HannuT

Pi2 won't stay off

Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:11 pm

Hi,
I have Pi 2 with OSMC connected to Sony TV with HDMI.
I have tried "stop", "shutdown" or just turning off the tv but nothing works.

After some random time the Pi2 stars itself. As result TV turns on and this is very likely often in the middle of the night... very irritating.
After "shutdown" the Pi2 looks like it is off i.e. no lights.

Any ideas how to fix that?
Power should be ok. Bought the power supply with the Pi.

shuckle

Re: Pi2 won't stay off

Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:27 pm

Sounds lke your power source goes down and then up. This way it restarts the rpi. Do you have anything connected to gpios?

HannuT

Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:23 pm

Nothing on gpios.
Connected are: TV (HDMI), lan-cable and power supply.
Power is Deltaco USB charger (2,1A) so I concider that quite ok power supply.

kriss

Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:40 pm

try to remove the cable of the charger
if your pi2 can reboot without electricity you surelly will resell it 10G$ ;)

shuckle

Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:43 pm

But it is a fact that you can not turn rpi on with ethernet or hdmi.
Strange that it reboots on its own.

HannuT

Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:48 pm

Ehe ehe Kriss... :)
That is what I do now so I do not need to wake up in the middle of the night when the Pi wakes up the TV...
Disconnecting power is theonly way to keep Pi from booting on its own.

electronicsguy

Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:37 pm

HannuT wrote:Nothing on gpios.
Connected are: TV (HDMI), lan-cable and power supply.
Power is Deltaco USB charger (2,1A) so I concider that quite ok power supply.
the power source may be ok on paper, but not necessarily in action. One way to verify it would be to connect an oscilloscope to record the voltage. After you shudtown the pi, do you see any strange spikes with the voltage going down and coming back up again. if so, that will restart your pi.
blog: https://electronicsguy.wordpress.com
github: https://github.com/electronicsguy

RobHenry

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:57 pm

You can prevent the TV from switching on by putting hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1 in config.text.

jbeale

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:31 pm

random idea... the HDMI standard specifies +5V on pin 18 of the HDMI connector, to be provided by the signal source, capable of at least 55 mA, and limited to less than 0.5 A.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snva412a/snva412a.pdf

Could the HDMI input port on the TV be occasionally switching to a signal output, and then supply enough current at +5V to power up the Pi ? Seems more likely if you have it routed through some kind of automatic HDMI switch box where a port can be automatically switched from input to output.

jbeale

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:36 pm

HannuT wrote:Ehe ehe Kriss... :)
That is what I do now so I do not need to wake up in the middle of the night when the Pi wakes up the TV... Disconnecting power is the only way to keep Pi from booting on its own.
Oh, you still had the +5V supply to the Pi plugged in? I assumed it was disconnected. The Pi does not have a true "OFF" mode from software, I think the processor (either ARM, and/or the GPU) simply goes into an endless loop that could end in a reboot and restart if there is anything that interrupts it, possibly including some random ESD event, signal from TV, AC line power fluctuation etc.

HannuT

Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:23 pm

Oh...
So if I am reading this right the only way to prevent spontaneous start is to unplug the power?
Bit inconvenient... :(

I will try that HDMI trick so if it works Pi may restart but would not start the tv.

shuckle

Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:45 pm

That does not happen with my pis, so you could try another power source as that is the probable reason for the start.

Joe Schmoe

Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:06 pm

It just occurred to me that the best way to handle this problem (handle, not fix)
would be to get a normal electronic timer - the kind used to turn Christmas lights on and off at set times.
I don't know about you, but I have lots of these devices laying around my house...

Then you could set it to turn power off when you don't want the Pi to be on.

Note: This solution actually addresses the "I want my Pi off for some fixed, known part of the day, and I want it on at other fixed, known times." I.e., say you want it on from 7 AM to 7 PM. Then this little timer doodle is the perfect solution (*). I don't know if this is exactly the OP's situation or not...

(*) Of course, you program the Pi to do a "init 0" at, say, 6:55 PM. Then the power gets cut at 7, and comes back on (rebooting the Pi) at 7 AM.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

BMS Doug

Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:52 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:It just occurred to me that the best way to handle this problem (handle, not fix)
would be to get a normal electronic timer - the kind used to turn Christmas lights on and off at set times.
I don't know about you, but I have lots of these devices laying around my house...

Then you could set it to turn power off when you don't want the Pi to be on.

Note: This solution actually addresses the "I want my Pi off for some fixed, known part of the day, and I want it on at other fixed, known times." I.e., say you want it on from 7 AM to 7 PM. Then this little timer doodle is the perfect solution (*). I don't know if this is exactly the OP's situation or not...

(*) Of course, you program the Pi to do a "init 0" at, say, 6:55 PM. Then the power gets cut at 7, and comes back on (rebooting the Pi) at 7 AM.
one of the RF switched sockets would also do the trick (allowing you to turn it on and off without getting up)

I'm not sure if this would work by what not leave the Pi completely On, turn off the TV but leave the Pi running.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Joe Schmoe

Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:02 pm

I'm not sure if this would work by what not leave the Pi completely On, turn off the TV but leave the Pi running.
Huh?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

obcd

Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:49 am

Try to pinpoint the cause of it's behavour.
You can try another power supply to see if it still happens with that.
Maybe your supply decides to switch off it's output voltage if it's load falls below a treshold, which might happen when the Pi is in standby.
You can disconnect the HDMI cable and check if the Pi still turns on overnight when that cable is disconnected.
You can try with another Pi. Maybe you have a defective one.
There is an article about how it can reset due to a strong light flash, but I don't think you have those at night. It proves that not much is needed to generate a reset.

HannuT

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:08 pm

Will do...
Another power already tested but did not help.
Testing continues...

BMS Doug

Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:08 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
Huh?
re-reading the original post, he has already tried that, which I missed somehow.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

HannuT

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:33 pm

I may have found the problem.
I was using ac extension which has master-slave function. I changed that to normal extension and now Pi has not been restarting for 48h... fingers crossed :)
So most likely the master-slave function was cauding some current peaks.

H.

Return to “Troubleshooting”