schristmann

Red light goes off when SD card inserted

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:56 am

I've tried searching for this issue but haven't found anyone else having this problem. I came back from vacation recently and noticed the pi wasn't working, no lights, no nothing. After playing with it for a bit I've found that if I remove the SD card the red light on the board comes back on. Plug the SD card back in and the red light goes off. I'm not sure if this means I have a dead SD card, or a dead board? Any thoughts?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Red light goes off when SD card inserted

Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:34 am

schristmann wrote:I've tried searching for this issue but haven't found anyone else having this problem. I came back from vacation recently and noticed the pi wasn't working, no lights, no nothing. After playing with it for a bit I've found that if I remove the SD card the red light on the board comes back on. Plug the SD card back in and the red light goes off. I'm not sure if this means I have a dead SD card, or a dead board? Any thoughts?
What model of Pi? Damaged (bent/crumpled) SDHC card contacts perhaps?
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

obcd

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:13 pm

Maybe your power adapter is dead. With the sd card inserted, it will consume more current.
This might drop the power adapter output voltage so that the led goes out.
Any chanche you have another adapter you could use to test?
Another option is measuring the output voltage if you have the equipment for that.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:21 pm

Perhaps the OP could clarify something... Are you removing and inserting the SD card while the Pi has power applied to it, or are you disconnecting the power before inserting or removing the SD card?

DougieLawson

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:26 pm

Very bad things happen when you pull (or click out) an SDcard when your RPi is using it for the root filesystem.

If the RPi doesn't boot with the card inserted, assume it's a very dead card.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

schristmann

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:17 am

Hey guys sorry I'm taking awhile to respond.

1. It's a model B, it happen while i was on vacation so nothing was bent or damaged.
2. I tried another power plug for an android phone, same things still.
3. If I plug it in when the SD card is out, the red light comes on. If the SD card is inserted prior to plugging, the red light never comes on. I can also insert and remove the card with the power on and watch the red light come on and go off. It happens as soon as the contacts on the SD card make contact with the metal slots in the card reader.
4. I understand that bad things happen if unplugging during boot, but it never even reaches that phase, the green light never even comes on.

DougieLawson

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:42 am

Buy a new SDCard, put a fresh copy of NOOBS (or plain Raspbian) on it and try that.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

obcd

Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:23 pm

You could try the SD card in your PC to see if it's broken before you buy a new one.
If the SD card is fine, it's time to check if your Pi is still under warranty in my humble opinion.

schristmann

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:22 pm

I managed to borrow an sd card from a camera to try simply plugging it in. With a different SD card the red light manages to stay on. So I guess it means the noobs card that came with the pi is simply dead now. Maybe there was a power problem or something while I was away. Next step is to see if it's the actual micro sd card that is fried, or just the adapter

drgeoff

Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:32 am

There are no electronics in the adaptors. An open circuit in one would not cause the power LED to go out. A short possibly could.

Return to “Troubleshooting”