Ronnie N

Pi's ram slowly filling (lighter Raspbian alternative?)

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:36 am

Hello,

I have little problem with my Pi.I usse Raspbian as OS. I run a Mumble (VoIP) server on it and some other services. All very low in ram usage. When I boot the Pi about 220 MB of ram is free. A few hours after boot, only 12 MB of ram is left. Does anybody know why this happens?

Also, is there a lightweight Raspbian image? Because I only run a few services and don't need a full OS.

Thanks in advance,

Ronald

obcd

Re: Pi's ram slowly filling (lighter Raspbian alternative?)

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:27 pm

Maybe one of the things you installed has a memory leak. If a program allocates memory for a resource and doesn't release it properly, it will gradually use more and more memory. You can run top from a command prompt to see what is running and how much memory it is consuming.
You can quit top with the q button.
You can tweak raspbian yourself and disable all unused services. The startup text gives a good indication of all what is started at bootup. It's just not always easy to figure out where and how a service is started. Also, some services depend upon others.
Another thing that can be tweaked is the kernel. You will need to rebuild it with some of it's drivers and functions disabled.
Another approach is using something like yocto to build a minimalistic linux. This basically works opposite. You start with nothing and adds the stuff you need.
You could also buy the pi2 with double the memory.

RaTTuS

Re: Pi's ram slowly filling (lighter Raspbian alternative?)

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:39 pm

what does
free
say ?
are you reading it right?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Return to “Troubleshooting”