MrZippy

RPi2 Operating Hot

Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:20 pm

Hello,

I'm doing some testing with my RPi2, and I notice it runs significantly hotter than the B+. Even with a fan on it.. it runs 95 degrees at idle (according to the hardware info from OpenElec system info in Kodi 14.2).

The B+ was running ~40 degrees or so. I can't find any documentation as to what the operating temperatures are supposed to be.. can someone assist?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: RPi2 Operating Hot

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:12 pm

95degC?

Should have throttled itself back once it went over 85, so should never get that hot. I'd suspect a faulty bit of code in Kodi (or somewhere) getting it wrong.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

kalandok13

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:27 pm

just in case you are truly pushing the limits and all software is configured as expected.

may be worth investing in this http://thepihut.com/collections/raspber ... i-heatsink

disclosure: I have not bought/tested one myself.

DougieLawson

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:50 pm

jamesh wrote:95degC?
I'd suspect something has taken the raw value, divided it by 5, multiplied it by 9 and added 32. 35°C is higher than my RPi2 runs at.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Douglas6

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:52 pm

Perhaps it is running 99F now, and was previously running ~40C before?

I just recently installed openelec and noticed it (properly) defaulted to Fahrenheit, or perhaps based it on timezone, maybe.

DougieLawson

Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:48 pm

Douglas6 wrote:Perhaps it is running 99F now, and was previously running ~40C before?

I just recently installed openelec and noticed it (properly) defaulted to Fahrenheit, or perhaps based it on timezone, maybe.
When are you primitives going to adopt Napoleon's weights and measures and a sensible temperature scale? I hope it's based on timezone and locale because I wouldn't want Fahrenheit even if I were in your timezone.

I noticed NASA still use °F when they were lighting up that big #QM1 firework solid rocket booster yesterday.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Douglas6

Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:08 pm

DougieLawson wrote:When are you primitives going to adopt Napoleon's weights and measures and a sensible temperature scale?
When they made us learn metric in grade school, Teacher said "within 10 years, we'll all be using it." That was over 40 years ago.

MrZippy

Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:20 pm

So... I have to laugh at my own blindness. I had forgotten to change the Localization to Canada.. which expresses temperature in Celsius, not Farenheit. When I switched that over.. it gets the RPi2 to a more reasonable 36.3 C. That aligns better with my universe. Feel free to chuckle.. i deserve it :)

Still, I haven't been able to find a full tech specs sheet with standard operating temps etc.. has anyone come across that?

pluggy

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:09 pm

Less than 85C. :)

Normal is whatever its running at when less than 85C.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

kusti8

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Douglas6 wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:When are you primitives going to adopt Napoleon's weights and measures and a sensible temperature scale?
When they made us learn metric in grade school, Teacher said "within 10 years, we'll all be using it." That was over 40 years ago.
The whole world uses the metric scale with sensible numbers like 1000 m in a kilometer while us Americans have 5280ft in a mile. 5280!
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

electronicsguy

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:44 pm

kusti8 wrote:
Douglas6 wrote:
The whole world uses the metric scale with sensible numbers like 1000 m in a kilometer while us Americans have 5280ft in a mile. 5280!
Actually no. You share that distinction with another amazing country: Burma (or Myanmar) :)
blog: https://electronicsguy.wordpress.com
github: https://github.com/electronicsguy

Joe Schmoe

Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:11 pm

kusti8 wrote:
Douglas6 wrote:
(I'm not sure where you are posting from, but I will assume the UK - unless/until corrected)

Keep in mind that the UK, although it "officially" went metric in 1965, it still uses "old style" units informally. I found this text during some online research:
Even 50 years later, many Britons still refuse to move entirely to metric. Distances are still measure in miles, yards and inches, weight in pounds and stones, even pints and gallons are still used.
BTW, according to my sources, there are exactly 3 countries that don't use the metric system:
  1. Burma
  2. Liberia
  3. USA
Finally, note that Canada, like the UK, is a mishmash. Although officially metric, old style is used quite often, particularly in the western provinces. So, if a Canadian quotes you anything, make sure they give you the units along with the number. Canada is this way because it is in a very bad position indeed - they want to do the right thing, but their biggest trading partner won't get with the program.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

DougieLawson

Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:23 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:
Keep in mind that the UK, although it "officially" went metric in 1965, it still uses "old style" units informally. I found this text during some online research:
Even 50 years later, many Britons still refuse to move entirely to metric. Distances are still measure in miles, yards and inches, weight in pounds and stones, even pints and gallons are still used.
I learned both in school. I normally use metric. I do drink beer in units of 568ml (the 20oz pint) and milk is still sold in the same units (the pint is a legally mandated measure for beer). Spirits are served in units of 25ml (it used to be 1/6th gill). Distances between towns are measured in units of 1.609344Km and speed limits in units of 1.,609344Km/h. I buy petrol in litres. I weigh things in grams and kilograms. I read temperatures in Celsius.

Unlike too many UKIP supporters and the other far right wing folks I'll be quite happy to measure distances and speed in km and km/h and drink short pints (500ml) of our warm brown hoppy beer. The only lasting benefit of learning pounds and ounces is that hexadecimal makes sense.

rpdom

Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:02 am

DougieLawson wrote: The only lasting benefit of learning pounds and ounces is that hexadecimal makes sense.
Ah, the good old methods (I use both systems for weight and general measurements, but miles for distances).
16 Ounces in a Pound, 14 Pounds in a Stone, 8 Stone in a Hundredweight, 20 Hundredweight in a Ton... makes soooo much sense ;)

kusti8

Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:18 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:
(I'm not sure where you are posting from, but I will assume the UK - unless/until corrected)

BTW, according to my sources, there are exactly 3 countries that don't use the metric system:
  1. Burma
  2. Liberia
  3. USA
Finally, note that Canada, like the UK, is a mishmash. Although officially metric, old style is used quite often, particularly in the western provinces. So, if a Canadian quotes you anything, make sure they give you the units along with the number. Canada is this way because it is in a very bad position indeed - they want to do the right thing, but their biggest trading partner won't get with the program.
Actually I'm posting from the US. It doesn't seem like it's going to be resolved anytime soon. I use miles and ft, since that was the way I was taught, but the metric system looks more logical.

Just something that annoys me 8-)
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Joe Schmoe

Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:38 am

Burma
Liberia
USA
Incidentally, to clarify the above:
  1. Burma uses a unique system of their own design that corresponds to no known standard. But they are going metric sometime in the next few years.
  2. Liberia has no official system at all. They just use whatever is convenient for any given transaction (US system when dealing with the US, metric with pretty much everyone else).
  3. The US uses the US system.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Return to “Troubleshooting”