stu232

Power problem..

Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Can anyone help?

My Pi 2 is powered using a 5v 2.0 amp usb PSU.

I've only just realised that the colourful rainbow square in the top right hand corner of my screen isn't just an innocent 'busy' icon, it's actually a warning telling me that the Pi 2 isn't receiving enough power!

So I swapped out my PSU for another rated at 1.5amp and this gave the same results, little rainbow square flashing on and off.

Regardless of which image I use I always get this warning.

To cut a long story short, I have six 5v USB psu's, all of them (according to the Pi 2) aren't supplying enough power. 3 of the psu's have removable usb cables and I've replaced these with good quality cables that I bought from Maplins but it's still the same.

I know I can disable the warning in the config.txt but that won't help as I intend to overclock my Pi and whenever it detects a power issue it automatically reduces the CPU clock.

I have removed everything from the Pi. HDMI (connected via composite), LAN, Keyboard and mouse and still I get the power warning.

Even when I use my powered usb hub to power my peripherals the Pi claims that it is being under powered.

Could I have faulty hardware or should I just buy a 3amp psu?

Can someone recommend a USB cable and 3amp PSU that is guaranteed to work, preferably something that can be bought on the high street and not online.

DougieLawson

Re: Power problem..

Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:39 pm

stu232 wrote: I've only just realised that the colourful rainbow square in the top right hand corner of my screen isn't just an innocent 'busy' icon, it's actually a warning telling me that the Pi 2 isn't receiving enough power!

So I swapped out my PSU for another rated at 1.5amp and this gave the same results, little rainbow square flashing on and off.

Regardless of which image I use I always get this warning.
In that case start by replacing the thin wet string with a small strand of copper (usb cable) with something better.
http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/fabri ... usb-noodle
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

stu232

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:31 pm

Thanks Dougie I'll order one straight away. :)

I've tried replacing the cable with a few I bought in Maplins, I guess those were just cheap ones being sold as good quality.

stu232

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:15 pm

Sorted it. :D

I noticed that my power led was flashing intermittently so I had a closer look at the micro usb socket.

Turns out that my micro usb socket has a slight 'wiggle' to it if I pressed my finger against it. I grabbed my hot air gun and reflowed the solder,now the socket is rock solid.

I retested all my old usb cables and every one of them are working great, no power warnings at all, even using the super cheap Poundland cables. :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”