nnel=OJJVZ
I really hope somebody recognizes these errors...

Edit:

Oh wait! I totally forgot to mention the green light. Red is on all the time, Green blinks a couple of times and then comes on permanently when it gives me all those errors.
Last edited by OttovanZanten on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

RaTTuS

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:35 am

yes that boot is bad.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install pastebinit
dmesg | pastebinit
may help us

Covfefe

OttovanZanten

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:39 am

http://paste.debian.net/169881

What do you mean with a bad boot?
Bad install? Voltage drop while booting? Something else?

pluggy

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:52 pm

RogerFulcher wrote:
Can you check the voltage accross TP1 & TP2?
Its a Pi2. TP1 & TP2 died with the demise of the old school Pis.

Pity really, grubbing around on the pads on the bottom or the GPIO pins is a pain.

OttovanZanten

Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:55 pm

So I went back to the store. I called earlier and he mentioned that a better cable might work. So I lay the old cable on the counter and tell him that it doesn't boot properly most of the time etcetera. The guy behind the counter tells me 'yeah, everybody returns these cables and switch them for better ones'
WTH! So I ask him then why the hell do you guys recommend this cheap cable? 'We don't'
So I tell him his coworker recommended me this one and he got all quit and I got a refund for my old cable luckily and now finally I have a working adapter. I hope. They should really sell the universal adapters here...

So far it's booted correctly 4 times in a row! I'll boot another few times today to see if it keeps working.

Edit:
Nope!
5th and 6th try it gave me the same problems as before.
Getting so fed up with my Pi... I don't know what to try now and I don't really feel like trying either.
I've spent over 10 hours trying to get it to work properly and I could have spent this time fixing other people's PC and making money.
I'm gonna return it and try if another Pi works I think and if that also fails my Pi adventure stops here. Unless somebody's got a brilliant idea.

OttovanZanten

Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:38 pm

Ooh, a new error!

After giving the same crap as usual I got this:

Click to enlarge

And I could actually log in! I didn't try, but it's better then usual.
Any idea of this is related to my usual problem?
Last edited by OttovanZanten on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaTTuS

Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:39 pm

looks a good boot to me

Covfefe

OttovanZanten

Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:41 pm

Hm... I don't remember getting warnings.
But then I usually turn it on headless and via SSH you don't get all that text.

OttovanZanten

Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:06 pm

'Good news everyone!'

I get rainbow-squares in the corner while booting before I get the errors.
I think that's new... which is weird... but it's possible that I just missed it. It's very unlikely that you miss it every single time, because I was paying attention to that kinda stuff, but you never know... I do boot headless a lot.

Anyways I called again and the guy told me to come by and replace the charger.
It's a good brand, but it's always possible you happen to get a bad one.

I tend to have that a LOT ...
rpdom wrote:
OttovanZanten wrote:Yea I thought it might have something to do with Windows.
You could use the small first partition for transferring files. Or you could use a USB memory stick (or another SD card in adaptor). Or you could transfer over a network.
But after using it in the Pi once I can néver use it again as I could use it before? That seems odd.

DougieLawson

Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:11 pm

The rainbow square in the top right means your power supply isn't good enough to power the RPi and all your USB devices. If the square disappears before the boot is complete you can ignore it. If it stays on then you need to get a better power supply and/or better USB-A to microUSB cable.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Troubleshooting”