BlackRa1n

USB Not Connecting

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Hello,
I'm new to the Rapberry Pi and only got it today. Please bare with me, as I am only 15 :P
I want to connect my USB to my Pi, but I have had no luck. I have tried connecting it through my powered USB Hub and via the USB ports that come with the Pi.
I have tried using other methods, such as using another SD Card and plugging my SD Card Reader into my Pi with another SD Card in, still nothing.

If somebody could help me with this, it would be much appreciated! :)

juliang

Re: USB Not Connecting

Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:35 pm

You wrote: I want to connect my USB to my Pi, but I have had no luck. I have tried connecting it through my powered USB Hub and via the USB ports that come with the Pi.
I have tried using other methods, such as using another SD Card and plugging my SD Card Reader into my Pi with another SD Card in, still nothing.

I'm confused what you are trying to do. Have you managed to switch your Raspberry Pi on? Have you got a working operating system and are trying to attach a USB device to the Pi? If not, how did you set up your SD card?

BlackRa1n

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:49 am

juliang wrote:You wrote: I want to connect my USB to my Pi, but I have had no luck. I have tried connecting it through my powered USB Hub and via the USB ports that come with the Pi.

I'm confused what you are trying to do. Have you managed to switch your Raspberry Pi on? Have you got a working operating system and are trying to attach a USB device to the Pi? If not, how did you set up your SD card?
Sorry for not being clear!
I have my Pi up and running using Debian. I've logged in and all that stuff, but I wanted to transfer files between my Laptop and Pi using a USB. The Pi won't detect the USB though and I have tried using powered USB hub too, but to no success! :(

itimpi

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:07 am

If you plug in a USB stik or a SD card in a USB SD reader then it will almost certainly appear as device /dev/sda.

Depending on the distribution you are using, you may then have to use a manual command to make it visible in the Pi. If that is the case you can use a command like

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
to mount the first partition on the device as /mnt on the Pi.

BlackRa1n

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:11 am

It appears that it may be a fault with my USB Hub. When I unplug it from my Pi and plug my USB into the Pi, the Pi detects it.
If it is something to do with the Hub, it would explain the smell of burning electronics coming from it...
Man, I am stooopid. xD

Thanks for the help, guys! :)

clickykbd

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:36 am

Assuming your problems are just related to knowing where to look for it and getting it mounted:

Check /var/log/messages as you plug in your USB stick/card to see which device entry it gave it, look for sda* (or other letter if you have other devices)

tail -f/var/log/messages
ctrl-c to quit watching that file.

If it was recognized, inspect the partition table, maybe it has more than one partition?

sudo fdisk /dev/sda
p - print/view
q - quit
(don't change anything)

Glancing in /dev looking for sda# entries is another way. If it is only one partition it will be /dev/sda1, but perhaps the partition you want is otherwise numbered.

Then mount it, as the previous author mentioned, you can create a directory for it under media if you are going to use it often.

sudo mkdir /media/myusb
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/myusb
That should work if it can auto-detect the filesystem type. If you want it to always mount, or mount as a different user/owner etc. You'll need to do some more reading on automount, fstab, mount, etc.

man mount
man fstab
Be sure to unmount it cleanly before pulling the device, especially true on some less-tolerant file system types.

sudo umount /media/myusb
*or*
sudo umount /dev/sda1
If it is a windows filesystem it might be a good idea to "sync" before unmounting/pulling it, just in case, this forces any changes in the buffer to be actually written to disk. This is also useful after you edit anything in the /boot partition, which is vfat/win32 type. There are fstab/mount options that can change this behavior per partition entry, if performance is not an issue on some devices.

sync
Maybe you knew most of this, but others may find it a useful guide?

PS - I feel like some kind of automouting would be a useful thing to ship with the Pi distributions, for exactly this reason for young/new users.

Burngate

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:46 pm

BlackRa1n wrote:... it would explain the smell of burning electronics coming from it...
Man, I am stooopid. xD
Maybe not stupid, maybe you have a cold?

Return to “Troubleshooting”